Leather boots without a waterproof liner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Looking for a new pair of tough 3 season boots or similar but I don't seem to be able to find a single pair without a waterproof liner. Time was you bought boots with just a cambrelle or leather lining and the quality of the boot and leather kept them waterproof as long as you waxed them. To me waterproof liners are far too hot and once filled with water take forever to dry.

Any decent manufacturers make a tough leather boot without waterproof liners?

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Thanks folks, hadn't thought to look at military boots as I usually get more walking boot orientated but the ones mentioned look great. I had a pair of Alt-Berg Tethera a few years ago that lasted one walk and then were sold. They were brilliant quality but I am a U.K. 10 and I found them just a little too tight on the toes. I expect I need a 10.5 in Alt-Berg how is the sizing on the military boots?

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
the defenders use a liner to get the best fit see the web site

I got a new pair of ebay bargain price,very comfortable and with leder gris I av never had wet feet from altbergs.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Lundhags and Haglöfs. Made to take the Swedish wilderness. Repairable.

My old trusty boot is a Redwing Irish Setter, unlined, but I think they all are lined these days?

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
IIRC The Altbergs are rated well by soldiers for marching in. I have just bought a pair for my son for cadets, got a new pair at a stupidly low price and he loves them. I might have a second pair up for sale soon, but they will be size 13/M

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I find the altbergs very comfy for hiking in and the fit options are excellent. Available in half sizes and wide fitting options. Plus made in Yorkshire and repairable.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Hanwag SF LX - leather lined - brown. Best boots I've ever owned (4 decades of operational service). Pricey but top quality, they should last you donkey's!

Advert is from Becketts Adventure.

Hanwag Boot.jpg

Hanwag boot 'in action' :lmao:

Hanwag Boot(ii).jpg

Attachments

• iphone7 078.jpg
    iphone7 078.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 23

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Thanks folks, hadn't thought to look at military boots as I usually get more walking boot orientated but the ones mentioned look great. I had a pair of Alt-Berg Tethera a few years ago that lasted one walk and then were sold. They were brilliant quality but I am a U.K. 10 and I found them just a little too tight on the toes. I expect I need a 10.5 in Alt-Berg how is the sizing on the military boots?

Its not the length its the width. Since you live in Cumbria your only about an hour away from the altberg factory in Richmond. I would reccomend that you go there and get a proper fitting done by the people who actually make the boots. It doesn't cost any extra over the price of the boots themselves and obviously it means you can try them for fit before buying.

I don't rate the defenders myself, they're too soft at the ankle for proper support. Look into lowa boots, they do a few without the goretex (Patrol, supercamp) They fit a bit neater at the ankle for me and the leather isn't too soft, but still very comfortable. The issue Haix are also very good with a squarer toecap so they have a bit more width in them, although they have a liner.

Tonyuk

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Lows Patrol look excellent and can be had for £30 less than AltBergs new but that's online without being able to try first so may not work out. Its between the Patrol and Warrior for what I want so will go with one or the other.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Bundeswehr (German) combat boots. They've had good boots since at least the 80's

This guy knows. Cheap, comfortable, do very good at keeping the water out, even better if treated and damn tough!

I've got some swiss army boots off go army for like £20, they fit extremely well for me personally, and I like the design, they'll last forever and share the same pros as the boots above.

Shop around military surplus! Amongst the crap there's usually a gem

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Thanks will look at those as well. Problem for me with surplus is you really need to go look at the stuff first hand to weed out the chaff and there isn't a surplus shop anywhere near where I live!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
if your budget is limited, then the old Swedish Army boots are superb. Get a new or nearly new pair and your son will inherit them. The newer version is good too, but not as well made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE