A glass question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I tried this a lot of years ago. If the bottle (I used Brown beer bottles) is directly over the fire it will crack eventually, but if the bottle is to the side of the fire, you can boil water in it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I was thinking if I cut one in half and used the bottom upside down as an oil burner with a tea light under it? There will be about an inch or two (experimenting) between the glass and flame.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I imagine it would shatter the used way you describe. But I have seen them used (quite often) with tea lights in a slightly different manner. In the use I saw, they cut the bottom off but used the top part over the teal lights as a colored lamp. In that use there was no direct contact with the flame and heating was considerably less than the way you propose.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like this, only the ones I saw didn't cut the bottles this short

il_570xN.771140768_mw17.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's highly unlikely that putting the bottom section of a wine bottle as you describe over a tea light will cause it to shatter. Reason being the heat from the tea light will cause it to heat up slowly which will allow the glass time to expand.

Pouring boiling water into the bottle or dropping it into a hot fire you're more or less guaranteed to have the bottom crack off due to the glass not being to deal with the rapid expansion cause by the high heat.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's highly unlikely that putting the bottom section of a wine bottle as you describe over a tea light will cause it to shatter. Reason being the heat from the tea light will cause it to heat up slowly which will allow the glass time to expand.

Pouring boiling water into the bottle or dropping it into a hot fire you're more or less guaranteed to have the bottom crack off due to the glass not being to deal with the rapid expansion cause by the high heat.

But is hot oil and a flame worth chancing with?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Do it outside on a hard standing area just incase. Don't forget the air gap so the candle doesn't go out. Most oil burners will have vents near the top for the hot air to get out. You can make these in glass bottles with an emergency hammer and some patience(miss spent youth)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
But is hot oil and a flame worth chancing with?

I just thought, the oils/wax melts actually require less heat to melt than candles so the candle can be a nice distance from the glass.

But the trouble is if I was to give any away to family or friends I would like to have put it through a worse case scenario first just to keep me from worry lol

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Do it outside on a hard standing area just incase. Don't forget the air gap so the candle doesn't go out. Most oil burners will have vents near the top for the hot air to get out. You can make these in glass bottles with an emergency hammer and some patience(miss spent youth)

I got some glass drill bits which i am becoming a master at using, after a few mishaps that is! As they say, learn from your mistakes. Only trouble is the mistakes are usually the nice bottles. :(

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
I got some glass drill bits which i am becoming a master at using, after a few mishaps that is! As they say, learn from your mistakes. Only trouble is the mistakes are usually the nice bottles. :(
Best drink lots of wine then mate. I do feel very sorry for you (Internet sarcasm)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Am I misunderstanding, are you pkanning to fill the bottom half of the bottle with oil and placing a tea light under it?

No. Cut the bottle horizontally across the middle then turn the bottom half upside down, put a tea candle "inside" the upturned bottle and oil/wax melts in the dip in the bottom of the bottle (which will actually be at the top).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No. Cut the bottle horizontally across the middle then turn the bottom half upside down, put a tea candle "inside" the upturned bottle and oil/wax melts in the dip in the bottom of the bottle (which will actually be at the top).

So what you're trying to make are essential oil burners?

If that's the case then you're talking about a few drops of oil in a tablespoon or so of water which is then heated by the candle to infuse the room so no problem at all. I've seen it done before, just make sure you have some air holes for the candle to burn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE