Fresh water mussel find!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....The vid added below shows Bill Abernethy pearl fishing, while the setting and background music is romantic Abernethy is the guy who found the very rare Little Willie pearl, the publicity of which probably speeded up the decline of the freshwater pearl mussel by encouraging folks who put financial reward above anything else, it's sadly the same thing that happens to many rare things, however those who buy the pearls and those who like to display their wealth by decorating themseleves with pearls are equally responsible for the decline of the freshwater pearl mussel as the guy who fishes for them.

[video=youtube;cBr4XR6uoPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBr4XR6uoPY[/video]

Most pearls on the market now-a-days are cultered pearls (farmed) rather than wild. However from what I read in the FWS article I linked, the Asial pearl farmers are using North American wild mussels as a source for shell fragments to seed their mussels. :(

....and if you look at fresh water mussels in Europe and N. America as a whole, then they're all pretty much under threat.
Slow maturity leaves them vulnerable, but awareness is a very good thing.

Not particularly good eating I was told :dunno:
I really don't mind being allergic to fish :rolleyes:

M

Apparently their means of reproduction also makes them vulnerable. They lure fish near enough to expel the larvae onto the fish's gills and fins where they remain until they are mature enough to drop to the water's bottom. Anything that interferes with the host fish species (such as overfishing or dams impeding fish migrations) has a knock on effect on the mussels as well.

Informative post Joonsy, thanks.

My son found some fresh water peal mussels at a local river a couple of years back, sadly all opened. We did contact the local wildlife bobby who was thankful for the info. SNH were also informed. It seems there are a few regular scrotes who travel about and are known to the authorities. Problem is catching them at it, apparently sometimes they will involve the whole family, kids frolicking in the water etc; normal family fun so no one spots what they're really up to!

I suspect those families might not be doing anything out of greed. The majority of the public probably have no idea of the environmental issues (face it, mussels aren't a high publicity creature) They're probably just thinking how cool it is to be able to dig them up. I confess I collected the shells when I was a young to mid teenager. We just didn't know any better and they seemed so plentiful then.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As has been said, these big guys are Swan Mussels, and are pretty common. The culinary verdict on them seems to be "not worth the trouble unless you are starving".

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was asked to leave a river that I standing in (with dry feet btw) due to the local mussel population.
A great deal of money is being spent trying restore the habitat of the mussels in this river with a certain amount of failure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
brancho = get right back in there if there's habitat restoration that you can help with.
Some day, some supper, you might reap some reward.
We have those things here.
The results are so sluggish that I can hope only that my grandchildren may benefit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE