Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
yeah good idea, I've been here about 5 years and still don't know exactly where those woods are!

the fake fire, it's silly, but from a distance it does pass for a smokeless firel! The most annoying thing about the event is there was a lady taking loads of photos I'd basically used a frame tent frame to hang up my parachute some camo net hammock etc so when you went under it looked quite "junglely" had my displays out all sorts, and they wouldn't let anyone seethe photos(including myself) because of security risk even though the whole group had signed letters to say photos were fine, so sad thing is I'd love to offer the "indoor campsite" to other organisations but i can't remember how it was set up and I have no photos of the event apart from 2 of me teaching which show no details at all as you can see, infact you can't really even tell what I'm teaching, very annoying :(
CAePa1qWoAA5VOa.jpg

I really need to change my Avatar!

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Oh no, best give up my licence now, just remember, keep death off the roads, drive on the pavement!!!!!!! Congratulations, now the expense starts.:drive:

By the way everyone, I had about 2 carrier bags of old t-shirts that were no good for anything not even a clothes bank.

I making a silly amount of char cloth in my woodburner on the boat, so if anyone wants some, let me know.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Ceryni.
I had to make a whole load of charcloth from a bed sheet for punters, on my last BBQ! So I now have plenty thanks!

BTW if any of you are short of Natural tinders (fungi, seed heads, Rose bay-willow herb I have loads stored that I could bring to a meet-up :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I was just looking at that map, tring to figure out if theres an area I know of halfway between us, but theres not, though...There are a few areas I do know of:

North east of Downham Market the back of the village of Marham, (on Hoggs drove I think) theres a off road carpark i think something to do with Anglian water, and a couple of walks lead into decent woodland and farmland.

Just off the the main road A1122 near the A47 (runway end) of RAF Marham there are some woods that run along the main road with a car park, but I'm led to believe it might be a "meeting place" after dark so not somewhere I'd like to hang around late into the day, but the woods are huge and it's easy to dissapear into them.

to the North East of Kingslynn is Roydon common, nature reserve not a camping place and dogs must be ona lead as there are loose wild horses but still nice for a bimble.

North of that is Sandringham again not a camping place but nice for a bimble, because it's a royal house undoubtably plain clothes police/security probably CCCTV will be around so not suitable for camping, but a lovely place to walk.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've just booked. £10 refundable off new book. 1 hour talk followed by book signing
[h=1]Ray Mears in Ely[/h][h=3]Thursday 24th November[/h]

• Venue The Octagon, Ely Cathedral, CB7 4DL
  • Doors open 6.45pm
  • Start time 7.30pm

Dear Kev,
Thank you for your email. Ray Mears is doing an event with us in the Cathedral (under the Octagon!) on 24th November. The tickets are sold by us and the event is published on our website here. He will be talking for an hour, and then he will be signing copies of the book afterwards. You can buy tickets via the website link above.
I do hope this helps. Do please give us a shout if you have any more questions.
Best wishes,
Rebecca

Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely
9 High Street
Ely
Cambridgeshire
CB7 4LJ
Telephone: (01353) 645005
Visit our website | Twitter | Facebook

See you there! Just booked also.

I'm wondering if I bring my ancient dog eared copy of rays survival handbook he might sign it hahaha. Had it since I was small.

He did sign it! He was actually very friendly despite the chore of signing books, and not in any way dismissive of people, despite also most of the people there very obviously not being outdoors types.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
OMG!!!!!!!! Tom it's now an absolutely rare book, a book worth more than a wood lore knife!

No good on you, a book well worth keeping and something to pass on,

OMG!!!!!!!! Tom it's now an absolutely rare book, a book worth more than a wood lore knife!

No good on you, a book well worth keeping and something to pass on,
It was already special to me as my dad gave it to me 15 years ago as an Xmas present when I first got into bushcraft. I watched all of his programmes and to finally meet the man was a surprising turn of events!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE