Email Backup or Archive on/from Mac?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

I have a friend who has many many years of carefully filed emails on her Mac, which is now ageing and she feels an upgrade may be in order.

She's worried about losing the emails and is after some sort of future-proofed backup / archive facility for her emails before upgrading. I did suggest an external drive as backup but apparently the current one has died.

She does still use her current archive system (within the email client) actively.

I'm not a Mac person so can't really suggest anything appropriate. However I did think that something text-based like an XML schema, so it's viewable by a simple text editor and forever, might be useful. I know emails are text-based but obviously attachments such as images and so on may be a little harder in this format.

Anything the hive can suggest?

Many thanks.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Buy another external drive and enable Time Machine. It's one of the most user friendly backup softwares on the market and ships free with OS X on a Mac (from 10.6 onwards I believe but happy to be corrected)

You can also use the time machine backup to move data from an old Mac to a new one (should you wish to afford one as they're a bit "I usually get kissed first!" in the price dept.)

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I may be wrong but if she creates or already has an iCloud account, there is an option to store all email folders into the iCloud, then she can use the new Mac (or any apple device) to then access the emails.

I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but google will be your friend with this,

Hope she gets it sorted

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE