ash serving spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
My wife was out on an errand and came upon some tree surgeons cutting down ash trees. She stopped and asked for some of the wood, which they generously loaded into the minivan. I've used other ash wood, but it's never been yellow like this. I went back and looked at the trees and they were definitely ash. Oh well, I'm not complaining....

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Funnily enough I had some yellow wood last year and was trying to work out what it was. It turned out to be from a "smoke tree" and had no reason to be yellow!

Nice spoon by the way. I really like your work and don't know why I can't get a spoon that smooth without sanding!

Chris

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, crosslandkelly, Muddypaws, and Chris. Chris, that wood looks very much like what I made my spoon from. What is a "smoke tree"? Wish I could sit down with you on the finishing aspect. Sharp tools are key. For the bowl I use a gouge mostly, but lately I've been also using the curved knife (made by Ben Orford). I've also been experimenting with a final burnishing rub with a piece of antler. Seems to help.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Thanks, crosslandkelly, Muddypaws, and Chris. Chris, that wood looks very much like what I made my spoon from. What is a "smoke tree"? Wish I could sit down with you on the finishing aspect. Sharp tools are key. For the bowl I use a gouge mostly, but lately I've been also using the curved knife (made by Ben Orford). I've also been experimenting with a final burnishing rub with a piece of antler. Seems to help.

It's called the smoke bush or smoke tree as the flowers from a distance make it look like it's smoking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotinus

It comes in green or deep purple leaf.

The only reason I can think it was yellow is due to fungus as it is normally a white grain and this one had fallen and carried on growing lying on the floor and grew upwards again.

In my acorn thread the yellow one on the right is the same wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE