Sphagnum and bryophyte photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
After my Hebridean photos post I thought to put one up of typical moorland plantlife. Many will be bryophytes, basically moss, and I'm not at all sure that they were all taken in the Hebrides as with such photos it is hard to tell apart from going back and finding the original pic to see when it was taken. However, what is interesting is that a lot of this stuff is pretty small and if you walk on peatlands then you are almost certainly standing on some of it with every step.

Sphagum, in particular, plays an important role in the formation of a "bog" which is an ombrotrophic peatland where the plants growing on the surface of the peat have no access to mineral enriched ground water which has been in contact with rocks and minerals. On very old bogs (Until the cooling of the climate about 2600 years ago it was too warm, by 3 - 5 degrees, for peat to grow. It was also drier. So most of our bogs are actually only 2600ish years old) the sphagnum you see on the surface today may, genetically, be the same plant as first established itself when the bog formed so it may be 2600 years old. Despite not being a "vascular" plant sphagnum has a mechanism by which it can move minerals and nutrients to the top of the plant, leaving the bottom part to die off and form peat. As a result sphagnum actually removes nutrients from the bog and sort of stores them up.

Anyhow, photos:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :) really they are. Miniature wonders that carpet the earth.

Great photos, and thank you for sharing :D

Amazing things bogs, surprisingly rich in life too.
I've done some work on our local ones, howking out silver birch seedlings, and recording the sheer variety of plants and insect life. Very satisfying. There's nothing really for the birch trees to get their roots attached to, so three and four foot trees just pull out, and one ends up ploutering through the bog laden like one of those Indian oxcarts overflowing with 'stuff' :rolleyes:

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you. So lush, it looks almost edible.
Moor land. Bogs. Peat. Thanks for some mindful details.
We know all the words but the normal pictures here are panoramas spanning miles to the horizon.

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
Interesting info and wonderful pics! These kinds of posts are better than reading any newspaper... Thanks 👍

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE