Snow knife - (Inuit and igloos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've asked this question over on British Blades but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else could give a helpful answer...

I try to spend as much time as I can in the French Alps during the winter. Something I've often fancied trying, especially as it has some pretty important survival uses if one is stuck in the back country for some reason, is building an igloo.

I know a lot of people use a snow saw for such a task, but the more traditional method is by using a "snow knife". I believe the proper name for them is Pana.
Apparently they could be bought from trading posts in Northern Canada for about the price of a fox skin - presumably quite cheap.

Does anyone know where I could go about getting one and how much they are likely to cost?

The snow will probably start falling in about 4 to 6 weeks and I'd love to have a crack at it this winter.
I'm also going to have a crack at making quinzee and normal snow holes - but I'd really like to have a go at making an igloo with a "proper" snow knife.

Cheers.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
A Pana is a simple thin bladed long knife.

The picture below shows an Innuit with his Pana
chad.jpg

Now they may not be available any more to buy but you can buy a 19th century pattern 10 inch butchers knife which is very similar

See below
10butchers19centry.jpg

Hope this helps

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'm sure I read somewhere that they used to be made of whalebone. I think there is a drawing in wildwood wisdom.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I think any long thin blade would be fine. I stumbled across this Mora at Ragweed Forge a while back. It is inexpensive and looks to be about right.

c-223.jpg

Text from Ragnar...

C-223; This is big knife designed for butchering big game. It would also work nicely as a general camp knife for food preparation, building shelters, etc. You could consider it the Swedish version of the Leuku. The carbon steel blade is about 8 3/4" long, 1 1/2" wide, and .075" thick. The 5 1/2" hard plastic handle is molded directly on the tang and works well with both average and large hands. The handle is shaped and textured for a secure grip even when wet. It comes with either a bright yellow handle that's easy to find in the bush, or an unobtrusive black handle. Please specify your preference. The knife comes with a sturdy leather belt sheath for $36.
It's also available without a sheath for $15.

I have used a purpose built snow saw made out of thin aluminum with coarse teeth, never a knife. I think a saw would likely be easier to cut the blocks, but for assembly of the igloo the knife seems better suited.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Sounds interesting. I was out last night in the wilds, and had sleet falling, a decent amount of snow higher up. One thing I mean to build is a pulk. Would be handy for towing gear around.

Oh, and I originally thought this topic was about knifes made of snow, which would have been interesting.

I read something last night that suggested a pana was a two handed knife. The old video I saw of a couple of Inuit building an igloo at a trading post didn't have any two handed use that I can remember, but wonder if sometimes it's better to have a 2 handed knife than 1.

Thanks for the knife suggestions.

sam_acw
I believe they were made of bone, probably whale, up until they began to trade with europeans at trading posts - around that time they made the switch to steel.

Chips
The knife-nut's alternative to a snowman eh? Haha.
I imagine a knife like that would have little practical use in any kind of survivable temperatures. :p
I've seen plenty of people using pulks or similar in France - some just used sleds with a longer rope but the principle is the same. Considering how many left their buggies at home and lugged their kids around on one suggests to me that they are very useful.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Bigshot...you might have luck finding dense enough snow to make an igloo..in which case, a snow saw is what you want.

Here's an example and it comes with a shovel too, very useful bit of winter kit. I'm sure you can find a similar product in France or the UK shops. This particular set is for avalanche rescue, with the saw being used to dig snow pits for avalanche assessment.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/viole-pack-shovel-with-snow-saw.aspx

D

edit to add: I recall seeing a Do It Yourself snow saw someplace...you might be able to find it on the web.

I've already got a snow saw on my shopping list. Off hand I can think of about 6 shops that sell snow saws - and know there are several more just up and down the valley a bit. I lived in Chamonix for a while - twice - so I've come across them before :p

Snow saws are great for cutting pits to check the pack and also handy for crevasse rescue sometimes. And while they are good for quarrying the blocks, I believe they aren't quite so hot when it comes to shaping the blocks to go onto the igloo though.

That said, I know a saw would probably be easier for some bits - especially if I got one that fit onto my shovel handle (I'm already kitted out for avalanche rescue) for a more upright cutting action and longer reach - it's the traditional side of using a knife as opposed to a saw that appeals.

No doubt I'll use both at some point - but I'm really keen to have a crack with a knife first. Maybe I'm silly - but I can live with that :p

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think any long thin blade would be fine. I stumbled across this Mora at Ragweed Forge a while back. It is inexpensive and looks to be about right.

c-223.jpg

Text from Ragnar...

C-223; This is big knife designed for butchering big game. It would also work nicely as a general camp knife for food preparation, building shelters, etc. You could consider it the Swedish version of the Leuku. The carbon steel blade is about 8 3/4" long, 1 1/2" wide, and .075" thick. The 5 1/2" hard plastic handle is molded directly on the tang and works well with both average and large hands. The handle is shaped and textured for a secure grip even when wet. It comes with either a bright yellow handle that's easy to find in the bush, or an unobtrusive black handle. Please specify your preference. The knife comes with a sturdy leather belt sheath for $36.
It's also available without a sheath for $15.

I have used a purpose built snow saw made out of thin aluminum with coarse teeth, never a knife. I think a saw would likely be easier to cut the blocks, but for assembly of the igloo the knife seems better suited.

The C 223 is a great knife, I have one that I put as part fo a competition prize but there was a lack of interest so it's still sat on my desk!

Cannuck

Dec 12, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Snow knives are still made by grohmann knives in Pictou, Nova Scotia. They're a bit expensive at 70 dollars Canadian. Good quality knives though. You can check out their website. I would just make my own. They're easy to make with any metal and snow knives don't need an edge on them. The ones I used in the Canadian army were just flat pieces of metal 1.5 inches wide and 12 to 14 inches long and they cut through snow with ease. Relatively inexpensive to make and you can tape a foam handle to it or bolt on a wooden one. I hope this helps.

I've asked this question over on British Blades but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else could give a helpful answer...

I try to spend as much time as I can in the French Alps during the winter. Something I've often fancied trying, especially as it has some pretty important survival uses if one is stuck in the back country for some reason, is building an igloo.

I know a lot of people use a snow saw for such a task, but the more traditional method is by using a "snow knife". I believe the proper name for them is Pana.
Apparently they could be bought from trading posts in Northern Canada for about the price of a fox skin - presumably quite cheap.

Does anyone know where I could go about getting one and how much they are likely to cost?

The snow will probably start falling in about 4 to 6 weeks and I'd love to have a crack at it this winter.
I'm also going to have a crack at making quinzee and normal snow holes - but I'd really like to have a go at making an igloo with a "proper" snow knife.

Cheers.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
An igloo takes a bit of time to built, which is really not feasible if you only will sleep in it for one or maybe two nights.
It is easier to find a snow drift ( is also made from wind packed snow) and dig a 'grotto" from the side. With a ledge on the side, warmer that way, the cold air sinks to the bottom.
entrance hole the size of your backpack. Leave small gaps.

You can get one of those instruments chefs use to flip pancakes and crepes, the long ones. You do not need a sharp edge.

Edit: in english it is calked a spatula. A 10 incher should be perfect.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Take cannuck's advice and make your own. The Hudson's Bay Company has been a British-based fur-trading institution for centuries.
They are still very active in the arctic. Maybe their website would have a suggestion.

The bottom row in an igloo is often built into a low snowdrift to start the spiral block assembly. There are many Inuit words for snow, depending on the texture.
Even as far south as I am at 53N, there are places which drift and you cannot push your hand into it = hard as dirt.

Snow caves are surprisingly warm, out of the wind if nothing else, blubber/soapstone lamp for light and heat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK, you're in luck. There are Inuit designs and patterns for you to work from.

Search for: UBC/MOA
Select: Research & Collections
Select: Collections Online
Select: Explore Our Collections
Under K: Select 'knife'
You will find some bone and metal snow knives to look at.
Whale rib, shaped on stone where there is nothing but bits of driftwood and trade metal,
makes a good knife 2tpi one edge, smooth other edge = done deal.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Get a short cross cut (coarse teeth) saw (20" - 24") at a yard sale it will serve you well, polish sides to make it slicker. Don't over think it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE