Wild camping tent and wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Of course he does have money and is currently renting accommodation, he said so in his posts.

Imo you lot are being a bit harsh here. I sympathise with David as I and I'm sure others have been stuck where they only just earn enough to live, believe me it's not a nice place to be.

David, how close to passing your test are you? That's the real key here.

You won't like living in a tent long term, even when you don't have to move constantly, it gets very difficult

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I wasn't being harsh, I've only questioned and yes I've been there but, in his OP he says he wants to escape the rent trap and now is on about renting land, you're local, can he pitch in your garden :D

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
He can afford to live but not save as he stated. I am in Wiltshire yes and I have offered any help I can via pm already. However, Wiltshire is a big place if you don't drive.

2 reasons he can't pitch in my garden, the Mrs and the Mrs 😁

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hmmm, some very interesting thoughts there, I think I'll have a go at the odd bit oof wild camping anyway, just for fun, but it sounds like a some form of van might be the way to go.... I'm in the process of taking driving lessons now (having sucessfully failed my test three times haha) so perhaps a little bit of patience and a van will go a long way. Does anyone have any good links/ advice on suitable vehicles and how to adapt them?

Regards

David[/QUOTE.

Boat.....? yes i know Wilts is landlocked, but canal boat?????

Last edited:

hyperblue

Jan 8, 2017
Salisbury, England
I have money to 'rent' land or dump my tent on it assuming they will not be charging £5-700 pm. I am currently renting a flat of course, I'm not homeless, it's not completely unafordable, I can rent a flat, but I cannot save a penny in this area, if you read my previous post I explain what I am trying to do and thus why it is not viable to continue renting. No commercial sites close enough without a vehicle, my workplace is surrounded by farmland. Indeed I do, I imagine they would have no problem with me doing some washing there, I hope anyway and showering won't be a problem, in fact it is required everytime you enter the building. I get the bus every other day and cycle the days I don't, again it's an expensive area.

David

hyperblue

Jan 8, 2017
Salisbury, England
Hey Tom,

I think you are definetely right Tom, the driving is key. So far I have failed every test at the last minute, for some reason when I realise I'm approaching the end I keep panicking and making the most stupid mistakes, there is no real reason i shouldn't pass, as during lessons I drive perfectly. So to answer your question, close I think.

I'm definetely getting the vibe that a tent is not the way to go here. :D

hyperblue

Jan 8, 2017
Salisbury, England
Hmmm, some very interesting thoughts there, I think I'll have a go at the odd bit oof wild camping anyway, just for fun, but it sounds like a some form of van might be the way to go.... I'm in the process of taking driving lessons now (having sucessfully failed my test three times haha) so perhaps a little bit of patience and a van will go a long way. Does anyone have any good links/ advice on suitable vehicles and how to adapt them?

Regards

David[/QUOTE.

Boat.....? yes i know Wilts is landlocked, but canal boat?????

Certainly an interesting though, I would have thought they would be quite pricey though?

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
There was a video on the bbc news site not that long ago about a young guy (20s?) who slept in the woods, but travelled into a town every day to work. Think he used a hammock and tarp.
Was in england somewhere, but i cant find the article or remember his name at all. Think he had done it for a year or so.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Do not forget that even a normal saloon car can be slept in for a few nights, if you choose correctly. Works well if you park in designated parking spaces.

In Sweden ( and other Scandinavian countries) we have an ancient Right to Roam law. It gives us freedom, and responsibilities, to use all land in the pursuit of our hobby.

I might have been a but "strong' in my previous post, but I think most people would have been if they had their workshop vandalized and all valuable equipment stolen by "travelers".
And I strongly dislike when people feel laws and regulations are optional.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I think it's clear the OP didn't mean to upset the apple cart by asking what he did.

It's a naïve question but not offensive or aggressive.

I think Janne was harsh here... But that's just my opinion.

The current situation for young people is far more difficult than it was when I was his age, despite our 1st world status ...

but without making excuses for hyperblue , it sounds like a genuine question to a crowd that is bound together by a love for nature and the "simpler" way of life.

For a total beginner , most members on here must seem as "experts" in all things "survival and bush lore" ...So why Google some question like that? Ask the folk and maybe learn something , right?
I'm a Noob in this forum malarkey, and up until recently I had not registered with any forum.
I've noticed it too when someone asks a question that has been answered a million times... Like "what's the best Bushcraft knife?" Type of question...

Facebook and other social media is still growing and the masses follow.
Forums are not thriving as well as they could as a result , and they're in decline...
So maybe we should be a little less condescending and aggressive towards new members , or noobs , regardless if the questions they ask are stupid , obvious or even just crazy...

You never know, some maybe very young ... may have had trouble in life , less able or impaired, or even unstable and affected by a mental illness or trauma...

Turns out it's just a kid with a silly question , that maybe thought the folk on here would advise youngsters it'd be fine to go out and break "THE LAW" as long as you leave no trace...😏
And we all know that doesn't happen on public place...
But we can still give guidance and encouragement in a objective and positive manner .

Toddy's post illustrates this beautifully.
👍👍

And so does everyone elses ...

@ hyperblue;

I've wild camped illegally in England, and have always made a point of leaving no rubbish or fire scars in the ground...
And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here.

... but in this small and overcrowded island is best you gain permission first from the landowner.
There are many ways you can do this , as posted above including working and helping them as well as renting a spot.

I've gained permission now on a friend's farm woodland, but that's just for spring and summer.

In the meantime check out "NWC"
http://www.nearlywildcamping.org/about/

Its about £20 a year and whilst not exactly "wild" is definitely legal!
👍

Rant over , I'll sit back in my Noob chair now... 😁

Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
David, another option is to rent a room rather than a whole flat. I've done this and if your not fussy about having huge amounts of space you can pay very little for a roof and bills. I paid 275 a month, all I had to cover was food and my personal bills.

Try spareroom.co.uk and see what's available in your area

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry, and yes, I was harsh. Comes from a very bad experience.

In all the years I have overnighted close to civilisation, all over Europe, I have always asked for permission, and have been OK'd every time except a handful.
I even asked in Sweden and Norway, even if I had the law on my side. Yes, been refused too, and I always moved on.

But by asking, I had on many occasions been invited to shower, to sleep in the barn, even invited to share the food and sleep in the house.

During my studies, which were between my 22 and 27th year, I had many times problems finding money to buy food once the needed expenses were paid. I had to resort to what is called today as "dumpster diving".
During summers I had zero money, nowhere to live and sleep.
Due to a depression, there was no work to be had.
I lived in and off nature.
(Never asked parents for help as we had a catastrophic fallout in my late teens)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Do not forget that even a normal saloon car can be slept in for a few nights, if you choose correctly. Works well if you park in designated parking spaces.

In Sweden ( and other Scandinavian countries) we have an ancient Right to Roam law. It gives us freedom, and responsibilities, to use all land in the pursuit of our hobby.

I might have been a but "strong' in my previous post, but I think most people would have been if they had their workshop vandalized and all valuable equipment stolen by "travelers".
And I strongly dislike when people feel laws and regulations are optional.

Ah well that explains the "reaction" .

I started on my previous post before I read this ... As it takes me ages to type.
So apologies for my rant.

Freedom to roam sounds great , but does that apply to private property?
How does it work with roaming reindeer and nomadic fauna ? Is there boundaries or are the farmers and landowners not allowed to impose these boundaries and/or fences?

Just curious ...

As for the OP , plenty of good advice here already 👍

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Freedom to roam sounds great , but does that apply to private property?
How does it work with roaming reindeer and nomadic fauna ? Is there boundaries or are the farmers and landowners not allowed to impose these boundaries and/or fences?

Just curious ...

As for the OP , plenty of good advice here already ��

It is called 'Alkemansrätten' which I translate into 'Everymans Rights' . It is written in the Swedish laws but it does not specify well what and how. Basically it says that everybody has the right to enjoy all lands and waters, but with responsibilites.
Yes, all lands, in private, church and state ownerhip, including the areas the Same live on. But they do not own much lands, it belongs to the State. They have extended rights though, like fishing rights. They are the only ones that can own and herd Reindeer. All Reindeer belong to a Same. No hunting. (In Norway they have wild reindeer too, hunted on license.).
Land:
I can pick mushrooms, wild berries, collect acorns and certain plants everwhere. I can sleep anywhere at least one night, as long as I am a certain distance from a house ( 100m? 150m?) I can make a fire if I do not damage the soil, or any exposed rock. Iam allowed to collect fallen branches and cones and take woid from stubs or dead fallen trees.
It is my responsiblity to make sure the fire does not spread, must not leave any rubbish or disturbed soil.
I must not disturb the wildlife. Keep the dog on leash while the young animals are defenseless.
I must not disturb Reindeer. Keep away when they are being herded between summer and winter areas.

Water: I can swim, sail, use watercraft. Not disturb birds, or birds sitting on eggs. I can fish on State ( Church ?) lands if I get a permit ( which is cheap usually except some Salmon rivers).
Fishing in Privates lakes I need a permit from the owner.
Fishing in the sea is free.

You can not take or damage crops.
Fences are quite unusual, can be crossed. I do not think you can walk in somebodys garden or park areas ( around castles and stately homes)

There is a debate going on since years if picking berries and mushrooms for commercial use is included in the Right.

I might be wrong in some detail, maybe another Scandihooligan can chime in?

Overall it works extremely well. Because of this extensive freedom, we love and spend a lot of time bonding with Nature.

As far as I know most animals belong to the land owner be it private, church ir State, you need a permit to hunt within the season. Boar has an open season.

I should add that it is custom to ask in the nearest house if it is ok to do whatever you are planning to do. Maybe leave some berries or fungi as a Thank You.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In your Post#15, you intend to go all the way to South Africa for a course.
No suitable educational opportunities any closer?
I'd expect the UK to have at least one of everything!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice reply Janne!👍

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed answer to my question, I appreciate it.

That sounds great, right?

Everyman's rights should be valid here too, even though I understand why it's not... The fauna, the geography and demographics dictate that .

I visit Jon's website sometimes for his great tutorials ...
http://jonsbushcraft.com/Articles and tutorials.htm
...And I think he's emigrated to Norway now , for exactly the same reasons.

It's just not possible , let alone legal , to do that over here ... Living off the land and roaming freely.
What a great opportunity.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain. 👍

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You sre welcome!

That 'right' has percolated down from historical times. Large parts of the population were incredibly poor, and land less, and to augment the meagre food supplies with wild food was one way to survive. I believe that in UK the Commons were once areas where the poor could have a sheep or goat? The Scandi rights are like extended Commons.

It has worked well as Scandinavia is vast and sparsely populated. Plenty of rivers and lakes where people could fish.

One weird thing is this: collecting funghi is not a traditional thing in Sweden, only a very few sorts, 3 or 4, were known and consumed. When the big Famine hit Sweden in the 1860's many Swedes starved or had to emigrate to America. The Finns, having a similar funghi culture as the Russians, did much, much better. In %, far less Finns starved or emigrated.

Just shows how a deep knowledge of nature can save you in an extreme situation.
I yhink many posters here would do very well in bad tines!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE