latest leatherwork to kick off 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I've not been as active on here since christmas, as the pace in the workshop just goes mad, and doesnt calm down until the end of jan. I thought i'd show off a few of the bits that have kicked off 2017 for me :)

Various book and notepad cover orders have been a lot of fun, must get round to do one of these for myself

HalfGoat Leatherwork A5 Notepad Covers by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

A few bottle or flask cases I made whilst teaching a course on them.

Some cuffs I knocked up for fun when I had a free afternoon

r

A very unusual sporran order

And as always i'm constantly producing the sporran pouches either by commission or whenever I can fit in a bit of time to work on stock

33039655691_c2e19b9428.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Stunning Hamish, always is but that doesn't mean it doesn't need said, can't wait to work under you wing for a few days when i join you on a course.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
:) :notworthy

Nice bit of white work ~ really quite hard to get white right! :yikes:

Liking the wing wolf :D

Really tidy braiding too :approve: :headbang:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
that's because it's silver acrylic ;) still a pain to do, I only touch acrylics as a last resort

Ah, still delicate and difficult to get good coverage and effective ;)

Looks like you've done the bottle carrier straps in single piece braiding ~ fun getting the thickness to strap length ratio correct, isn't it!? :lmao:

(... one, two, tuck it through, three, four, tuck once more ... :rofl: )

Dreadhead

Ah, still delicate and difficult to get good coverage and effective ;)

Looks like you've done the bottle carrier straps in single piece braiding ~ fun getting the thickness to strap length ratio correct, isn't it!? :lmao:

(... one, two, tuck it through, three, four, tuck once more ... :rofl: )

aye I do a lot of straps, bracelets, belt loops and such with the single braid. It's so simple but a great wee detail to add. Fun to do as well :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
aye I do a lot of straps, bracelets, belt loops and such with the single braid. It's so simple but a great wee detail to add. Fun to do as well :)

:rofl: Simple, maybe ~ get it wrong and it's a detraction :yikes: (for those who are unaware of the technique, if it's done even a bit too tightly it builds in a curve along the length and across the width ~ useful if you want or need it to curve, a bane if you want or need it flat :yikes: ).

The edge braiding's neat too ~ Spanish? Can't see, which hole version? Have you considered working from each side in toward the mid point? ( Or mid point out?)

Dreadhead

:rofl: Simple, maybe ~ get it wrong and it's a detraction :yikes: (for those who are unaware of the technique, if it's done even a bit too tightly it builds in a curve along the length and across the width ~ useful if you want or need it to curve, a bane if you want or need it flat :yikes: ).

The edge braiding's neat too ~ Spanish? Can't see, which hole version? Have you considered working from each side in toward the mid point? ( Or mid point out?)

It's easy to even out if you soak the braid and stretch/run it out over a table edge, tends to pull any bends out but I know what you mean when it can take a nasty hitch.

I use the double loop i think it's called, also known as mexican or spanish braid i think. I've worked from both sides before, but then you get a nasty transition point in the centre which is a pain to splice in. I prefer the natural flow around an edge. Much quicker too, when you consider adding the braid onto a sporran adds almost 2 hours work which bumps price up quite a bit

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Beautiful work as ever. I'm always impressed with your carved designs. I can produce nice clean looking leather good but just don't have the eye/hand for the Celtic stuff.

Cheers Rich

P.S. I've sent a commission your way for a Celtic note book cover.

Dreadhead

Beautiful work as ever. I'm always impressed with your carved designs. I can produce nice clean looking leather good but just don't have the eye/hand for the Celtic stuff.

Cheers Rich

P.S. I've sent a commission your way for a Celtic note book cover.

thanks Rich :) that's what creates such a good diversity of crafts on this forum though everyone has their own style. I can usually tell exactly who made what just by looking at the item

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE