Wood for Kuksa - source?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Hi All,

Been enjoying whittling these past few months and done a bit of axe carving throughout the summer but I really fancy having a go at a Kuksa.
The problem I have is that I know 3 tree surgeons who have all promised me they'll provide me with some nice bits of wood for carving but it seems all 3 of them have failed to come up with the goods.

Is there perhaps a source online that one could buy a decent burl or even a length of Birch or something to make a Kuksa from?

Many thanks in advance!

Alex

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You've got winter fast approaching so keep a look out for wind blown trees or branches.

If you find one blocking a path do a bit of civic duty and clear it away. Your reward is a bit of the timber :)

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
if in a rural area, ask to landowners for spare wood. Very often you can obtain beautiful logs for a reasonable price

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
See if you can find even a piece of an untreated wooden fence post.
If it's conifer wood (spruce/pine), don't take anything with less than 15 growth rings per inch = too punky & easily split when carving.
25-40 rings/inch is really nice. I'm buying western red cedar fence posts, very happy with the wood quality.

The fence posts are main stem wood, not branches.
In branches, there are wood anatomy changes which can make the carving process a real chore (Reaction Wood).

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Not that it helps your predicament but I have had some really good results from tree surgeons, your best bet is to catch one when they are actually on the job as they are usually more than happy for you to take any larger pieces as they won't fit in their chipper and they have to dispose of them.
More generally although a burl is the ideal for a kuksa almost any suitable carving wood will work, best way it to split a log/branch in half and make sure you remove the pith to prevent splitting. I have made several kuksa's in this manner and they have turned out pretty well.
As Robson says even processed timber will work at a pinch though personally I would rather wait for some greenwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Hi All,

Been enjoying whittling these past few months and done a bit of axe carving throughout the summer but I really fancy having a go at a Kuksa.
The problem I have is that I know 3 tree surgeons who have all promised me they'll provide me with some nice bits of wood for carving but it seems all 3 of them have failed to come up with the goods.

Is there perhaps a source online that one could buy a decent burl or even a length of Birch or something to make a Kuksa from?

Many thanks in advance!

Alex

mate i have some wood here,i hold a spoon carving club on the second saturday of the month at my gaff ,limited camping available ,
FIELD1.JPG
let me know if your up for it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You can find wood with curved grain quite easily walking in UK. check the bases of various bushes like Hazel, Damson and so on.
Straight grained wood splits easily after you use the Kåsa when it dries.

In worst case the piece between the branch and trunk works too.
Apple, pear, other fruit trees.

You can do an bone inlay on top of the handle from well boiled beef bone. Large rib for example.

Tell your wife/gf to make a real slow cooked Bone Broth ( fashion today) and harvest the bones.

Please, do not make the handle with a hole like a cup, those are only done on kåsas for tourists!

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Please, do not make the handle with a hole like a cup, those are only done on kåsas for tourists!

Is that so? I don't care:

kuksa_03.jpg

Made from dry pine, works like anything.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Whereabouts on the South Coast are you? Got a load of horse chestnut you are welcome to pick through - plenty of burly bits in there. Got some other woods too in the logpile, cherry, apple etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE