decent scope mounts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
I was given a scope for my air rifle, nothing fancy but it's only a plinker so it doesn't matter.

Whist the scope is fine in terms of magnification, it doesn't feel very securely attached to the rifle. I'm sure that after a bit of normal handling, it's going to get shifted off of zero (if that's the correct way to express it).

Can one buy decent mounts, and if so, can anyone suggest any? Like an idiot, I didn;t note the diameter of the scope.

Ta!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two things:
1. Is your rifle drilled & tapped for scope ring screws? Or, are there parallel grooves for a "rail" mount?
2. You need the scope diameter to get proper ring size.

In the meantime, get into the online catalog from Brownell's. They're a major source for gunsmithing.
Take a look at what's available.
I don't know if you can order from them but if they don't stock it, it might not exist.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You should be able to google the name of the scope and find out it's size. I tend to go for a scope mount made by the scope manufacturer if possible, and with my cheap Hawke scopes find the Hawke mounts ideal. I'm curious to know what's wrong with your current mounts, do you have a photo?

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
Sports match, either one piece or two,piece, ideally wit a lug to stop movement if the rifle is a springer. If the scope is 34 mm I have an accuracy international mount that will work. Avoid cheap mounts as they are invariably made of cheese.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Couldn't agree more sportsmatch are the way to go. Cheap enough to fit any pocket and good quality. If you want to spend a bit more I can recommend Kahles but to be honest they're overkill for an airgun. It'll more than likely be a 25mm tube to be honest most airgun optics tend to be

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Thanks all for the replies.

Mine's a Gamo CF20, with the parallel grooves to mount the scope.

The tube is 25mm dia.

Re the existing ones - even when fully tightened, the scope doesn;t feel really secure. I'm fairly sure that pulling it in and out of a gunslip a few times would be enough to shift the scope, which would make it pointless.

Thanks again, I'll have a look at some of your suggestions. Cheers!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sportsmatch or BKL.... you won't go wrong with either...

The rifle on the other hand.... likely won't be great anyway. You get what you pay for!

Cheap guns are cheap guns. HW99s (.22)is where it's at for a budget rifle.

Scope will be either 25mm or 30mm tube diameter. (most are 25)

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
JSRamsbottom or uttings are usually fairly reasonable too. Its right though you do want a good firm grip, just don't overtighten it because it's possible to crush the scope tube with mounts... Don't ask how I know that :')

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Another one for Sportsmatch, they are a bit more expensive than most but worth every penny. I dont know why some people spend big money on a scope and rifle set up then suddenly become tight fisted when it comes to mounts, considering the job they do.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Thanks all - Xmas list duly amended.

Re the rifle quality - it's fine for what I ask of it. It'll consistently group shots (with the open sights), and will entirely embed the pellets in the target backstop I made. Any more rifle would be a waste for what I need it for.

Thanks again

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks all - Xmas list duly amended.

Re the rifle quality - it's fine for what I ask of it. It'll consistently group shots (with the open sights), and will entirely embed the pellets in the target backstop I made. Any more rifle would be a waste for what I need it for.

Thanks again

If you ever do fancy an upgrade on a budget Welsh Willy does a fantastic uprate kit for the CF20 if memory serves with a titan mainspring and delrin piston heads. I had a play with one about a year ago as I remember it was a capable springer. Keep at it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE