Birch bark canoe film

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - we used to show that as an "inspirational" training vid when training up canoe leaders in France...
it is a joy of a film!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks grip, always a pleasure to see that again. The background, the scenery, is many summers of memories for me.

Our common birch species, Betula papyrifera, the Paper Birch, is really nice to work with. Not the same as your birch.
The thwarts are fresh/green birch wood, carved with a typical Mocotaugan crooked knife (dry seasoned wood is nearly impossible to shape, it's hardened up so much.)

Found an ad somewhere in the last couple of years, a birch bark canoe, ready for the water, is about $6,000.00 CDN.

His blue boat with the outboard is a Chestnut V-stern Freighter canoe. Absolute Canadian classic, a real pleasure to travel in or work from (only 5 months for me).
I've learned that they are not made any more and the restoration of a wreck is very costly. I used a 21', measured at the waterline, maybe 23' total, holds a dead moose, too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE