My new damascas bushy by mick1991.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Fair play mate!. You can tell damasteel a mile away..... nothing comes close. They do one in RWL 34 too.... karesuando make a decent legit knife!

Cheers Mark. Bit of alright innit mate? Shiny......

Sure thing. Its damasteel rose, [suits a yorkshireman then.]

Its a Karesuando knife, all swedish materials....DAMASTEEL PATTERNS

Someone told me it takes them two days or thereabouts to make it with their mechanical hammers.

DAMASTEEL® is the best performing stainless Damascus patterned steel in the world using the latest gas-atomized PM technology with very high cleanliness.
Damasteel® is a product of the mill that was established 1676 in Söderfors.
Beaver damascus Rose [3501R]
Brand New.
3mm thick spine.

Last edited:

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
Don't think we'll be hearing from Mick. Still making out its Damasteel :) beware of future purchases people.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think it's clear looking at all three of those knives together that there is some lying going on. One misremembered detail I could understand but the detail given of processes, I doubt it.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Don't think we'll be hearing from Mick. Still making out its Damasteel :) beware of future purchases people.

Have you PM'd him since this thread Chris? Is he refusing to take part or just no reply yet?

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
He refunded me very quickly. Still makes out it was from Damasteel. He even offered to produce invoices to prove authenticity. When I asked to see them he got defensive and went quiet. Don't think there is any doubt.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
OK , so I've been waiting to chime in as I thought Mick would do the same and defend his work , but it seems this isn't going to happen.
I'm disappointed as I really rated his work and appreciated his reasonable price tag for us that can't afford the very best.
As seen on this thread , over on Natural Bushcraft UK forum , his knife was given to me as a result of a knife naming competition...
https://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9823

As I was so grateful , I couldn't just not pay the man for his efforts, so I slipped him £30 through PayPal , just to pay for his postage and get him a few pints as a token of my appreciation.

A good few weeks ago I stupidly dropped it on a concrete floor and got a "ding" on the edge .
No real problem as it was still scary sharp , but it annoyed the hell out of me and my slightly OCD for all things sharp.
Being a carpenter I'm obsessed with keeping my tools as sharp and true as humanly possible.
So I got my diamond stones out to get the ding out and then the Japanese water stones to get the scratches out and the mirror polish that I obssess with...😊

So after quite a few hours of work and a lot of swearing 😁, I managed to get the ding out!
I thought this was the hardest steel I ever worked with ... As it was really hard to get the bleeding thing straight again.

I got it spot on again and ready for last weeks outing , overnight in the woods.

The sheath I bought for it (just a cheap one off the evilbay) has a brass or similar button popper to secure the Knife in , so after using it a few times I realised the blade was "dinged" again!!!😵

So in the back of my mind , I was thinking " what a load of bull excrement, this RWL34 steel is!" I mean surely it should be harder than a "soft" button popper, but also thought that maybe I ruined the temper by getting the ding out with the diamond stones?!
I kept it cool and used water to avoid the blueing of the blade, but thought maybe I wrecked it somehow?

Well , now reading this thread , I looked at HH and must admit the similarities between my blade and the £10.95 blank sold on there are uncanny.
I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that it's obviously a cheap steel and soft as a length of boiled spaghetti...😒

All those weeks ago Mick did offer to reprofile the knife and get it back to what it was , but now I'm having second thoughts about that.

So...

Is there a way to re-harden the steel again? Considering it has got the scales on , I'd imagine a high temperature oven treatment would probably crack the Yew ,but then again I maybe wrong...
Any help would be very appreciated!

In the meantime , I'll keep using my Mora and stop fretting about the dings on the buzzard...

I also PM 'd him just yesterday to question and make him aware of this thread but have not received a reply .

What a shame it is, as he seemed like a genuine bloke just doing these tools for folk that can't afford the big price tags on quality knives , and it seemed he did it for the love! 😒

As a chippie I've always heard ,"if you buy cheap , you buy twice!" But Mora disproves this theory. Shame that same can't be said for Mick's work.
It's disappointing indeed.

So even though I haven't paid top dollar for the buzzard , I still feel a bit cheated and can only hope that Mick comes out and clarifies these concerns and "allegations".
Hopefully he will as he was always a pleasure to communicate with and very helpful indeed.

Come on Dr. Mick ! Come out and explain ? 👍😁

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You won't have over heated the steel on diamond stones. Pretty much impossible when doing things like that by hand.

No way to re harden either, not with a handle on... stainless needs about 1000ºc minimum to harden, plus, with not knowing what steel it is also.............

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
You won't have over heated the steel on diamond stones. Pretty much impossible when doing things like that by hand.

No way to re harden either, not with a handle on... stainless needs about 1000ºc minimum to harden, plus, with not knowing what steel it is also.............
Hmmm... Thanks HillBill.
So I guess it's a dud now... No point in taking the handle off and pins considering how much work that involves.
I know you can carbonise wood at relatively high temperatures , rendering it hard as steel and making it stronger but it's too much hassle.
Is there a knife cemetery or similar way to dispose of things like this? as it's no good as a tool anymore ...
What a waste of time and materials...
Or is there anything else I can do with this?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Anyone who has had issues with knives is entitled to a full refund by sending a PM. As for proving provenance if knives I can send on invoices for original steel orders if I still have them

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
If I still have them? As long as you didn't pay by cash I'm sure there will be lots of ways to trace a purchase from Damasteel.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
You say that like its a bad thing! :rolleyes:

The knife you bought may or may not have been made from stilton of dubious provenance but wootz steel (the traditional raw material of damascus/damask blades) came from the Indian subcontinent and generations of European blacksmiths would have sold their souls to know the secret! :)

http://archaeology.about.com/od/ancientweapons/a/damascus_steel.htm

Thanks for the link :) I've learnt so much about steel, it's origins and forms in the past few days. I was referring to the modern Steel industry, which may be the source of the blank. If so we have no knowledge of the quality.
Love a bit of Stilton :) HNY
You say that like its a bad thing! :rolleyes:

The knife you bought may or may not have been made from stilton of dubious provenance but wootz steel (the traditional raw material of damascus/damask blades) came from the Indian subcontinent and generations of European blacksmiths would have sold their souls to know the secret! :)

http://archaeology.about.com/od/ancientweapons/a/damascus_steel.htm

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
Anyone who has had issues with knives is entitled to a full refund by sending a PM. As for proving provenance if knives I can send on invoices for original steel orders if I still have them

New Year New Morals.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

Good on you for coming out and offering refunds Mick! 👍

New year , new beginnings .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE