Myocardial Infarction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Dunc, when is your procedure scheduled for?
I haven´t recieved a date yet. My last one was the end of November. They wind down a bit over christmas. Taking mainly emergencies.
I guess it'll be January. I first went to the doc at the beginning of September, had 2 procedures already. It´s a quick turnover.
My local hospital is luckily known for exactly these procedures. :)
Right now just looking forward to going home for Christmas. :)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I just thought i'd add this, i no it's trivial to the stuff other folk on the thread are going through.

I thought i had some thing wrong with my ticker a few month ago. I used i get slight heart flutters on the left hand side of my chest, but only when i was resting, watching tv or on the laptop. Decided to go my doctors and get checked out, i told my doctor my symptoms, and what activity's i do, ie dog walking, wild camping, hiking, fishing, mountain biking. She asked if i get them when i do strenuous exercise, me, no only when i'm resting.
She checked me over with her stethoscope, and said my heart was pumping normal and heart valves sounded ok. Then she asked do i smoke, me, packed in 4 years ago, she asked do i drink coffee, me yes by the gallon load lol, i'd been over loading on the coffee, she said caffeine was causing heart palpation's.

I was fully expecting to be referred to the hospital for a MRI scan. I've eased of on the coffee, i've not had them again.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just thought i'd add this, i no it's trivial to the stuff other folk on the thread are going through.

I thought i had some thing wrong with my ticker a few month ago. I used i get slight heart flutters on the left hand side of my chest, but only when i was resting, watching tv or on the laptop. Decided to go my doctors and get checked out, i told my doctor my symptoms, and what activity's i do, ie dog walking, wild camping, hiking, fishing, mountain biking. She asked if i get them when i do strenuous exercise, me, no only when i'm resting.
She checked me over with her stethoscope, and said my heart was pumping normal and heart valves sounded ok. Then she asked do i smoke, me, packed in 4 years ago, she asked do i drink coffee, me yes by the gallon load lol, i'd been over loading on the coffee, she said caffeine was causing heart palpation's.

I was fully expecting to be referred to the hospital for a MRI scan. I've eased of on the coffee, i've not had them again.

This explains a lot. Thanks. I went with similar symptoms and did indeed get an EKG, and a stress test. Nothing was found wrong so i went along for another couple of years before the next set of tests (I try to get them fairly regularly) with the same results. The following year I asked for a referral to a cardiologist to be sure; same tests, same results.

And yes, I also drink caffeine to excess.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
This explains a lot. Thanks. I went with similar symptoms and did indeed get an EKG, and a stress test. Nothing was found wrong so i went along for another couple of years before the next set of tests (I try to get them fairly regularly) with the same results. The following year I asked for a referral to a cardiologist to be sure; same tests, same results.

And yes, I also drink caffeine to excess.

No worries mate, i was in two minds whether to post it up, considering the serious conditions other folk are having.

rancid badger

If you have any suspicions that you might be having any kind of cardiac event, immediately dial 999 and let the professionals decide what's what.

There's no shame in it what so ever if you are later diagnosed with a trapped nerve, bad indigestion or being a bit over anxious.

You could just as easily be in the midst of a major cardiac event.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
If you have any suspicions that you might be having any kind of cardiac event, immediately dial 999 and let the professionals decide what's what.

There's no shame in it what so ever if you are later diagnosed with a trapped nerve, bad indigestion or being a bit over anxious.

Aye, to right mate.

If i thought it was any thing serious, i'd advise any one to ring for a ambulance straight away.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO

Absolutely!
I live in an area with reasonably low population. At my county hospital they do about 3000 angiograms a year. Recently a documentary from Newcastle i think, showed they do 70,000 a year!
Really illustrates how big a problem it is. Don´t take a chance. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Absolutely!
I live in an area with reasonably low population. At my county hospital they do about 3000 angiograms a year. Recently a documentary from Newcastle i think, showed they do 70,000 a year!
Really illustrates how big a problem it is. Don´t take a chance. :)

Just off hand, do you know what proportion of those are coronary angiograms? How many are pulmanary angiograms, and how many are cerebral angiograms, and how many are peripheral angiograms?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Some 20 yrs ago had the first of 2 MI, the first one was misdiagnosed (incompetent Dr. who later lost his license to practice). I was not feeling well (sweats, chest pain, unease) but didn't go to the ER until 3 days later, went to the gym, had physical contact (yes)....
That led to the second one 2 yrs later, same physical effects, walk 3 miles to the hospital (1rst one was not a MI so I never paid attention to much) waited 3 hrs in ER and then finally got to the treatment room and waited again, Dr. took blood, ECG etc...code blue was called and as I was lying there I thought some poor smuck was in trouble,
I was that poor smuck:lmao:in ACU pronto, stayed in hospital for a week or so, the Dr. (new one said that he could help to a degree on the second (present one).
As for the first one it was too late.
I have (had) a very high pain tolerance, and it masked my problems, after some down time (6 months) and some rehab I started to again go out hunt, fish, canoe trek (some solo) but I unconsciously (till a couple of yrs ago) lessening my exposure and frequency in the outdoors.
I would rather die doing something that I want to do than die a the hospital bed. My choice, to each their own.
First thing get a good Dr. one that other patients recommend, follow Dr., heart failure team's advice.
End the length and intensity of events and always with others (who know what condition you have, to help out. You don't have to stop, just realistically, modify, limit, exertion and realize that your life has changed. Life sucks deal with it.
I have 6 stints, 3 angio grams and 3 angio plasty, 2 pacemakers/defibrillators, my heart function is now less than 20%, my kidneys have lessened to a 25% functioning level. I am on a daily liquid capacity (1.8 litres). Have had 4 heart failures, get use to enjoy hospital food :).
Have had the last rites 3 times in one week alone, (Creator doesn't want me, and apparently things are bad enough in hell without me adding to it:rofl:)
Have been given so many days, weeks, months to live but as I am not smart enough to lie down I am still here.
Be supportive of family and friends as you are not the only one in this venture. And be realistic on your capacity, don't put others in agony watching you.
I have lost 150 pounds of muscle (used to body build), don't hunt in 3 yrs, (still plan on it but it hasn't gone my way YET).
Oh by the way, have as good of a time you have left, life is a gift.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Oh yah, don't feel bad for me, I don't I feel bad for myself, I only feel bad for my wife and son for being such a burden.
On a good note I have an offer to council at an Aboriginal healing circle in southern Ontario, makes me feel good to be wanted.

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Just off hand, do you know what proportion of those are coronary angiograms? How many are pulmanary angiograms, and how many are cerebral angiograms, and how many are peripheral angiograms?
Couldn´t tell you i´m afraid. I´m picking up things as i go along. A lot to learn in a short space of time.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Its just an X-ray examination - the number is more a sign off good access rather than a populations poor health?

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
Its just an X-ray examination - the number is more a sign off good access rather than a populations poor health?
It´s a bit more than just an x-ray.
I think it illustrates a problem that was otherwise not seen. Advances in technology and practices make it easier to find and eventually treat.
It´s pretty amazing what they can do.
It´ll be fixed soon enough. Hopefully in time to enjoy the winter. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I know what they entail, what I'm simply saying it's a routine test used to gain a specific diagnosis - plenty who undergo it don't get a positive result, saying 70,000 a year illustrates how big a problem it is a little simplistic.

There are something like 40 million examinations involving X-rays in the UK each year

rancid badger

I know what they entail, what I'm simply saying it's a routine test used to gain a specific diagnosis - plenty who undergo it don't get a positive result, saying 70,000 a year illustrates how big a problem it is a little simplistic.

There are something like 40 million examinations involving X-rays in the UK each year

According to the NHS :

Coronary Angiogram;

Serious complications

In very rare cases, more serious complications of coronary angiography can occur. These include:

• damage to the artery in the arm or groin in which the catheter was inserted, with the blood supply to the limb possibly being affected
  • heart attack – a serious medical emergency where the heart's blood supply is suddenly blocked
  • stroke – a serious medical condition that occurs when the blood supply to the brain is interrupted
  • damage to the kidneys caused by the contrast dye
  • tissue damage caused by X-ray radiation if the procedure is prolonged
  • death
The risk of a serious complication occurring is estimated to be less than 1 in 1,000.
People with serious underlying heart problems are most at risk.
Your cardiologist should discuss the risks with you before the procedure.

It's a "routine test" with some potentially nasty and indeed, fatal consequences and should you be referred for the "routine test", you'd do well to both listen very carefully to what your cardiologist is telling you when you have your pre-procedure meeting and do a bit of light research just so you are really fully aware of how serious this is.

Obviously x-rays are used but it really is a lot more than "just an x-ray", no matter how "routine" it is.

more here if you care to look:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/CoronaryAngiography/Pages/Risks.aspx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE