Keela Munro vs Paramo Alta III jacket - your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joycey

Sep 26, 2016
SE London
I'm in the market for a new waterproof shell and think I've narrowed it down to these two. If you've got one (or both!) I'd appreciate your views on them. I'm a fairly warm bloke so have often been put off Paramo, but the breathability of it appeals to me. I've got a Ridgeline smock which i'm unimpressed with as I'm soaked in my own sweat after 10 minutes... (and that's even without exerting myself!).

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just bought a Keela Munro jacket myself, and salopettes. In fact it only arrived yesterday, and Ive just been reading about their dual protection system on the card which came with it. I hope it works as well as they claim.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got a monro and am quite impressed with it. Its fairly warm being a big thick coat but quite breathable and the pit zips are big enough to be useful.
Good pockets and a fantastic hood. Mines big on me to get some airflow going

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
I've had a Munro in the past and have the Alta 2 and most other paramo jackets because I like them lol, the Munro is good very tough and very durable but didn't breathe well for me (I run hot too) plus like other goretex jackets it rustled like a crisp bag ;) the paramos I find initially a bit warmer but breathes so much better for me that it becomes a non issue I just find myself wearing a layer less most of the year than I used to with a typical shell jacket. A base layer and one of my paramos is normally enough for most times of year and the venting options work well too when it's warmer, I still sweat they're not magic but I don't find myself clammy or wet like I used to. Paramo for me every time no question

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
As above, love Paramo, not owned a Munro. My Alta is almost always wornover just a base layer, even in the dpths of winter, when moving its fine, but I do tend to run warm. I have a couple of synthetic duvet jackets which fit over it, so carry one for stops, colder weather, emergency etc. This has worked very well for me over a number of winters.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I only have an alta 2, but its a very nice jacket compared to other goretex shells I've got. More breathable and 'softer' in a comfortable way. You need to keep on top of the care however and now & then water has found a way through, normally after a few weeks of use when the proofing wears down. I've never had a goretex jacket leak on me but most of them don't come with a lifetime warranty like the alta does. The alta is excellent pared with a rab vapor rise smock in the winter.

Tonyuk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm a Paramo fan. I've had one for 9 years. It is worn, or carried in my EDC bag daily. I have never had a Goretex or other system jacket that has lasted so long. My Paramo get washed and re-proofed a couple of times a year. Yes, it is a bit warm, but I see this as an advantage as I don't have to carry an extra layer.
They seem expensive, but when the cost is averaged out over the years I reckon they are very good value for money. I also like buying from firms that have good ethics.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
He's probably referring to the way Paramo treat their workforce:

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/ourethics/

K
Yes I was. Thank you for supplying the link.

I wouldn't like to imply that Paramo are the only firm with a responsible attitude to their workers; no doubt members could come up with other examples. Too often what seems cheap has been paid for by someone else's exploitation.

I no longer buy fleece garments and avoid synthetics whenever there is a viable alternative. My wife knits me pure wool sweaters, but has pointed out that real wool has been supplanted by synthetics even for home knitting. Fortunately we have a lovely shop in Oxford as a local supplier.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Had a Munro for a number of years now (6+). It works very well for me - its certainly a warm jacket and I find the breathability ok, on par with (possibly slightly better than) other goretex/breathable jackets I've had.
I'm actually on my second.........after about 3 years of regular use the original developed a leak on a sleeve (I'm careful with kit, so was surprised). I contacted Keela, they asked me to send it back for investigation. Did so, about 10 days later they sent me a new replacement jacket with a letter of apology and explanation (fault in the fabric). I was impressed with their customer service.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
ive worked in the munro jacket for years i find them to hot for most of the year. they do stand up to harsh treatment very well, even wearing it whilst working with big wood chippers didnt do any real damage. my first one was covered in glue and the fabric had warn threw over the poppers but was still very water proof. i would recommend them but only for the worst of are weather.

Joycey

Sep 26, 2016
SE London
Guys, thanks for the feedback and insights to both jackets. Interesting to read that the keela is such a warm jacket too, as I'm after something that's suitable for more year round use. As I said I 'run hot' and am fed up with getting wet in my own sweat in my Ridgeline. It sounds to me that keela and ridgeline work on similar waterproofing and breathability principles (wicking inner, laminated outer etc - albeit different specs). I think it might be time for me to take the plunge with a paramo now - just need to get the right one! Waterproof but not too warm. Hmmm choices choices...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Regarding Paramo, I have rather more of their stuff than I probably need, been a fan since I bought their Alta (I) about 15 years ago. Yes I do find it warm but I like the way you can repair it yourself, its breathability, the lack of crisp-packet noise and its pack-ability compared to hardshells. The hood design and function is fantastic.

Something I have noticed though, for me most of the Paramo tops have a rather strange cut and no longer fit me properly. I am not a big chap, 5'8" 150lb yet find that most Paramo "medium" cuts too high under my arms and pulls tight across my back if I stretch arms forward. Fits perfectly otherwise. If I go to their "large" its like wearing a tent and is clearly too big for me. Its not the size that is a problem, it is the design and cut. Meant for bean pole builds with short arms perhaps? The Alta I have is medium and fits me perfectly. The Velez smocks also fit me correctly, but I had to have their Pull-on fleece altered (large and I had it taken in) and the Fuera smock needed diamond shape inserts added under the arms so that I didn't have to fight to put it on.

So, try before you buy, or buy from somewhere that you can return. There is a Paramo store in Covent Garden that may be worth look in on.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Guys, thanks for the feedback and insights to both jackets. Interesting to read that the keela is such a warm jacket too, as I'm after something that's suitable for more year round use. As I said I 'run hot' and am fed up with getting wet in my own sweat in my Ridgeline. It sounds to me that keela and ridgeline work on similar waterproofing and breathability principles (wicking inner, laminated outer etc - albeit different specs). I think it might be time for me to take the plunge with a paramo now - just need to get the right one! Waterproof but not too warm. Hmmm choices choices...

If you don't want to be warm you'll be better off with a cheap single layer goretex shell jacket. Use it only when it actually rains and at other times a soft shell type jacket can be the outer layer, keeping the wind off. I run hot and wouldn't like to walk too far with even the alta on, so i use a windtop if i need it then the paramo on top if it rains down. Insulation layer at the top of the pack for stops.

Tonyuk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The newish Paramo Bento jacket might be worth a look. I wanted one, it ticked all the boxes I want, but it has the cut that doesn't fit me.

Joycey

Sep 26, 2016
SE London
Nice one Chris, cheers. Sounds like we're similar builds (I'm a bit heavier), but I'm a 44" chest so normally get a large, but don't want to look like a kid wearing his dad's clothes! It's funny now you mention it but I popped in to that same store you mentioned probably 10 years ago and think one of the things that put me off back then was the cut of the garments (and their slightly fuddy duddy style)... I've had enough smocks now to realise that I prefer jackets to overhead styles and am too old to worry about the latter! Noise and packability has never really bothered me, rather breathability is the key factor here and how they deal with a sweaty bloke! Back to the shop it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE