Well, what did I forget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Following on from wondering what I would forget I guess this is the follow up...
Firstly, I loved it! Cold but not freezing night (around 6 centigrade) but sitting listening to the fire crackle and watching the stars made it all frankly awesome, something I'm sure most of you know already.

I set off with about an hour of daylight for a 20 minute walk and it doesn't get dark instantly so plenty of time, I thought. Packing was a bit rushed but hey, isn't it always? There was that dead standing tree looming over the spot that I was going to drop before sleeping under it as well but, how long can that take?

Well, the tree took about an hour and a half, taking it really steady, it getting hung up twice and needing the base of the tree levering until it was flat on the ground with plenty of considering, planning, clearing exit routes added to the fun!
Anyhow, time to set up the tarp, set up pretty much as I do for our day camps (there will be a link to a vid at the end if you are desperate to know how it looks) but it covers where the hammock goes and high and long enough to cover the fire as well. Gives shelter for a dozen of us pretty well if we need and would give me loads of space to play in.
Fire got going well enough with some really dry wood from the top of the dead standing tree and it was time for what felt like a well earned sit down and a cup of tea. Sit mat was still at home... still, my fire gloves are big enough to they did.

Right hammock up, between the same trees that is has been up before (as a daytime experiment) at least this had been done before... Except, not with the whoopie slings and huggers, which extend the minimum distance the trees can be set apart... Oh... Still, two stout sticks and a few wraps of the huggers and the length was as snug as needed!

Next up, food, and the fire is already going! Time to get out the new (Christmas present) Petromax trivet and start warming the cast iron skillet for steak, onions and mushrooms... couldn't wait! Now, where is that chopping board that was also going to be my plate... bother, that was still in the kitchen! Never mind, the steak was in a pack so I flipped that and the back made a great board to chop the onion, yet another self inflicted problem solved :)

Food was awesome and sitting with a bottle of cider (well summer berries Old Mout) and watching the stars was just beautiful. Fire was doing the business so I didn't bother with the waterproof over-trousers I'd brought and just toasted my bare legs by the fire (shorts, not naturist). Ears were getting a bit chilly in the breeze, where is that woolly hat I brought to sleep in? Oh yes, on the settee, at home, oh, never mind :)

Slept like a baby (by which I mean soundly apart from the two toilet trips, no, I didn't go for a wide mouthed bottle!) but woke up with dawn. Snuggled in the bag for a minute and woke up two hours later, time for some breakfast! Bacon and mushroom muffins, with a hint of steak and onion from the pan, wrapped in muffins have never tasted so good. Long relaxed cups of tea and packing (way more efficiently for the trip back) I couldn't stop smiling to myself. A really, really satisfying trip up to the woods. No worries, plenty of stuff I clearly don't need (like the box of foods that lives in the pack to feed my kids if we want some extra, yes, I did carry up a bag of marshmallows I didn't touch, a bag of jelly babies, a jar of hot dogs and several sets of cutlery). Stuff I could have used but wasn't really a problem and a good feeling that lasted days (in fact, it's still there).

Already mentally packing in order to maintain my promise to myself for this year, first Saturday of the month, every month, I wan't to be out. It can be rescheduled, but not cancelled.

I also attempted to record the experience for posterity and realised just how hard it is to try and make a film of your experiences!

Well done to all of you who do and thanks for the inspiration.

https://youtu.be/2SOO8AECD-c

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Nice one just finished watching, the very first thing i noticed when i started trying to video my outdoor activities was how much more complex even the simplest task becomes, it is mad when you are doing something that you have done for ages that you do without even consciously thinking about and then click you press record and suddenly your brain decides it needs to think about how you normally do this task, like say talking, and if you are adding an actual task that you are also talking about the more complexity shoots through the roof, i equate it to mind games on yourself like when you were 12 trying to pull a wheelie on your friends bike the first time you rode it cos you just seen the girl you fancy, you've pulled a hundred wheelies on a hundred different bikes but this one now matters, crazy thoughts i know but trying to just forget the camera is there whilst still interacting with it and still being relaxed enough to just be yourself is the hardest part, ohhh and the editing don't get me started moaning about the editing av just got another 4 or 5 hrs left of raw data from my last big trip i'm working through :D i love watching my end vids but i don't like editing.

Best of luck if you keep it up, I enjoyed a chuckle at your huge over nighter kit bag before reminded myself of a sneaky memory here and there snuggled in the brain somewhere of me hauling a wide load more than once, that is the another side of it if you start taking more serious camera equipment it is a whole nother set of bags, for me it has added a 17inch sized laptop bag to my kit, if i want to take cameras and do a proper job this bag is coming, no way getting around it with the mounts and clamps and gimbals and tripods etc

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Love it, I agree though, you did seem a little over packed for a quick overnighter, but I've done that many a time. Still do but normally when I decide I want to take all the bells and whistles with me.

Question for you, have you had any authoritative issues camping in the managed woodland?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Love it, I agree though, you did seem a little over packed for a quick overnighter, but I've done that many a time. Still do but normally when I decide I want to take all the bells and whistles with me.

Question for you, have you had any authoritative issues camping in the managed woodland?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the "a little" over packed ;)
We haven't had any issues using the woodland but they do seem to be very, ermm, sensible about the woodlands use. For example, about a year ago their were some fairly impressive/terrifying mountain bike trails put in. They came to do some work, found the trails, dismantles the bigger features (but left everything safely reliable) and left notices everywhere explaining what they had done, why, and asking the builders to get in touch so they could discuss how to move forward together. I was mightily impressed!

I do however intend trying to make my day use of the camp more formal as a Forest School site (pending the end of my years qualification and as a strictly non profit for my and other local kids) which will be interesting I suspect. Worth the effort though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the video, it is a really good looking camp site, stone fire ring and all.
Later, I think I see a lot of standing dead trees. Some with bark peeling off.
You have bark beetle problems in there? We have 19,000,000 ha dead pine from Mountain Pine Beetle.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Thanks for the video, it is a really good looking camp site, stone fire ring and all.
Later, I think I see a lot of standing dead trees. Some with bark peeling off.
You have bark beetle problems in there? We have 19,000,000 ha dead pine from Mountain Pine Beetle.
Bark beetles are a new thing to me! Just been googling and from memory there are lots of resin "bleeds" that I thought we odd. Something to explore more next time although lots of the trees that have blown over are simply at the edge of a clear felled section. So just not ready for the exposure.
Thanks for the comments about the camp, lots of this have been and gone. You should have seen the girls fire reflector, looked like a huge log pile! It was cracking for their first go though, they were 3 and 5 :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We got that resin bleed, too. The tree attempts to "pitch out" the adult beetles, young pine trees <40 yrs old are better at it than old trees.
Then we got a decade+ of mild winters and the bug population exploded.

Next time you're out, peel some bark off a dead tree and look for the insect galleries (tracks) in the surface wood and on the underside of the bark panel that you have just peeled off.
Then, try to cut away a small patch around a "resin bleed". I'd be looking for a single hole no more than 1-2mm diameter.
Google 'Dendroctonus' to see the species-specific gallery patterns that they make. The adult beetles are brown-black and the size of a grain of rice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE