Sawyer mini or travel tap ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Looking a little deeper in the Travel Tap and its bottle can be more handy then the saywer bladders. Only dirty water in the bottle and you can fill up the bottle a lot easier then fill up the squeeze bladders.
Can you squeeze the travel tap bottle?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sawyer for me.

It will screw onto standard drinks bottle threads if needed. As well as platypus and evernew bladders. Usefull for quick fills on the trail and larger water processing tasks in camp.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I have a Sawyer and its one downfall is filling the bag from still water. You can do it by inflating the bag, then putting the open end into the water first, fully submerging it and then inverting it, but it's a lot easier filling a PET bottle. On the plus side a 500ml PET bottle (Tango in my case) weighs not a lot and can be squashed and rolled up around the filter and bag without adding a huge amount to the weight.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've an adapter for an MSR Dromedary, so I can fill that with "dirty" water and gravity feed it into the Sawyer filter and Sawyer or other bottles. Just have to be careful that the Dromedary is dry and doesn't dribble dirty water into an open bottle if you aren't using a closed system.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The TT does have some merits with claims of being able to remove viral and chemical contaminants. However there's a couple of niggles for me about it one is the auto-shut-off feature, the other is cleaning the ceramic element. Sawyer filters use the same ceramic filter system and require occasional backwashing to clear them of fine sediment, the TT does not appear to have this option save for replacing the filter unit at £18 a pop.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I can vouch for these systems.
http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

Good enough for the Red Cross, the British military , it's good enough for me.
Made in Britain by a British company .

No affiliation , just a happy customer.
👍

Brilliant bit of kit.

I got this one
Aquaguard micro '3 in 1' PLUS

Very versatile.
Does the safe tap, does the bladder on the move and it's replacement cartridge does 1600 litres for less than £20 ...

Also got the travel tap bottles, both still good as new a year later.

Win win
👍

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Looking a little deeper in the Travel Tap and its bottle can be more handy then the saywer bladders. Only dirty water in the bottle and you can fill up the bottle a lot easier then fill up the squeeze bladders.
Can you squeeze the travel tap bottle?
Yes, you can squeeze the bottles and it's great to wash wounds , brush your teeth etc. , I chose the pull up top version instead of the flip ones ..as I have another normal sports bottle flip top that leaks so I thought I'd try the pull up system instead.

Very reliable and still going strong after a years use. No leaks !
👍

McGruff

I recently bought a Travel Tap flip-top. Tested it out at home with a few litres of clean water then in the field with a few litres of water from a couple of lochs after which the flow rate shrunk dramatically from quite good to annoyingly slow. The water had a definite colour so some sediment was present. I suspect the filter does not handle that very well.

After only a few days use the whole top began to pop right off the thread when the bottle was squeezed so back it went. Maybe I just had bad luck. I want to like it because (apparently) it filters chemicals as well as bugs. That could be a big plus over the Sawyer.

Haven't decided yet what to replace it with. Might even get another. I mostly do cycle-touring and The Travel Tap fits nicely in a standard bottle cage. Squeezing water for one wasn't hard (while it was working..) but, if you have a lot of water to process, something which can gravity feed might work better for you.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I recently bought a Travel Tap flip-top. Tested it out at home with a few litres of clean water then in the field with a few litres of water from a couple of lochs after which the flow rate shrunk dramatically from quite good to annoyingly slow. The water had a definite colour so some sediment was present. I suspect the filter does not handle that very well.

After only a few days use the whole top began to pop right off the thread when the bottle was squeezed so back it went. Maybe I just had bad luck. I want to like it because (apparently) it filters chemicals as well as bugs. That could be a big plus over the Sawyer.

Haven't decided yet what to replace it with. Might even get another. I mostly do cycle-touring and The Travel Tap fits nicely in a standard bottle cage. Squeezing water for one wasn't hard (while it was working..) but, if you have a lot of water to process, something which can gravity feed might work better for you.
I'd stick with travel tap from drinksafe systems for the same reasons you described, the chemical decontamination.
I've looked into most of the competition and drinksafe does it for me .
The quality Vs price Vs efficiency is hard to beat.

The pull top works fine here after a year of use , still no problems.
Maybe it's the fliptop that has an issue?
The guys there were very helpful , so do contact them , they will put it right!

The flow on mine is still as good now as it was new, and if it was to get clogged its less than £20 for the replacement filter.

Just my 2p

No affiliation, just a happy customer

McGruff

Yeah the kind of place I need it is "domesticated" countryside: farms, crops, cattle & sheep (sometimes in the water..), maybe a town upstream. I don't actually know how common chemicals or viruses might be in these kinds of areas but it seemed prudent not to take any chances. Out in the hills and wild places I wouldn't think twice about drinking from rivers & burns.

I'm tempted to give the drinksafe 3-in-1 a try next. This works as a straw, a gravity feed, or inline in a hydration system.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I would much rather have the sawyer out of the two I use mine with empty 2L coke bottles, just fill them up and screw the filter on then pour into a clean bottle. Draw a bit of the clean water with the syringe and back-flush now and then keep it working fine.

Bit of cheap bleach in a clear eyedropper bottle and a filter bag to get any grass or grit out and i'm sorted for water purification.

Tonyuk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Does the Travel Tap filter out the same stuff as the Water2Go bottles or is the chemicals aspect a difference again ?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use my sawyer with a millbank bag.
Its easy to fill the Millbank and it prefilters the water removing any heavier particles prior to me using the sawyer system as the main filter.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Yeah the kind of place I need it is "domesticated" countryside: farms, crops, cattle & sheep (sometimes in the water..), maybe a town upstream. I don't actually know how common chemicals or viruses might be in these kinds of areas but it seemed prudent not to take any chances. Out in the hills and wild places I wouldn't think twice about drinking from rivers & burns.

I'm tempted to give the drinksafe 3-in-1 a try next. This works as a straw, a gravity feed, or inline in a hydration system.

Given this information, i'd suggest against a purely ceramic filter. Reason that you really want to take out the chemicals. An option is the Renovo Trio, but it's a bit expensive. I recently just got the Katadyn Hiker Pro just for this reason, and it seems to work pretty well. The virusses aren't that big of a deal in most places, the bacteria are (and get filtered out by most filters i know), but the chemicals are my main concern and for that you basically need activated carbon to filter those out. In farmland areas anyway (which in Belgium where i live, is almost everywhere :p).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE