Tramping, the gentle art

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just rediscovered a gem of a book I knew of years ago. Published in 1927, The Gentle Art of Tramping by Graham Stephen, is both an expression of the joys of the open road and a description of the world that vanished in depression and war. As an introduction try another book, one of snatches from books on walking from Roman to the times of the writer, Morris Marples, Shank's Pony. If that does not restore a desire to step out onto Tolkien's dangerous highway I do not know what will.

Stephen walks across Europe, sounds simple and it is but enjoyable.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I think he is generally called Stephen Graham (though I have seen a couple of his books with the name Graham Stephen Graham) but a search under the former name may surprise you as to how many 'travel' books he wrote, he certainly led an interesting life.

D.B.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Just rediscovered a gem of a book I knew of years ago. Published in 1927, The Gentle Art of Tramping by Graham Stephen, is both an expression of the joys of the open road and a description of the world that vanished in depression and war. As an introduction try another book, one of snatches from books on walking from Roman to the times of the writer, Morris Marples, Shank's Pony. If that does not restore a desire to step out onto Tolkien's dangerous highway I do not know what will.

Stephen walks across Europe, sounds simple and it is but enjoyable.

Thanks for the reccomendation of Morris Marples, Shank's Pony. Will give that a go.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
In similar vein is Always a little further by Alastair Borthwick, always makes me want to pack bag and just set out. Perhaps one day I will.
Actually, given the last few months ( younger brother had a massive stroke at 50, two thefts from our shed of bikes, the second after I reinforced it, my car driven into twice, hassle at work to name a few) it's as well I married and have a cat, or I probably would have. A bothy somewhere sounds very enticing right now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE