Alan Wood/Ray Mears Woodlore knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Whatever the grind it's very clearly an AW Woodlore so someone is going to feel happier negotiating the Backwoods if they have the spondoolies.

K

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Umm, OK, didn't quite read that way to me but fair enough!

If it were sharpened on whetstones correctly until the grind was completely polished, would it then become a flat grind, or a scandi grind. :rolleyes:

To me, like I said, its a slightly hollow scandi grind and not a true flat scandi grind.

MMarshall

Jan 10, 2017
Lancashire
If it were sharpened on whetstones correctly until the grind was completely polished, would it then become a flat grind, or a scandi grind.

To me, like I said, its a slightly hollow scandi grind and not a true flat scandi grind.

That was my reading of A.Wood's statement:
I decided that it would be best to supply the blades with a mild hollow grind similar to that produced when a knife is reground on a Tormek or similar machine. This would allow users much speedier sharpening sessions in the early stages when they weren’t so skilled or patient."

As far as 'Hollow Grind' goes, clearly this has particular connotations to particular people, but in this case I was merely referencing the maker's statements as well as what Mcnutt/Orford told me some 10 years ago....

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
To my past experience with a RM Woodlore from the same age, it's approximately two hours bench-stone removed from a full flat scandi ;) Good luck with the sale.

MMarshall

Jan 10, 2017
Lancashire
Thanks Ash - great to meet, great trouble-free trade, and all the best for your Arctic trip. Hope to see you again and enjoy the RM/AW ;)

Moderator note:
Thread closed after a member with necro-post tendencies dug it up to share their opinion on value and pricing. :deadhorse:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE