Camping in Arctic Sweden 2017 pic heavey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Great stuff Chris. Hope you are feeling better now.
Hi mate. Sorry i missed you. I did feel like death to say the least. It was good to meet you all and the lights where awesome when we where out in the woods. I hope you got some good images on the camera. It was a good trip and will be going again for sure. Take care and send my reguards to your wonderful wife.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I don't know if I am able to answer that really, but it feels like an abnormal winter as we have seen above-zero temps in february....but that's how it feels, not real evidence :)

Greger

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
To many beeps i think. Will look through and see what i can use when i have some time.

Noooo, really chris, you dont have to. :bluThinki [Trying desperately to remember what that could involve.]

I was speaking to someone In Ontario the other day and he said that last Sat they shattered records there with a high of +14 celcius
and this Thursday is projected to get to +16 (0 is the norm)

Really quite alarming especially considering the meteorologists spoke so much about a La Nina trend which was to bring
below seasonal temps and above seasonal snow accumulations.

interestingly there are some (in the minority iam sure) climatologists who claim were heading into another ice age. And from the science Ive seen, if we are going the other way, we are supposed to have at least 50 years of extreme cold first, before global warming really kicks in.

Quite a good job really, being the weatherman, where you can be wrong most of the time, and never get sacked.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Sorry think i did the link thing wrong. Just look for Christopher Glover on youtube. Adult language in some videos and sorry for the sniffing...😕😕

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Sorry think i did the link thing wrong. Just look for Christopher Glover on youtube. Adult language in some videos and sorry for the sniffing...����

The link works fine, great video's mate, thanks for taking and sharing them :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Did you put the tent up in a camping site?

A friendly point: showel a bit snow on the edges of the tent to keep them down.
Less wind inside the tent, and in case of strong winds, less risk it will fly away!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Did you put the tent up in a camping site?

Yeh, the original plan went to pot, when we arrived at our intended location, it rained so hard, that the next day, the lake would have been unwalkable. So after a lot of thought, I called the mountain centre that afternoon, and asked them to pick us up the next day. [Not a popular decision I can tell you, but safety comes first, and the lake was water the next day] and after that it was down to the jokkmokk campsite. At which point, it was no longer an expedition per say.
Mind you the staff at the campsite were really good people, Roland ran it, and his daughter worked there. Its owned by the local council. They were very helpful. We were using the saunas, the self service kitchens, showers, restaraunt [£8 for a pint of lager!!!!] I think we had all spent our kroner, but Ash and I had credit cards.
[Mine came back top heavy by about £400]
Chris and Al, camped out at the campsite, with the use of the kitchens, Ash and I, got a cabin for the first couple of nights, at £22 each, so cheap enough, then Chris suggested a trip into the woods, for a couple of nights, in a spot Wayland had pointed out, then back to the campsite where Ash and I bivvied out under the fishing shelter, and Chris and Al were back in their tents. It was a steady -12˚C throughout. So the weather was quite nice. Although, the first couple of nights when it rained, the forecast was supposed to be -23˚C.
If it had not rained so badly and the lake was safe, then we would probably have stayed and walked down it, to find a better spot to camp. There was pine, and firewood, on the other side of the lake, further down, if it had been crossable, and Chris saw a patch of likely birch further down. [Chris and I walked down to the lakeside the second morning to make a decision on what to do. I pulled Chris to one side, and told him we had to make a decision, and the only one really would be to leave]
But no plan has ever gone according to plan any time Ive been out. Because of the weather or injury, so you have to expect that. As Im sure you will know Janne.
That put a bit of a damper on things unfortunately....As we couldnt all stay together or bonded as a group in the way I would have wanted. Because some of us were on a tight budget.
Both myself and Greger were told that the transportation to the mountain centre was a minibus, costing in the region of £50 per person [based on four of us sharing] but instead two taxis turned up and charged us double that amount. The lady at the mountain centre confirmed the minibus is what normally happens but it was out of season.
So we got flipped really. And had to pay double that. And that upset certain people, to the point of a grudge unfortunately.
The saunas were great for drying kit out, we just had to be careful not to get caught...:)

If youre in a campsite you use the facilities obviously, and be as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
So we got flipped really. And had to pay double that. And that upset certain people, to the point of a grudge unfortunately.

You seem fixated on the cost of taxi's as being a catalyst for something, it irked us all, that's all, nothing more nothing less.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not mind any temperature below zero nature can throw at me, I do not mind any amount of snow or wind, but I hate rain. Rain is awful.

If you guys go next year, I hope you get a proper, tree cracking winter! Blue skies and plenty of Aurora Borealis!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There is no doubt that things get much easier below minus 10 or so.

Dealing with wet cold and unreliable ice conditions in the freeze/thaw band between plus and minus 5, adds so many issues to camp admin and travelling routines that it is almost a separate discipline that requires completely different equipment and attitudes to working at lower temperatures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE