Duke of Edinburgh Awards - rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mylofitz

Apr 19, 2012
Cheshire
Buy cheap buy twice has proved correct when my wife bought my daughter a rucksack from Aldi for her to complete her bronze award. It fell apart. Now at 15 she is doing her silver this year and her sibling starts her bronze I really need to get them a decent rucksack.

Needs to be 70 litres. Some manufacturers offer women specific models but rather get a non gender specific model. Really would appreciate some knowledgeable suggestions as don't know where to start.

Many thanks

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hi , do you have an idea of the absolute maximum you would spend on the pack?

As you can imagine , there are so many options... So a budget would give folk a better idea as to what recommend.

Karrimor Sabre 60-100 (expandable) is my personal choice , because I pack like a mule 😀 and like the sturdier packs... But there are so many good ones out there...

The Osprey packs are very well regarded by the climbers/ramblers ... A bit on the pricey side but very comfortable and fairly lightweight and slim.

👍👍

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I can't recall if it was on here or on their websites but either Ultralightoutdoors or Bob from Backpackinglight gave a very sensible critique of the ridiculous weights young people were forced to carry on DoE expeditions and as someone who used to take young people on DoE courses, I can't help but agree given their young joints, the relative proportions of body weight / pack weight etc. If you can at least find her a lightweight pack (osprey and the like) and as much acceptable lightweight kit such as sleeping bag and so on it might cost you a few bob, but you will be doing her a huge favour in terms of her joints, ability to perform and hopefully decide to enjoy the experience enough to want to carry it on into adult life.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
My Daughter has just signed up for Silver and used this for Bronze:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-contour-60-plus-10-rucksack-p149964#tabs

Frankly I can't see the need to spend more even if she goes for Gold: Maximum 3 (three) trips in the "great outdoors" may be all it ever sees on her back!

Try e-bay once you have an idea of what you want. As in all those sons and daughters who gave up after Bronze!

K

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought my son a Tesco rucksack and it's been ideal for him.
It has an adjustable back so has been fine since he was 12, it get's used for hikes, up to Silver as well as the scouts hiking/expeditions so it's been ideal for him. Cost wise it was reduced to £15, from £40 so excellent value for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Buy cheap buy twice has proved correct when my wife bought my daughter a rucksack from Aldi for her to complete her bronze award. It fell apart. Now at 15 she is doing her silver this year and her sibling starts her bronze I really need to get them a decent rucksack.

Needs to be 70 litres. Some manufacturers offer women specific models but rather get a non gender specific model. Really would appreciate some knowledgeable suggestions as don't know where to start.

Many thanks

I run Walking, Canoeing and Biking expeditions at work and we have a range of kit. Bronze through to Gold. Vango 65+ are the best.

However, they may not need that size if they are clever about packing on the outside and bottom. Some Bronze young people have bought their own for now and after dofe. They swear by these. I use Karrimor kit and although some people moan on here, their rucsacks are great quality.

This is a great buy http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-leopard-65-rucksack-793021?colcode=79302190

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I absolutely agree with @beachlover in that the 70l, huge, heavy packs are ridiculous for a young person and could really discourage them from future outdoor adventures. When I did mine 20 years ago, with ex military kit, I skipped loads of the kit on the list (mainly because I couldn't afford it) and it was fortuitous as I had the smallest pack by miles and found it a breeze while others floundered and didn't bother camping again.

My misses uses here Gregory pack that's about 45l and loves it, much more comfortable than a men's pack for her

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I can't recall if it was on here or on their websites but either Ultralightoutdoors or Bob from Backpackinglight gave a very sensible critique of the ridiculous weights young people were forced to carry on DoE expeditions and as someone who used to take young people on DoE courses, I can't help but agree given their young joints, the relative proportions of body weight / pack weight etc. If you can at least find her a lightweight pack (osprey and the like) and as much acceptable lightweight kit such as sleeping bag and so on it might cost you a few bob, but you will be doing her a huge favour in terms of her joints, ability to perform and hopefully decide to enjoy the experience enough to want to carry it on into adult life.
This, in spades.

Most of the DoE kit is absurd.
If you can, get lightweight kit for her. At least a light rucksack. Try to save weight and bulk on the clothing. Got through the kit list and cut down on the amount of clothing, if you have money spare and a sensible child, get some merino base layers and persuade your daughter not to take many changes of clothes. Damp and warm in merino that isn't changed will be better than aching from carrying a bulk of clothing. Synthetic stinks.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Go for something cheap and cheerful, around 50L and with a good hip belt. Go oudoors have a good selection to allow them to try the packs for size. If you find one they like look online for a price, if its cheaper show them this at the check out and you get that price with an extra bit off (if you have a discount card)

Make sure they have a good think when filling in their menu sheets, good hot food and snacks go a long way to make up for sore feet and wet weather.

I would also speak to the people managing their award, often they'll have kit to loan out if you ask, including stoves (normally trangia)

DofE groups are not allowed to use the piercing type of gas cylinders if i remember correctly, something maybe to keep in mind if your buying them a stove and cookset.

Tonyuk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Have you seen the Berghaus Trailhead rucksack? There's a unisex version which is 65ltr and a Womens specific version which is 60ltr. I have the unisex and my wife uses the womans specific version and they are both really good. Well made and with lots of adjustability to make it fit your back.

It's on sale at most high st stores for anywhere between £80-£100 but amazon are currently selling them for £60-65. My advice would be to take advantage of the Go Outdoors price match where they not only match the price but will also drop it by 10%. They will match amazon's price and I've taken advantage of this many many times on all sorts of different products saving a fortune in the process

I'm not connected to Go Outdoors by the way!

Doh....I've just re-read the threat and noticed that you've already got a rucksack. The Vango sherpa is also a very good bag by the way. My brother uses one (he frequently overloads it with beer!) and it's serving him well.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The size of a pack for a DoE trip is a hardy perennial - part of the reason the rucksacks are relatively large is because they have to fit a relatively bulky (but cheap) sleeping bag in them, and roughly 65L is the average size rucksack that everyone has at home that can be loaned/given to the DoEer. And the sleeping bag everyone has is just about small enough to fit in the sack!

My daughters 12, and I bought her a Vango Nightstar for £35 - its perfectly fine for her (of the six other girls in her tent on a recent school trip, all of them either had exactly the same bag or the 2-3 season version), but has all the compressability of a breezeblock. There is a reason why my sleeping bag is from ME, and cost me a lot more.

If she's a 15 year old girl, she'll probably need a ND (narrow backed) rucksack https://lowealpine.com/uk/expert-advice/womens-fit-nd/. They are shaped slightly differently, so that the straps wont fall off her shoulders (my wife once borrowed a Karrimor Jaguar, and thats exactly what kept happening). with a shorter torso. If you get a non ND one, it often wont fit, and will be really uncomfortable. Obviously if she goes into a decent shop (Cotswolds have always been good to me), you'll get the chance to try them out with weights in, so that the fit and the back system are right. So she might end up with a standard pack, but I'd start with ND ones first. This a really good guide to sizing, etc http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Womens-Reviews/Buying-Advice

Roughly 55-60L would be perfect (think about no more than 20% of bodyweight to lift), and Berghaus/Lowe Alpine would do very well - good back systems, not too pricey, but not as heavy as Vango, and do ND models.

The Berghaus Trailhead is a classic DoE/gap year sack - http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/...&istBid=tzil&gclid=CJaWq8X4_dECFe-37QodsJ4Asg - £85 is a good price (its as low as £70 if you look online) , and Millets have a 10% off thing at the moment. Thats 1.6kg Cotswolds are doing it for a £100, but there is the DoE discount, etc. Millets also have the same brands Ridgeway for £100, which is 1.7kg

Lowe Alpine always do good kit, even at the cheaper end, but £120 will get you a very nice 1.6kg bag - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowe-alpine-womens-cholatse-nd60-70-rucksack-e1112669?id_colour=124 - bit big, but still pretty light. If you can get away with 50L, then this is good - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-cholatse-nd50-rucksack-p371804 , but there really isn't the backsystem you'd find in the heavier models.

But if your spending £120, then Osprey starts to get into the market, with the Kyte 66 http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/osprey-womens-kyte-66-rucksack-e1112633?id_colour=108, at 1.77kg

If your counting up the cost of equiping her for a 2 day trip which she might hate and never venture outdoors again, then you could go for the Vango Sherpa http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sherpa-65-womens-p178257 . At 65L its a bit big but you dont have to fill it, but it is 2.6kg!

If it was my daughter (and it will probably will be in a couple of years!) the Berghaus Trailhead or similar would really suit - at 1.6kg its relatively light, about the right size, has a decent back system and is a decent brand. Its actually the sort of thing I'd recommend for my wife as well if she ever has to go on some sort of work Outward Bound thing (which is her nightmare).

Its a long term purchase, so its something that will be useful in the years ahead. With discounts you might get it down to less than £80. Strangely, its really difficult to find them second hand - you'd think that people would buy them, the kids would use it once and then get shot of them, but it seems that they just get used for other things.

If you can get the rest of her kit list down in terms of weight/bulk, then a smaller/lighter bag becomes a real possibility, and thus an easier load to carry. Sleeping bag and mat are the biggies, so if dad has a nice down bag that will suit, you could lend it, or at least justify buying lighter kit on the grounds that its for your daughter's welfare!

Good luck.

mylofitz

Apr 19, 2012
Cheshire
Got back in touch with seller and changed order to a Berghaus Trailhead. A Kg lighter for a just a little more money. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
At 15, i wouldn't care about the durability too much. In a few years, the backpack will be useless cause of the size (torso length etc), or it'll be terrible now, because you buy it full size.

Also keep in mind that while you (her male dad) might prefer the "gender neutral" packs, she (an actual female body) will most likely much prefer a pack made which takes into account the differences between female and male anatomy (hips, shoulders, torso length, chest strap combination). Only you know ofcource how developed she is and it might be that at 15 for her, it's not really needed, but the hipbelt and chest strap can make a great difference according to a female friend of mine.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
At 15, i wouldn't care about the durability too much. In a few years, the backpack will be useless cause of the size (torso length etc), or it'll be terrible now, because you buy it full size.

The whole point of buying a good brand like Berghaus is that you get a decent back system, which is adjustable for back length, etc. The Biofit system http://www.berghaus.com/technology-biofit-back-system.html , like ones from LA, etc, has for many years allowed you to do just that. It will be easily adjustable as she grows.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE