Bow Saw- Should Have Check Before Buying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hi all,

Well as the title says :rolleyes:

I recently bough from the bay this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182173235787?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was mainly thinking usage for occasional use and of course compactness.

So I receive this and am quite impressed. Then I notice the saw blade has a pin passing through both ends that holds it in place in the tubular part. (called I believe Pin Ends)

Can I find extra blades like these for wood cutting measuring 12"? Nope I cannot :(

Does anyone know where to buy extra blades for this? Or I was thinking buying a metal rod, cutting it down to small dowels and insert into the holed ends of a regular blade.....what metal grade/diameter would I need here?

Thanks and cheers and let this be a warning to all of "Buyer Beware" :>

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
I do not want to make the holes. I need the blades with the pins already there. If I need to make my own pins was also looking for help on type of material to buy to make the pins etc.

Bear mears

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2017
Wolverhampton
American but its all I could find. Making your own I'd suggest buying longer blade and cutting down then find some sort of strong rivet and adjust accordingly. https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-BOW12.XX/Gramercy_Tools_12"_Bow_Saw_Blades

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The pins wont need to be anything special, a nail would do it. Anything above yer average mild steel would be perfect

I wouldn't worry too much right now though that blade is likely to last a long time

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Look in a junk shop, find some old hand drill bits. Pick one or two that fit the blade holes..If it's American the holes will be non metric.
Put the drill bit in a vice, cutting section facing down, plain shank upper most. Whack it with a hammer ( put a cloth over it..mind your eyes it might fly) That will leave you with a short length of steel pin to fit the hole and it won't break/bend in normal use.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I give up, you're right they don't exist.

Why not roll pins? They're usually carbon or spring steel, are cheap, can be salvaged from a broken or blunt blade for re-use, don't need heat to apply like a soldered pin, won't slip if they're sized correctly the list of 'why to' just goes on and on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE