The String Vest revisited… Fishnet Mesh Underwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
For anyone who is interested in mesh/fishnet/string vest undergarments here are some suppliers:

www.brynje.no/

www.aclima.no/

www.svala.com/ (used to be Finnsvala)

www.wiggys.com

www.naturewild.fi Finland company markets a string vest with good size open mesh spacing.

Original type all cotton string vests that are made of cotton are the Crystal brand. They are supposed to be made in the UK and can be purchased on Ebay and Amazon.

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Got a Brynjie, outstanding kit, even when its cold that under a windproof if moving quick with a sack is fine, add a layer or two when you stop. As a plus, it makes my wife laugh like a drain when she sees me in it !

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Fit:

The Brynje mesh are a tight fit. Brynje seems to cut garments for very athletic/slim build so if you are thinking of trying Brynje garments you might want to size up. The mesh is supposed to fit against your skin but I find that if the fit is too close it does not feel comfortable and there's the increased wear and tear on the garment seams pulling it on/off…your pocketbook!

Aclima fits a bit looser, at least the CoolNet Aclima compared to Brynje. An XL Aclima CoolNet mesh will be a bit looser than a XL Brynje mesh top.

Finnsvala or Svala fits like the Aclima sizing. An XL Svala mesh top should be a bit more loose than a XL Brynje top.

Wiggys is cut a bit different. The mesh is more of a coarser nylon yarn plus there are wide nylon cuffs(can feel awkward) on the sleeves and at the neck hole. The neck hole can be tight…to solve this problem handwash the garment in warm water and gently stretch the neck hole wider in different directions to aid in putting the top over your head. Let dry. The Wiggys mesh does not have a lot of stretch in it. If you get the Wiggys too tight you will start to develop pulled seams on the side and under the garment arms. You can also gently stretch the wet Wiggys top out to make it a bit more roomy. Lay flat to dry covered in a microfiber towel to speed drying.

The Wiggys mesh has wider holes to aid in better air ventilation. Brynje, Aclima and Svala all roughly have the same size smaller mesh hole design…smaller than the Wiggys mesh. The fabric for Brynje, Aclima and Svala feels the same…polypropylene type fabric.

Washing:
Its best to use a garment mesh wash bag to put the garments in and wash them on a cold or delicate wash cycle in a washing machine or hand wash in the sink. If the mesh garments are tossed in the laundry the mesh will snag on anything available and develop a large hole(s)…too large for their purpose...
Lay them flat to dry covered in a microfiber towel.

Reactions: Billy-o

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Cotton mesh:

Brynje make a winter(thicker mesh) and a summer cotton mesh top. The summer cotton mesh tends to be of much smaller holes and is made in Poland with the Brynje label. The winter version has much better holes for ventilation.

The cotton mesh top by Naturewild has a solid patch of fabric on the shoulder area and generous mesh hole sizing. If you get this wash in cold water and stretch gently back to size(has a bit of tendency to shrink) Lay flat to dry to avoid damaging the shirt or wrap the shirt around two hangers to dry out in a loop shape.

On Ebay there is a brand of string tank top called Crystal fairly cheap…cheaper than a similar Brynje cotton mesh tank top. The mesh on this is an ok size. It is cut like a Brynje mesh top and has a long… length. After washing the Crystal brand top one needs to stretch it gently widthwise…not too much lengthwise as its already long. Has a Union Jack on it but not clear where its made. I have tried out the Crystal mesh top under a thin full button polycotton shirt while working indoors in an unheated work area and it does add warmth to your body…I always leave the front neck area uncovered to allow for ventilation.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I know someone who has one of these, he looks like he's going out for a night of hardcore raving to a gay german techno club. [Hes not the gainliest of men at the best of times.]
In fact just imagining him in it, makes me chuckle. I think, two strips of black insualtion tape over the nipples and pair of cycling shorts would complete the ensemble.

Brynje-Classic-Original-Mesh-T-shirt2.jpg

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1026-Brynje-Wool-Thermo-T-Shirt-wInlayBlack/

[I guess in the end though its just an update of the string vest your dad or grandad always wore...:)]

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I know someone who has one of these, he looks like he's going out for a night of hardcore raving to a gay german techno club. [Hes not the gainliest of men at the best of times.]
In fact just imagining him in it, makes me chuckle. I think, two strips of black insualtion tape over the nipples and pair of cycling shorts would complete the ensemble.

Ray would be very hurt if he found out you were talking about him like that! :lmao:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Funny this guy has a similiar body shape, in his fifties, pot belly and beard etc......[hope he doesnt read this!]

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Last edited:
Reactions: Boucaneer

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
It seems the older type vests were made out of thicker diameter string and wider holes to aid in ventilation where as modern versions the diameter of the yarn and the spacing of the mesh has decreased.

Reactions: Boucaneer

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Cotton mesh:

Brynje make a winter(thicker mesh) and a summer cotton mesh top. The summer cotton mesh tends to be of much smaller holes and is made in Poland with the Brynje label. The winter version has much better holes for ventilation.

The cotton mesh top by Naturewild has a solid patch of fabric on the shoulder area and generous mesh hole sizing. If you get this wash in cold water and stretch gently back to size(has a bit of tendency to shrink) Lay flat to dry to avoid damaging the shirt or wrap the shirt around two hangers to dry out in a loop shape.

On Ebay there is a brand of string tank top called Crystal fairly cheap…cheaper than a similar Brynje cotton mesh tank top. The mesh on this is an ok size. It is cut like a Brynje mesh top and has a long… length. After washing the Crystal brand top one needs to stretch it gently widthwise…not too much lengthwise as its already long. Has a Union Jack on it but not clear where its made. I have tried out the Crystal mesh top under a thin full button polycotton shirt while working indoors in an unheated work area and it does add warmth to your body…I always leave the front neck area uncovered to allow for ventilation.

I’ve just bought a Crystal String Teashirt on Ebay. It says that a Size 38 chest is XL size.

I’m imaging that the sizing on Crystal String Shirts to be cut small as I’m a Medium size usually.

I will find out when the String Shirt arrives.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A snug fit ensures you get nice, insulating 'air pockets'. A loose fit does not.

My generation got a 'brynja' put on basically in the cot. Took it off when we outgrew it, and got slotted in a new one!

Google 'Micke Svullo Dubois' , he wore a brynja with grace.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You are welcome!
The only negative I ever experienced with a bynja was that the outside skirt rubbed on the nipples. You see, the shirt fabric glides easily over the cotton brynja, and chafes on the nipples.
Sounds stupid, but I used to use a plaster on them, specially on longer trips, and always when I skied.
I am a guy and had this problem, most guys I know had the same.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
With regards to the Crystal String Teashirt bought from ebay for £5.99 item number 123891593227. I spoke with Evoque the seller and she said as Size 38 would be sized medium if worn correctly underneath a shirt.

I think the description on the ebay advertisement is confusing comparing the 38 chest to an XL size, but maybe it’s because mostly these String Tshirts are sold as fashion items nowadays.

The medium String Tshirt arrived today and fits perfectly snug and well.

I’ve just bought a Crystal String Teashirt on Ebay. It says that a Size 38 chest is XL size.

I’m imaging that the sizing on Crystal String Shirts to be cut small as I’m a Medium size usually.

I will find out when the String Shirt arrives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE