Lixada Wood Gasifier Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
If anyone is looking to buy one of the Lixada wood gasifier stoves, I have put a little review video up on my youtube channel.
I also heard about using cat litter as fuel in the stove, so I'm using this in my video too.

I have to say I'm impressed with the stove for the price.

Stove £13 Amazon - http://tinyurl.com/z9qhxe3
Cat litter £1.19 B&M

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seanc

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Actually,I don't think so.

I posted my very first one on here a while back, and they haven't really changed, lol.

I use the two different sized SMA milk tins. We had a load that we saved from when the kiddies were young. They work really well and are very efficient.

Been contemplating making a larger one along the lines of the new Solo stove fire pit thing. It's only £250, so I might struggle to make one cheaper than that.......

McGruff

I guess that's a copy of the Wild Woodgas Stove? Bought one of these recently - the newer model with wire pan supports.

My first few tries have been a bit mixed. Once you get it going, the wood gas thing does work very well and the stove gives off a good heat. I'd say that, at maximum, heat output is midway between my Whisperlite petrol stove and a trangia burner. That's a solid amount of heat for boiling water.

However, I haven't had a lot of luck in sustaining this level of heat output for more than 10-15mins or so. That's a problem if you want to cook a full meal. You might need at least 20-30 mins of strong heat.

When the wood gas flames do die out, there should still be enough of a heart in the fire to get it going again after adding more wood. I've found that it can take 10 mins or so - and prodigious amounts of smoke - before the new fuel sparks into life.

It's entirely possible that I just need more time to figure out how to get the best out of this stove but my first impression is that it's going to take a lot of patience to do anything more complicated than boil a cup or two of water. I could be wrong.

One huge plus is the stove's efficiency. You only need a couple of handfuls of twigs to fill it up and that makes foraging for fuel very easy. A pair of lightweight (anvil) secateurs might be worth considering. At the very least you'll probably want to carry a lightweight pruning saw and basic knife like a Mora Classic/Companion/etc so you can process some larger 2" or 3" logs. In wet weather, that might be the only way to obtain some dry wood.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
With the woodgas stoves its important to fill it up well with small fuel to keep it burning, really pack it in, otherwise it can burn through its fuel quite quickly. On a good fill with natural tinder i can get about 20-25 mins burn time.

Tonyuk

lancs lad

Feb 4, 2014
lancaster
I bought one of these lixada wood gasification stoves a while ago and have given it some good use. I thoroughly enjoy using it and for eleven quid off amazon it's worth every penny. I keep mine inside the msr seagull 775

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Got myself a cheapo. EBay £10.45. Love that thing. Good with twigs, thick stuff on the bottom, crammed in. Right up to the top and then a little fatwood covered with thin twigs. Once the top stuff has burnt down gas burns real nice too. If i use cat litter it burns down a little faster but so far i haven't used more the a couple of handful. I'm sure if I'd fill it right up it'd burn for nearly an hour even though the gas flame dies earlier. Trangia is now somewhere in the shed.
20171029_104823.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE