hammock with silver lining

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I want to make myself a new hammock, and i was wondering if anyone had ever put reflective materials in them (like silver emergency heat blankets)

I usually carry a foam mat to lie on, but its a bulky thing to carry around, so i'm thinking of using 2 layers of canvas (one heavy duty, top one light), with a silver lining inbetween

:..but i have no idea how those silver blankets might stand up to being rolled up repeatedly and slept on (by a wriggly sleeper lol), replacing it every year wouldnt be a big deal, although i'd rather not (for environmental reasons)

Any thoughts?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Not exactly the same but I have used cheap spray on adhesive to stick cheap emergency silver foil blankets to cheap builders tarps....all from the £ shop and have been very pleasantly surprised how well they have lasted and how effective they have been. How well one would work sandwiched inside a hammock I have no idea but for a total of £3 it's must be worth a try.

D.B.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ive used a windscreen frost protector as insulation in my hammock before. It was fairly warm for the weight but condensation was a real issue. It would be the same for space blankets I would think.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I've made a few reflective underquilt protectors like that but not the hammock body itself. I can't say I felt much difference hung as an UQP, hard to determine especially given that they were either low breathability or non breathable so needed lots of venting to avoid condensation. They worked brilliantly if used a fire heat reflector/cooking tarp with a sort of secondary purpose of reflecting body heat as an UQP.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Found some reflective material, going to make myself a down stuffed under quilt and a thin reflective mat, i might try a silver emergency blanket aswell but wont sew it into the lining

Decided on 4oz ripstop nylon instead of canvas, will use a fire retarding spray.. not a fan of plastic really, but found a good deal and thought its worth a shot

Might post a build diary up if anyones interested, my old hammock was a simple (traditional) straight one, but this one will include asymmetric ties and will be extra long

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Not sure how well that work without an airspace. You want to lie directly on it?

Also, you're going to get a lot of condensation.

I want to make myself a new hammock, and i was wondering if anyone had ever put reflective materials in them (like silver emergency heat blankets)

I usually carry a foam mat to lie on, but its a bulky thing to carry around, so i'm thinking of using 2 layers of canvas (one heavy duty, top one light), with a silver lining inbetween

:..but i have no idea how those silver blankets might stand up to being rolled up repeatedly and slept on (by a wriggly sleeper lol), replacing it every year wouldnt be a big deal, although i'd rather not (for environmental reasons)

Any thoughts?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It would still be tight against you though wouldn't it?

You say your ccf is bulky...how about a -5*c down underquilt that packs to the size of a grapefruit?. a little bit Spendy at £165 but deffo the way to go for packsize, weight, and comfort

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
The sleeping bag creates an insulating layer of air, so you arent pressed against it (even though its squashed)

165 for the sake of saving a little room is defintly not my idea of a good solution lol besides this is all about DIY

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
The squashed insulation loses almost all it's insulative value though. That's the reason you need a groundpad ;).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've tried putting a silver foil blanket in a hammock, under a layer of insulation. I didn't get a condensation problem, but it was like sleeping in a crisp packet at the slightest movement.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
Silver "Thermal blankets (sheets)" are very overrated! In their adverts, they claim to reflect x% of the body's heat, but they only reflect radiant heat and the body gives off very little of that! The RAF Mountain Rescue did a test of these things many years ago and found that an ordinary plastics bivvy bag was more efficient than a reflective sheet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE