Will there be snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Robson,

You are correct that here in the UK our vehicles are not fitted with block heaters as standard (except perhaps some HGVs) - we rarely get temperatures low enough for long enough to warrant them. Once in a blue moon we have decent snowfall and low temps and arterial routes come to a standstill due to waxed diesel in HGVs but that's about it.
I've suffered that myself whilst stationed in Germany back in the '80s during one winter where the day time temp was in the minus high teens for almost two weeks. (Managed to sort it with a blow torch!)

We can fit aftermarket assistance by way of coolant heaters and sump heaters - plug-in element or glue-on pads. (Not cheap though).

I have always run diesels and a few years back when it looked like we might be having a return to quality winters here in the UK I fitted the sump heater pads to my motors.
They give out the heat equivalent to about a 100 watt light bulb and if set on a timer to come on about 90 minutes before starting they do make cranking the engine easier. They don't heat up the cooling system though so not as good for cabin warmth/defrosting.

Hardly had the need to use them since :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. If it was maybe -5C or -10C, I wouldn't bother but it's -28C again this AM.
I'm guessing that the block heater is 1kW or maybe 1.2kW.
Sunrise 8:30AM, will set about 2:30 PM or at least that puts my house in shade.
The mountain ranges of the valley sides cut maybe an extra hour off each end of the day.

Weather forecast says warm & snow over the weekend. I'll believe it when it happens.

Agreed, diesels are hard starting in the XX cold when compared with gas engines.
Everybody retired at my end of the street so there's no frantic clanking around to get
started to go to work! I have things to do, maybe stick my nose out 11 - 12.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hey guys what do we recon do you think we will see snow this year last winter was a mild one by all accounts well for me in the north east. I think we may see quite a bit in to December.

There might be snow, but I'm about to fit the studded tyres to my bike, which means we'll have just grey dull drizzle instead of what should be winter...

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your winters may be wet and dreary but not quite the mental freeze that goes with -30C.

The warming trend has finally started with a south breeze and a few snow flakes under an overcast sky. About -15C now.
Expect 10-15cm snow up to -5C by Tuesday. Huge ice jams in some rivers. Not a question of flooding but how much.

I fed my local Insult of Ravens, maybe 10 of them. Dry dog food which they gulp down and flat squares of dry bread crust.
They pick up one square, stack in on a second one, grab the pile and fly up into one of my spruce trees. 12" + DBH and 40-50' tall.
The cold to -30C has been hard on everybody. There's about 6 of them in the middle tree, watching me in my study!
I'm running Cooper Discoverer Ice tires with crushed walnut shell traction compound in the rubber. Beats the hello out of studs.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Snow arrived in Kent this evening. almost an inch landed in some places, I hit the road with spikey tyre equipped bike to get some snow cycling in. I got about 4km into the ride and it stopped snowing and started sleeting then it started raining. By the time I got home My gloves were soaked through and the snow was just slush. I'm guessing that's winter over with, and I need some better gloves.

J

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
had wet slush for a few minutes and that was it ..bbc promised heavy snow tomorrow morning for two hours, but now they have changed it to light for an hour

not impressed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fast forward, kids. Another week of -25C nights and -20 to -15C days. Good sun and the days are noticably longer.
Neighbor lost a bearing in his transmission 2 nights ago (we guess). Bigger truck than mine.
Started OK with the clutch depressed to reduce the rolling resistance. All was fine.
Took his foot off the clutch and the bearings (balls? rods?) came up in the oil into the gears.
OOOPS.

Typical Superduty Pineapple express wind from Hawaii is on the way.
Probable 6" snow, maybe more.
We could see +7C and rain in less than a week = nightmare on the -25C highway.
Last time this happened, we had 150 truckers stuck here to feed for 4-5 days or more.
We were sort of cut off. Just a couple more freight cars on the train and we are well.
Avalanches are a nuisance but that's a day or two of clean up.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Bit of sleet in Nottingham, now clearing up but nothing settled. The kids are really disappointed so we're off to the peak district tomorrow snow chasing, hopefully there's been enough and it might stay frozen...think I'll be checking a few webcams out in the morning.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
An inch maybe two of snow on the hills in (trying to be) sunny but breezy Brecknockshire. :sun:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. That's Montreal. Hope nobody got hurt, whiplash is easy.
Any curlers in here? "Hack weight and doing the out-turn. Brushers, get off it."

-10C S wind still, warming trend is here. I'll expect 15cm/6" by Tuesday next, maybe rain. It has to warm up here to snow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE