First Custom Silencer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Hi fellas made my first air rifle silencer all from Aluminium screw cut for 1/2 UNF its 9 inches long and 32mm diameter its now ready for paint cheers for looking :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
How many baffles do you have in there and was that perforated tube something that you made (sheet rolled into a tube?)? Hope it works well for you. There is something very satisfying about making something like this that doesn't just look good, but performs too!

About 17 years ago I made this thing during my last week's at college (the 1/2" thread hadn't yet been cut in this pic). Worked great for a while (years), but eventually started to clip pellets right at the last baffle. Not sure how much the foam damping did, but without knowing anything I now realise that I had created an effective air stripper as the first chamber after the muzzle and that was probably the most important part of the whole assembly.

I have modified a Theoben unit recently and found that the thin felt sold for craft purposes was not anywhere near as effective for damping compared to heavy 5mm thick stuff I raided from my mum's stash. Wish I knew where to buy small quantities of that stuff.

Turning_zpsvietbhmx.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
How many baffles do you have in there and was that perforated tube something that you made (sheet rolled into a tube?)? Hope it works well for you. There is something very satisfying about making something like this that doesn't just look good, but performs too!

About 17 years ago I made this thing during my last week's at college (the 1/2" thread hadn't yet been cut in this pic). Worked great for a while (years), but eventually started to clip pellets right at the last baffle. Not sure how much the foam damping did, but without knowing anything I now realise that I had created an effective air stripper as the first chamber after the muzzle and that was probably the most important part of the whole assembly.

I have modified a Theoben unit recently and found that the thin felt sold for craft purposes was not anywhere near as effective for damping compared to heavy 5mm thick stuff I raided from my mum's stash. Wish I knew where to buy small quantities of that stuff.

Turning_zpsvietbhmx.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
Hi cheers yes perf was in sheet form and rolled think bigger holes may work better but will test it out there are to baffles inside with washers :)

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Interesting project, do you have a Lathe?

I have played making a few air rifle silencers over the years but got fed up with making baffles. Then I bought some 38mm OD Alloy tube and found that the ID was the same size as Impulse (or similar) body spray cans. These have a nice preformed dished bottoms, I just machined them to length and drilled the hole (I have a metal working Lathe) and hey presto they stack up inside the tube.

My latest silencer is an active one ( it has an internal valve that diverts some of the gas out the back reducing the forward sound) and is very quite. In fact it's that good I shot one rabbit reloaded and shot it's friend sat next to it with out spooking him ;) and I still get just under 12ft/lb through it.

Rich

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Interesting project, do you have a Lathe?

I have played making a few air rifle silencers over the years but got fed up with making baffles. Then I bought some 38mm OD Alloy tube and found that the ID was the same size as Impulse (or similar) body spray cans. These have a nice preformed dished bottoms, I just machined them to length and drilled the hole (I have a metal working Lathe) and hey presto they stack up inside the tube.

My latest silencer is an active one ( it has an internal valve that diverts some of the gas out the back reducing the forward sound) and is very quite. In fact it's that good I shot one rabbit reloaded and shot it's friend sat next to it with out spooking him ;) and I still get just under 12ft/lb through it.

Rich
hi yes I have a metal lathe I have made a reflex silencer to it goes over the barrel 3 inches and is back vented this to is super quiet next one will be made from carbon tube should look good :)

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
hi yes I have a metal lathe I have made a reflex silencer to it goes over the barrel 3 inches and is back vented this to is super quiet next one will be made from carbon tube should look good :)

Sounds interesting (excuse the pun). I got into Crosman 2250s and make most of my own tuning parts years ago. My current 2250 is super quite as I use it around the stables for Vermin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE