Dash Cams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for my car because of the amount of numpty drivers there seems to be about.

I know there's a guy on Youtube (techmoan) that does fairly honest reviews of them but I was wondering if anyone on here has a personal recommendation for a particular model.

I'm not looking for one that can multi-task like a go pro type camera, just a dedicated dash cam that will stay in my car all the time.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
My wife's car and mine have a Blackvue DR650-GW fitted to them. There are front and rear camera's with the front running at 1080p and the rear at 720.

We've had them a few years now and they are excellent. They work well and the app for smartphones and computer viewers work well.

Peice of cake to fit, it's easy to hide the wires in the trim.

My only issue over the years as our cars have got newer you can get signal interference on DAB radio. My wife's new Toyota Auris hybrid has the DAB antennae integrated into the windscreen so it was pain to place the camera and cables so they didn't interfere. My Yaris has the antennae at the back so had no such problems.

I think they are an excellent idea, as you say there are plenty of idiots out there. They cover you and other road users (it might not be an accident involving you) obviously if you cause the problem it incriminates you but I think that makes you think about your driving and makes you a better and more considerate driver and therefore less inclined to have an accident anyway! Some insurance company's also offer discount if they are fitted.

We've never needed ours yet but my boss had them in his vehicles for a few years. After 30+ years of driving he had 2 accidents in a very short space of time. The instant and postive change in the attitudes of the police and insurance company's when they found out there was footage of the accidents was impressive.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
i use an actioncam as a dashcam
my advice is get something that is wide angle, 170 degrees or so
and make sure its high res, at least 1080p or better

techmoans reviews are good, he knows a lot about dashcams,

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Mini 0806 model dash cam, small unobtrusive and loaded with features. I've got some old files here somewhere If I can find 'em I'll upload them to YT and post a link. It comes with a GPS mount for location and speed recorded on screen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dash cam we used in the US was from ebay and simply called "twin lens dash cam"

Front view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpC-YTnF5x0

Rear view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qECJpmeHRM

This one.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/i1000-...black-box-with-rear-view-camera_p1679791.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE