Next tattoo suggestion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
Hi all,
I would like to ask you all for a bit of assistance. I'm going for a new tattoo soon and am hoping to get something of a bushcraft theme but really unsure what to get. All i can think of at the moment is a green man down the length of my forearm. Anyone have any other ideas/pictures please?

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
14105587323_e5ecf10b3d%201_zpscochdnim.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
How about this as an idea?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Hi all,
I would like to ask you all for a bit of assistance. I'm going for a new tattoo soon and am hoping to get something of a bushcraft theme but really unsure what to get. All i can think of at the moment is a green man down the length of my forearm. Anyone have any other ideas/pictures please?

Is it safe to assume that you have your cap badge on the back of on your calves already? 😄😄

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well if hunting is bushcraft, I want a tattoo of Elmer Fudd with a shorgun chasing a rabbit somewhere the sun don't shine.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What sort of tattoo were you thinking of, I have one friend with a had tapped tribal symbol on his thigh and used to work with a girl with an almost photo-real picture of a cougar on hers. Seems like that would make a difference on what you might have. You don't really want it to be too cryptic, I mean, a picture of a bow drill set or wooden spoon might be bushcraft, but no one else will get it, and its not really all that decorative. I would think you want something that stands as art on its own merit and doesn't need to be explained.

Another question would be whether you have any particular cultural preferences? Native American motifs are readily recognised and can be associated with living off the land, but if you look for something similar in Europe the links are a lot more tenuous.

A flint arrow head or Clovis style point?

Something with a canoe? In silhouette with some trees? There are a bunch of reference shots in Google, some better than others.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
What sort of area are you trying to cover? Both sides of the forearm? Centre of one side?

You could go for a mixture of old school tattoos and sort of bushcraft by having pinstriped flames :D I am biased as I love pinstriped flames.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Couldn't agree more. Too many people get tattoos with too little thought and regret it later. Not saying that's the case here or judging - I don't have an issue with tats, though I've only got the one myself. Some stunning artwork about these days. personally I'd wait until I found the thing that that was meaningful to me rather than the other way round of deciding it's time for a new tat and then having to come up with something.
Hope you find what you're looking for though - best of luck with that.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
As EdS said, if unsure then don't have one.

Me, I would never have a tattoo, but if I ever did consider one then it would have to have a very special meaning or significance, if the tattoo is not 'special' to you then it's unlikely that you will ever really enjoy it or wear it with pride.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Depends on your attitude to tattoos... while it may suit some to ensure that every tattoo has some deep meaning to it, there is the more simplistic view that its a bit of fun. Not everyone suffers from regret.

Personally I wouldn't have tattoos on show, ie not on my hands, neck, face etc... but thats my choice. Mine just represent 2 dates that aren't particularly significant other than its the time I had a tattoo done. No great meaning, nothing special and I seriously doubt I'll ever regret it. The only thing that stops me having flames or anything else is if you have a tattoo, you're volunteering for pain.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
when I first left school I worked in tattoo and piercing studio (as a receptionist!) and saw some of the regrets people come in to get covered up. I have plenty myself, both significant ones and aesthetic ones. but the way I approach it was recommended by one of the artists in the shop: get your design/idea drawn up, and the look at it every day for six months. If your sick of looking at after 6 months, its a safe bet you don't want it there for life. if you still think it looks great, then you know you really want it.

just my 2p.

although for unique and 'Bushcrafty' you could see is there anyone in Kerry or nearby who does traditional tattoos or dot work.

atb
Ste

p.s. Funny this should come up, following the above, I'm due to get a small flint arrow head on my wrist just above the shirt line and my son's name on my fore arm over Christmas!

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I'm covered neck to feet, but then my brother is a professional tattoo artist and I now do my own tattoos. Life is far too short for regrets, and these days there are laser removal places in every town/city so it's not as permamnent as it once was. But as above, if you are unsure, just wait a few months and if you still fancy it, find a reputable artist with a good reputation to do it properly and you should be fine :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I would say, as others have, like I do with any sort of shopping...

...If you dont know what you want then dont get it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE