exped downmat 7 pumping options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Evening all, I have an older model downmat with a builtin hand pump, does anyone know it a snozzle bag would be able to attach? It would save a lot of faffing. It has anyone found another source of puff (adapted a bike bump or similar) TIA

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I made one for mine out of a builders rubble bag, spray end of a old plastic garden hose and a cork from a wine bottle.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have an exped downmat 7 with the older valve. I use a snozzle with the adaptor and it's MUCH better than the hand pump thing. And the snozzle bag is the dry bag for my sleeping kit - it easily fits sleeping bag, mat, bivvy, liner and sleep clothes. And the advantage of it as a dry bag is that its easy to expel excess air after you seal and pack it.

wobbler's link above is the one you want for sure.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Thanks guys very helpful, now it all depends if Father Christmas thinks I've been a good boy, Big G your option all sounds a bit Heath Robinson for me if Im honest.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I've just pulled this from the new BCUK site, cos i stupidly deleted the photo's off here.

Here's how i made a very cheap home made alternative to a Exped schnozzel pump bag.

I was gonna buy a Exped schnozzel pump bag, to blow up my exped mat. But after looking on youtube for ideas, i thought i'd make my own. I'm really happy with the outcome, only takes 3 bag's of air, to inflate my exped dlx mat.

Here's how i made it, and materials needed.

1. Strong bin liner or builders rubble bag.

2. Garden hose spray nozzle.

3. Wine bottle cork.

I had a old garden hose spray nozzle, that i cut up and used. Cut a small corner off the rubble sack, small enough so you can push a finger through.
I pushed the male part of spray nozzle with thread on through the cut hole from the inside of bag.
Exped bag.jpg
Exped bag 2.jpg
Then i screwed the the female part of spray nozzle on to it. Exped bag 3.jpg
Then i drilled a hole through centre of the cork, and started to sand the cork down, so it would fit snugly inside the nozzle.
Exped bag 4.jpg
Exped bag 5.jpg
Exped bag 6.jpg
And snugly in to the the inflate value on the exped mat.
Exped bag 7.jpg
So there you go folks, a nice and cheap way to blow up your exped mats. It works perfectly and better than blowing moist air in to them :)
Exped bag 8.jpg

I don't no what's happened to the photo's, they won't enlarge when you click on them, could one of the mod's sort it out please :)

Last edited:

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Thanks guys very helpful, now it all depends if Father Christmas thinks I've been a good boy, Big G your option all sounds a bit Heath Robinson for me if Im honest.

Fair do's mate, but if i can help folk out and save a few quid to. I'm all for it :)

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Big G, looks like I need to eat some humble pie, I honestly thought you were pulling my chain with a rubble bag etc. Very ingenous, well done and thanks for fishing out the photos..
Always happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Nice , any idea if this or the snozzle bag will work on the synmat7 its a pain in the **** to pump up.

To right my DIY snozzle bag will work mate :)

If i had the stuff on hand, i'd make another one and post it to you. They are so easy to make, i made a blob on mine, by cutting the plastic spray nozzle a tad short, as it would of fit the inflate valve perfectly. So i had to use a cork, i sanded it to fit inside the nozzle, and inflate valve on exped mat.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Big G, looks like I need to eat some humble pie, I honestly thought you were pulling my chain with a rubble bag etc. Very ingenous, well done and thanks for fishing out the photos..
Always happy to hold my hands up when I get it wrong.

No probs mate :) If this helps folk out, i'm happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE