Rucksack Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
Hi,

I have enough bags but there is always a situation that requires a new bag. And here is the situation.

Over the past few years I have done several walking expeditions ranging from overnights to week long, all with different size and weight rucksacks. And from all those I have learnt the benefits of light kit. In preparation for my next walking expedition I am looking for a lightweight rucksack with frame at around the 60-80litres capacity. I want one that doesnt require me to take out a second mortgage on my house as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Other than hiring someone to carry my kit for me.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Karrimor SF 60-100 ltr is my big bag of choice.
Built like a tank but the fully loaded weight, just disappears on your back.
Super comfortable

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
At the budget end of the scale there's always some vintage external frame packs like this tastefully coloured Cobmaster on Ebay.
Weight wise they tend to be lighter than modern packs, the downside is the back/strap style padding and lack of decent hip belt.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I can recommend Osprey packs. They aren't ultralight or anything, but they transfer weight very well, have good suspension systems and can handle a bit heavier loads too (which is an issue with many of the ultralight packs). The Exos looks like a good choice for you.

With a real frame, dunno, that kinda defeats the point of a lightweight bag. Might i ask what you need that kinda capacity for? 60L-80L is a huge amount, if you're using lighter weight kit. Maybe you'd be better off first looking into a lighter tent/sleeping bag, because those usually give the biggest weight loss and bulk loss which leads to the possibility of a smaller lighter pack etc. They are a bit more expensive though. But using a lightweight pack with heavy load, wouldn't be something i suggest, since it'll carry the weight a lot worse.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Funny I was just about to recommend the Exos, lightest and by far the best bag I've ever owned. Works well for day trips or a few days away quite comfortably. There is a thin frame to keep it off of your back. There is a review in the front section I wrote a few years ago.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I like what i see of the osprey exos. My next step is try one on in real life before final decision.

But this does mean that I am going to have to have a clean out and try to flog some of my kit.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I can recommend Osprey packs. They aren't ultralight or anything, but they transfer weight very well, have good suspension systems and can handle a bit heavier loads too (which is an issue with many of the ultralight packs). The Exos looks like a good choice for you.

With a real frame, dunno, that kinda defeats the point of a lightweight bag. Might i ask what you need that kinda capacity for? 60L-80L is a huge amount, if you're using lighter weight kit. Maybe you'd be better off first looking into a lighter tent/sleeping bag, because those usually give the biggest weight loss and bulk loss which leads to the possibility of a smaller lighter pack etc. They are a bit more expensive though. But using a lightweight pack with heavy load, wouldn't be something i suggest, since it'll carry the weight a lot worse.

^ This!
I've used an Exos 48 this year and I've been massively impressed with it. Comfort is brilliant, it swallows kit and the external pockets are well thought out and handy.
I wouldn't go bigger than 48 litres though if you're going lightweight as you'll only fill it.
I took mine on the West Highland way this summer and it easily fit all camping kit including a tent and six days food. All in, kit weight was 15kg and it handled it perfectly.

Oct 24, 2011
south east
Karrimor SF 60-100 ltr is my big bag of choice.
Built like a tank but the fully loaded weight, just disappears on your back.
Super comfortable

plus one ... though when the plc side pouches are added the main compartment won't fully expand to 100 L

brilliant comfortable load carrier but too easy to overload it ... it is far more capable than I am !!!

Cheers Whistle

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I've been very impressed with my Exped 60. I wanted something lightweight with good capacity that was also comfortable and relatively sturdy. It is a very comfortable rucksack and I don't know how they make it so light in view of how well it shifts the weight off my shoulders. Over the summer I've been using it as a day sack as well, with the compression straps pulled in to reduce the volume a bit, it is so light and comfortable that there is no advantage in using my smaller purpose designed day sacks.

http://www.exped.com/uk-ireland/en/product-category/backpacks/lightning-60-black

One thing I noticed was that, depending on your shape and height, the woman's version might fit better than the man's version - I'm maybe 5'8" and have the back length set almost as short as it can go for the best fit on the male version. Either I have a short back (not been a problem with other rucksacks) or the Exped is designed to fit people up to 17 feet tall.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just seen this after another member commented on a thread that the founder of GoLite has now created Mytrailco. If this is similar to the original GoLite Jam it's a really good back. I think I still prefer the Osprey Exos but I've got my old Jam knocking around somewhere and still dust it off from time to time.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
Thanks for all your responses. I have taken receipt of a Osprey Exos 48. First impressions are good, cant wait to take it out for a trial.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE