Boots and waterproofing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

Swmbo has just treated me to a new pair of boots as an early Xmas pressy due to my old ones holding in more water than they keep out.
They are not really bushcrafty being brown leather timberland Chelsea style boots, but are marketed as waterproof.

I can't find anything in the included literature to say they are gortex lined and my experience with leather boots is limited except for regular fashion type things as my bushcraft boots tend to be synthetic.

Anyhow my question is what is the best thing to treat "waterproof" leather boots with periodically to maintain their waterproofness.
Am I looking at simple polish, a good leather treatment Iike saddle balm etc... or something more technical like Nikwax?

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Leder Gris is good if a little pricey. Dubbin is also great for this purpose and cheaper than what is essentially the same as the Leder Gris ( wax, oil and tallow), but with waterproof membranes such as goretex and the likes it's best not to clog up the pores so I'd recommend nikwax or Grainger's , they're wax but it apparently restores breathability... 😵

If no membrane then dubbin is the way forward.
Been used since medieval times. 👍

Last edited:

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
Nikwax or graingers for me works a treat I've moved more to graingers these days since nikwax stopped doing tins of wax and moved to a cream I'm sure it works but doesn't inspire the same confidence that works in a good wax does.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Are they suede like normal timberland's? If so grangers do a spray to help waterproof them without flattening the leather;

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/granger-s-footwear-repel-E9724084?id_colour=180&channel_code=110&s2m_product_id=81725_180&utm_source=google&_$ja=tsid:45886&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvNrBBRDe3IOwzLn6_O4BEiQAmbK-Dp-TkqueNZtN_fE_9YPOkWWim-cXFkdAqO-DtafJOfwaAihE8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It'll be cheaper somewhere else i'm sure. If its a good full grain leather i would recommend the g wax also sold by grangers. £2 for a big tin in go outdoors.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE