Norrona Recon Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The question, aimed at those who have experience of these waterproofs, is: are they worth it? If not, what are the good, viable alternatives? I'm not interested in a smock; it's a jacket I'm after...

Many thanks for any input!

Richard

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A little bit of research has pushed me towards the Keela Munro, instead. At less than half the price of the Norrona, it offers much, much better value and is British, too.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Munro's durability, comfort in use, sizing, fabric... anything that yields the truth beyond the marketing hype?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
A few years ago we (my MRT) got a special offer on Keela gear so quite a few of my colleagues bought some of their products. The general consensus after use was that their products were fit for the job and well made, negative comments were that the fabrics were quite heavy and some of the designs weren't so ergonomic as other brands.
I think for the cost you'll get a well made bombproof garment but don't expect Patagonia or arcteryx styling. I'm guessing a lot of MRTs use Keela as the external shell gets hammered so it's a cost effective option.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 on Keela for MRT use; they are pretty bombproof for use. I still have a Munro in good condition from callouts. In fact I bought a second one from this forum in green and black for casual use at home I was so impressed.
As stated, for price and durability(although heavier than an all singing alpine jacket from other brands) and British made, I would definitely recommend.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Aha! I seem to have hit a vein here. It sounds to me as though the Keela gets the thumbs up. To be honest, I've never been particularly turned on by lightweight, form-fitting gear - it's just too flimsy and restrictive. I like the sound of the ventilation/'breathability' of the Munro: it sounds as though it works and continues working, unlike so many of the other laminates, like eVent and Goretex.

Does the system work well when one is working hard or does it disappoint, like so many others?

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
Keela Munro is a superb jacket especially considering the price personally I only wear paramo these days as they don't rustle and I find they breathe better than any of the goretex/event fabrics for me but everyone's different in that regard with some finding paramo too warm.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Jacket a bit short in the body as its designed for use with salopette use, the munro i mean, it is superb though. I have an older keela jacket in horrible red and green but wont part with it as its a heavy ripstop outer, and breathes very well and never leaks. Great hoods as well which is a rare thing on a jacket of this type.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My Keela Munro arrived the other day - good, prompt service. With it came a discount voucher for my next purchase, a lightweight fleece and a Keela-made buff-type thing. The package represented extremely good value, given the free extras received and the out-and-out quality of the jacket itself.

Now, I need some grotty weather so I can put it through its paces...

Oct 28, 2016
Lancashire
Hi guys,
I'm currently looking to update my Norroa waterproof. After a long debate and thought, I have decided go for a Norrona recon mark 1 or 2. Does anyone know of anywhere I could purchase one from. I know this is a old model now. Or If anyone has one to sell i would be interested.
Thanks very much
Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE