Could I have become allergic to forests.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Has anyone experienced the same problem I seem to be having ?

Each January we spend with our Grandkids in Greece and then bring them over here for February. Each year we have a couple of midweek breaks at a Center Parcs. For the last two years almost a soon as I get to the Parc I start to get a really tight chest and walking becomes quite a trial and my breathing becomes quite laboured. This year has been no exception. We're currently at Elvedon and I suffered the same thing yesterday and today. I'm beginning to think I have developed some sort of allergy to pine forests, or something in them. The reason I mentioned the Greek thing is that we always go to the top of the mountain to play in the snow and this is also a Pine forest.

Today I took one of my sons Loratadine tablets and it did seem to help.

Have I suddenly become allergic to something in the forest or am I barking up the wrong tree. Could it be the damp as this only happens to me at this time of year?

Has anyone else experienced the same thing ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
If that really is the case then I offer you my deepest sympathy and swift recovery wishes.

What a terrible thing to suffer from if you love the outdoors .

I wish I could be of more help, I'm sorry to hear this.

My advice, get professional help .

Best wishes 👍

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If your still there, take a antihistamine as soon as you get up. If you can replicate the same activities tomorrow with no symptoms, you may have a allergy to a tree pollen. It could also be another plant species either in the field layer or ground layer. Also mould spores can play havoc. Do they have a problem with squirrels local to the chalets? Often visitors love to feed them or stray cats, encouraging them to hang around. Windows open and they get in and on the furnishings. You could be exposed to fur and react. If you have the time to go one day with out antihistamine in the same place in the same week you can usually rule out local environments. I was (was allergic to grass pollen when young. I could only go night fishing as a kid. When I was a young adult and owning a tractor and land. I had to endure all I came accross. Fortunately. I became tolerant and gave not taken a antihistamine in over 20 years now. If you do find your symptoms to be so localised,, get a appointment with the hospital. They can test you in controlled conditions and probably identify a genus.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
january is the time of year to be affected by tree pollen, if at a later time in the year going into the forest is ok, it is probably an allergic reaction to tree pollen, if you go to a good chemist/doctor or a good knowledgeable herbal shop, they should be able to help you with the right treatment

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hope its just a passing thing but if not, antihistamines, various flavors and see what works for you.
Some years certain ones work better than others. This may be due to the environment and maybe building a resistance.

Either way what you gonna do stay indoors? ;)

From a fellow pollen intolerant.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went for a walk early this morning an experienced the same symptoms so I popped one of my sons Loratadine, the Antihistamine, half hour later the symptoms were gone. This is the only time of year it ever happens certainly, I have no problem any other time of year.

My gut feeling is it's something in the damp leaf litter. Anyway the tablet works so all is well.

I'll keep an eye on things from now on.

Thanks again all.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You could also benefit from a Ventolin inhaler for when you get an attack. It sounds a bit like the allergy is causing an asthmatic attack which could be relieved quickly by Ventolin.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Agree with the Ventolin, or at least get yourself checked out by your GOP or the practice's asthma nurse. These symptons:

I start to get a really tight chest and walking becomes quite a trial and my breathing becomes quite laboured.

sound asthmatic - I know, I suffer from it, as does my son. All sort of things can set people off, put tree pollen sounds like it could be one of them. If antihistimine works for you, great, but thats not going to help much if your breathing gets really bad, at least in the short term.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Self medicating is about the worst you can do, and will make it much more difficult for the doctors to diagnose you accurately .

My advice is - take nothing and see your GP for a consultation.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Your symptoms fit those of an anxiety attack, go and talk to your GP, ASAP

This is interesting as I was going to say the very same thing and with a few questions thrown in such as how old, does the member suffer from a malady that impacts the central nervous system and necessitating teatment of the intravenous variety in the last 3 years. It would also be important to establish if exposed to a particularly stressful event.

I refrained until now for fear of being seen as unhelpfuly alarmist and a keyboard GP.

As stated go see an open minded GP.

K

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Allergy to Center Parks? Anxiety to have to deal with grandkids?
Onset of Pulmonary Fibrosis?
Early signs of other nasty pulmonary problems?

It can be what, one of maybe 250 problems?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Allergy to Center Parks? Anxiety to have to deal with grandkids?
Onset of Pulmonary Fibrosis?
Early signs of other nasty pulmonary problems?

It can be what, one of maybe 250 problems?

Or just Pinophobia maybe? :rolleyes:

I think the OP has been very specific about the environment where the condition occurs, and says that antihistamines are effective. Suggesting anxiety attacks that only occur in Pine specific locations and nowhere else not only muddy the waters, but is irresponsible and over dramatic.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I suffer a bad allergy to pollen but thankfully its not until spring when it seems to pipe up, when it does i take prescription anti-histamines and it goes away. Until they take effect i suffer from watering eyes, sneezing and a tight chest if exercising.

I would try taking an anti-histamine a few hours before a walk, apparently they take a few days to take full effect but your symptoms don't seem that bad. Best to see a GP however.

Tonyuk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Or just Pinophobia maybe? :rolleyes:

I think the OP has been very specific about the environment where the condition occurs, and says that antihistamines are effective. Suggesting anxiety attacks that only occur in Pine specific locations and nowhere else not only muddy the waters, but is irresponsible and over dramatic.

Not at all, anxiety attacks are very often triggered by specific events or locations, I know this because I suffered panic attacks for a while. Thankfully my wife, a Senior Mental Health nurse got me through.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
It's very possible to develop an allergy - and with worse symptoms.

I agree with those who suggest your GP, an asthma reliever should help make an attack less severe and might buy you time for the anti-histamine to work.

It's not something to mess about with though - at New Year I'd to go to the hospital to get antibiotics for a chest infection as the local doc's was closed, got them and took one there while waiting for my Mum who'd taken advantage of a lift to visit her friend in the hospital. Luckiest tag-along ever as I took an allergic reaction to the amoxycillin (which I'd taken before without problem last November). I went back to the doc who'd given me the tablets as I didn't feel right, within 30 minutes I was in the resuscitation room of the A&E with multiple tubes in me, monitor pads on me, the machine that goes ping & a nurse jabbing an epipen into my thigh as 'there's no time to go get adrenalin, just use the emergency epipen'. That's the last I remember till I woke up in recovery...

Any normal week I'd have taken the tablet at home (30 miles from hospital) and probably gone to bed ill, passed out & not woken up.

Gladly you don't sound any way as serious as that- BUT changing allergies are to be taken seriously, especially if they affect breathing or heart.

I'm now carrying 2 epipens - booked in to try and find anything else that might set me off & wearing an alert bracelet.

beaver1970

I find it frightening when I read this thread. Many different suggestions have been given some may be right some will be wrong. Some said go to your G.P. This is the only advice anyone should be giving on a forum. If the original poster acted on the information given it could cause worse symptoms or even death. Only one piece of advice should be given. Go to your G.P.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I find it frightening when I read this thread. Many different suggestions have been given some may be right some will be wrong. Some said go to your G.P. This is the only advice anyone should be giving on a forum. If the original poster acted on the information given it could cause worse symptoms or even death. Only one piece of advice should be given. Go to your G.P.

Epipens can be dangerous, I was prescribed one after a hive type reaction. Only at the last minute did the doctor note that my blood pressure was normal and I needed antihistamine and a steroid injection. The epi pen is to boost very low blood pressure during anaphylaxis. I agree with you regarding even mentioning a dose of Epinephrine when there is no anaphylactic reaction.

Taking an antihistamine tablet is hardly frightening, many people take one daily during the pollen season, and appears to help the OP. Sort of 'job done' really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE