Sewing machine.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm wanting to have a go at making some pouches and bags for myself but need some advice on a cheapish sewing machine that will cope with waxed cotton and canvas.
Could anyone suggest anything.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Toyota Super Jeans - around £100 new.
Designed to cope with multiple layers of Denim - reasonable selection of stitches.
Or
Charity shop hand cranked Singer or Jones.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thank you for that. £100 is a little more than I want to pay just now. Does the hand crank give you more control.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It gives fine control over the stitch placement/speed, less control over where the fabric wanders (you have one hand to "steer" with as the other cranks...) until you get skilled at one handed steering.
The first garments I made were on a hand cranker and I still keep it by :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks. Sounds ideal as most of the items will be quite small and no long runs of stitches.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I bought mine (electric, not hand crank) from a charity shop for £20, must have done about 20 + bags/pouches with it so far.

Same as this E Bay one 262816375216

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I have an ancient hand cranked Singer, £35 my Wife bought it for me. I've made Made canvas pouches, Cordura pouches sewn ripstop nylon, polyester, and modified a PLCE bergan it's plenty tough enough!
It just takes a little practice!
For waxed cotton (or any thicker thread) you will have to adjust any sewing machine, which can be a long drawn out affair, and you'll need certainly need to use stronger thicker needles that some machines might not cope with.
I normally use Denim needles, they cope with most materials.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE