What is it? Plus - One for the Bag Makers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up

I purchased this bag some time back with the intention to cannibalise it for the material but then found something else and put the bag to one side.

More recently, needing a small bag simply to stow something in my motor, I dug the bag out and became aware of an unusual/useful aspect of it.

The bag is made from a heavy grade PVC proofed Cordura, British Army type Olive Green and has a capacity of about 20/25litres.

It is of a very simple construction –

An open topped tube with a roll-top and Velcro closure method.

The carrying straps and the attachment points are of cotton webbing with old style British Army ladder buckles.

There are no military designation panels or civilian manufacturer detail on the bag.

The construction standard is military grade.

Is it of military manufacturer origin (Home or foreign) or a bespoke one-off?
The materials suggest the period between '58 pattern and the '80s Olive green Cordura period. I don't recall seeing owt like it during my service.

The carrying strap method is one which I haven’t come across before and may be of interest to those in BCUK who make/adapt bags themselves.

In the configuration shown the bag can be carried in two ways –

The overlap section of the strap comes naturally to hand when picking the bag up off the floor, short carry/movement wise and when pulled completely upwards, creates a single loop so that the bag can be worn shoulder bag style.

The sewn together joining overlap in the centre of the straps prevents them from sliding through the central fixings and the bag can be worn rucksack style.

At the time of purchase the straps were additionally threaded through the buckle attachment points on either side of the bag but this made for an awkward and uncomfortable carry in either ruck or shoulder bag style and I may be wrong but suspect that they are solely to create a shoulder bag style carry with a long, over the head-and-shoulder style carry.

Oddruck1..jpg Oddruck2..jpg

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
I remembered buying something similar about 4 years ago at a country fair. It was sold as an end of line item. No brand name, stock number or markings.

In my case, the straps were rigged separately in conventional backpack fashion, but used like that, the buckles sat on my shoulder blades, so I fashioned a longer strap to go acrossy body.

fba6ef08d42d50478c11cca79cd558b8.jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Potboiler - the one in your image looks very much the same - it's purpose is a mystery.

Twodogs - I think that the capacity is far too great for a respirator bag.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Twodogs is right. Google "Danish army roll top rucksack"

It looks like they are often without straps so merchants fit them with old British straps.

Z

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Looks about right for mine, and retrofitting old straps or commercial webbing would help explain the odd set-up.

But I take Jaeger's point about it being on the large side compared to (say) British army resi bag.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Two Dogs - Nice one - you are spot on.

Re the size of it I can only assume that the Danes either had a HUUUGE respirator or they stored all the associated kit in there - suit/boots/gloves/detector papers/kit/dosimeter/small armoured NBC detector vehicle........:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE