Safety Shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know there's a thread about safety boots but in some cases shoes are needed. Unfortunately I've got to keep semi-presentable for customers but still need safety rated footwear. After a few years of wearing boots I'm able to get shoes (got agreement for higher spend).

So does anyone wear presentable safety shoes at work? What would you recommend? I've been told I can order them then get refunded whatever they cost. No limit was.mentioned but I don't believe them so still looking at reasonably priced footwear.

Use is industrial sites, offices and also site visits/visits to customers. My current footwear are plain ankle boots with few seams. The shoes ideally be similar, I don't like brochures or Oxford shoes with the seams across the toes.

I like Dr Martens Keadby shoes but possibly a bit expensive.

Size 9 with a narrow heel / foot but high arch, kind of narrow and low volume compared to most safety boots. I usually have to pad them out with two inner soles. Comfort essential.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unfortunately the safety shoes I've seen would probably be less professional than boots as what I've seen have been trainer styles.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Google 'Dickies safety shoes' & 'air-wear safety shoes'. Both searches return some 'sensible' shoe styles and I've had good quality safety footwear, abeit boots, from both manufacturers.

Trotsky

Personally I always swear by Grafters after going through many pairs of safety footwear in the last 15 years. I found Docs weren't that comfortable and didn't last, the Dickies I was most recently given feel like they're made of concrete and tried to cripple me. I'm not sure what Grafters range of shoes is like but, the prices online are fair and the boots I've had from them lasted years with a little care.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I bought some Site boots from Screwfix for general wear. V Heavy, very nice leather. Looked fine.

Unfortunately the heel cups disintegrated within months and the stitching then wore through from the inside within 8 months. Not heavy wear, just walking a couple of miles a day in a city. So don't get Site boots.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The steelies in sports direct are comfy and cheap. The fit is more like a proper shoe also rather than the moon boots most brands sell, made on the huge size to fit everyone poorly.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-kansas-mens-safety-shoes-181040?colcode=18104003

The boot version of them have lasted longer than my last pair of Dewalt boots, better fitting and more comfy too.

Made sure to try on through to make sure, Sports direct shops are in most places thankfully.

Tonyuk

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
I've been told I can order them then get refunded whatever they cost. No limit was.mentioned but I don't believe them so still looking at reasonably priced footwear.

Tell them you want to see the paperwork stating employees will be refunded for any work-related attire they purchase.

It likely won't exist, as the responsibility of the order normally isn't that of the employee.

But if it is as they say, they'll be able to provide you with the necessaries, or point you to the relevant contract section.

I'm not saying you should get paranoid on your work, but it's within your right to see the paperwork.

Until such time, I wouldn't buy any shoes.

There's also potential insurance issues i.e. if you were to have a fall, your workplace may say your footwear was 'inadequate'. But if they provide/approve the footwear, this can't be the case.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....There's also potential insurance issues i.e. if you were to have a fall, your workplace may say your footwear was 'inadequate'. But if they provide/approve the footwear, this can't be the case.

Doesn't your H&S have a set of published standards and a system to certify PPE?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE