Backpack position on back?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Curious how everyone sits their packs?

I remember at uni laughing at students with their packs ridiculously low on their backs, but with my isle royale I find it sits most comfortably a bit lower than most other packs:

eca09e6b65342973ec7e4d8eb17aaf60.jpg

Part of me feels it should sit a bit higher, but then the bag doesn't rest as well against my body. How about everyone else?

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
That just looks wrong to me - like having your trousers at half mast. But if it's comfortable, so what? Especially if the weight is low.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I think it depends on the pack. I find my HPG Umlindi sits low-ish, with the wider, heavier bit nestling into the small of my back. As a contrast, the Berghaus Munro sits quite high on my back, no matter what the load.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I think it depends on the pack. I find my HPG Umlindi sits low-ish, with the wider, heavier bit nestling into the small of my back. As a contrast, the Berghaus Munro sits quite high on my back, no matter what the load.

I find my Umlindi sits low too even when I have the belt on, but not uncomfortable. Where as my Tarahumara sits higher.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Depends what i'm doing, i like it tight and high against my back when i'm walking on anything but flat ground, but although i dont find it as comfortable, i dont want the bag swinging about while i'm scrambling up a scree slope or the edge of a pike, could get messy :confused:

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Yeah, I think part of it with the isle royale is the bag can be quite "fat" if filled. If you have the bag higher on your back it really does affect your centre of gravity a fair bit. As I tend to stoop and look at small things on the ground a lot, it's a lot more comfy and practical to have it lower where it won't slide about as much.

All in all I love the bag but do find that the design isn't the most practical at times!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The picture reminds me of the swedish x framed type packs. I got one from a charity shop in portugal minus the frame for 2 pound a decade or so ago. I always found that more comfortable sitting lower than expected. Again as said before if negotiating harder terrain I prefer high and tight to my back but just for bimbling around lower a loose works well.

It also depends on the bag, some suit lower some higher. At the moment I'm using a belt with some pouches and a day bag which sits higher than that.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I think the secret with the Isle Royale is to give it some structure - eg with a sleep mat and then to adjust the volume using the side cords and straps. That make a much more manageable pack and with the full size Isle Royal means you can use it much more like a frame pack with the waist belt taking some of the load. With frameless packs, careful packing is much more important and makes a big difference to the carry characteristics.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
As intimated above the ill-fitting Royal looks a complete mess - as do most old school canvas packs - unless fully loaded and carefully at that. The picture perfectly demonstrates the need to modify with a drawstring closure on the main compartment as at leat now single components, such as camera kit, will only rattle around rather than fall out!

This however is the price to be paid for the must-have retro Bushcrafter look that singularly spurns something approaching 100 years of packpack development and refinement.

I feel certain you would be better served by a modern and thoughtfully constructed 35ltr pack from any of the better known brands albeit I accept it won't go so well with your leather hat.

K

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have always liked the look of the frost river bags, they are expensive but I guess you won't wear it out in a hurry as they look very well made. They have never looked very comfy to me though. If it works for you and you like it then that is all that matters.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I've got a few Frost River (and other canvas) bags and they are beautifully made and bombproof. They can be very comfortable if properly packed (or a real pain if not), are great for throwing about etc as they'll take some abuse. I've also got modern style rucksacks too (to many). Both have a place and I use according to what I'm doing.
No doubt that modern packs are lighter, easier to pack (they are better if properly packed but you can for the most part get away with just shoving stuff in - you can't do that with a canvas pack). If I was walking long distance routes (not anymore I'm afraid) I'd go for a modern frame pack every time. For everyday rough use and abuse, canvas every time.
But of course there is a matter of personal preference here. I do love the look, feel, smell, quietness (if brass buckles are properly adjusted) of a canvas pack and a well packed pack is a beautiful thing. I don't particularly care if they are judged to be more 'bushcrafty' or have become retro popular (though that has made them easier to get in the uk). I don't care much about image but I do appreciate well made kit and yes, I admit it, it may be a little irrational but I do love my canvas packs.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have never liked to see youngsters going to school with back packs slung low down hitting the backs of their thighs, I think it is just a form of rebellion, so as not to do what the older generation say is better , even if it means being less comfortable.
One thing I have discovered is that a bum bag worn beneath your sack, acts like a shelf and for me is very comfortable,
and you can have the straps on your back pack slack or tight and it just sits comfortably with the weight taken on your
hips if you get the tension of the bum bag just right. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
As intimated above the ill-fitting Royal looks a complete mess - as do most old school canvas packs - unless fully loaded and carefully at that. The picture perfectly demonstrates the need to modify with a drawstring closure on the main compartment as at leat now single components, such as camera kit, will only rattle around rather than fall out!

This however is the price to be paid for the must-have retro Bushcrafter look that singularly spurns something approaching 100 years of packpack development and refinement.

I feel certain you would be better served by a modern and thoughtfully constructed 35ltr pack from any of the better known brands albeit I accept it won't go so well with your leather hat.

K

I'm not sure why I feel the need to justify myself, but I do.

I have a number of modern bags from the likes of Lowe alpine, Lowe pro, osprey and berghaus. Different styles from day packs to 95L monstrosities.

Yes for the most part they serve their functions very well. They're lighter and more comfy in general than my canvas pack. The issue though is that I don't find them durable nor very multi-purpose.

I have a varied lifestyle, some days I'm fieldworking in gorse, other days walking the dog in town. I've made multiple overseas trips also. It felt like I had a bag for every situation, but not one that was general purpose enough to cover them all at a pinch.

When going overseas I'd be stuck with my camera bag as carry on, leaving little room for other stuff. With the canvas it's very versatile and expandable with the straps, so that I managed to take all my camera kit, a laptop, chargers, spare clothes and a coat and a book on my last few flights in the backpack. At the other end I can empty the bag, cinch it down and use it for other things more easily than my camera bags.

Similarly the modern hiking bags I find can be restrictive in their shape for what you can store.

And finally, it's a canvas hat, not leather ;)

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I have never liked to see youngsters going to school with back packs slung low down hitting the backs of their thighs, I think it is just a form of rebellion, so as not to do what the older generation say is better , even if it means being less comfortable.
One thing I have discovered is that a bum bag worn beneath your sack, acts like a shelf and for me is very comfortable,
and you can have the straps on your back pack slack or tight and it just sits comfortably with the weight taken on your
hips if you get the tension of the bum bag just right. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

:lmao:

When i was at school it was unforgivable to have both straps on; just before i left the opposite was true, it alternates regularly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE