Non-VW van options for conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I saw a youtube video of some American woman using a Toyota Previa as a long-term liveaboard. She actually slept in a hammock, initially hung from the rear door to the opposing front door, using a knot shut in the doors. Freed up a lot of space when it was taken down (she removed all but the front seats)

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Do you have any photographs of it at different stages that you could share? There's quite a few projects documented online but I'm interested in actually being able to see what someone has done and ask questions directly. No problem if you don't want to, but I.thought I'd ask. I'm sure you've learnt a lot on the journey of your conversion project. I reckon you've picked up a few tricks and tips along the way.

I'm very much a novice at fitting out vans, having previously owned a coachbuilt motorhome. I have not done a great deal yet. I have fitted the floor, 4 windows and built the bed platform.

If you want to see some pictures, have a look at the following;

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...home/56638-renault-master-pvc.html?highlight=

(I hope a link to another (none Bushcraft) forum is allowed, otherwise mods please delete).

The work carries on tomorrow!

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Oops!

Sorry, I'll have a go at posting some on here tonight.

Here goes!

First the blank canvas;

Glued in (Stixall), some 25mm roofing battens;

Insulation laid on floor;

Floor template took some planning;

But turned out ok, floor was 12mm WBP Plywood, I varnished all of the edges;

Next job was to cut holes in the van for the Seitz windows, I was quite nervous about this;

I used 18mm battens for the internal window frames.

Windows installed;

Made up a frame for the transverse double bed at the rear, which will also form a large 'garage' underneath. The bed will measure 4ft 3ins x 6ft 2ins;

Today, I took out the windows again in order to install the ply lining into the recessed panels of the van (After insulating the panels first). The lining was cut from 5.5mm WBP ply and then overlaid with 3mm Wallboard before being sandwiched between the inner and outer window frames. I can now get on with the rest of the lining;

I should get a bit more done this weekend.

(I hope this worked. I've never posted photo's on this forum before!)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good job, on the van so far and getting the photos up.

Seems I've not thought things through enough. I was thinking that lining and insulating it out was first job. D'oh! What about the windows? I'm guessing a project like this takes quite some thinking through. Would you say you spent a lot of time planning before you started? Are you working to a kind of schedule or work order?

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Good job, on the van so far and getting the photos up.

Seems I've not thought things through enough. I was thinking that lining and insulating it out was first job. D'oh! What about the windows? I'm guessing a project like this takes quite some thinking through. Would you say you spent a lot of time planning before you started? Are you working to a kind of schedule or work order?

There is a lot of planning. For instance, I wanted the wiring behind the lining, purely because I don't like to see wires anywhere! So you need to plan where you are going to have lights, the fridge, the cooker (12v igniter), aerial booster, 12v sockets, 240 volt sockets, leisure batteries etc. etc. These also need different sizes of cables.

We are also having a solar panel so the cable for this will need to be fed through the roof to a charge controller, so this will have to be installed before the roof lining. As will the Roof light. Then of course there is the siting of gas bottles and pipes, and water tanks and pipes, all of which we want hidden.

Of course, it doesn't have to be like this. A mate of mine has just bought an ex Ambulance, which is already lined, has heating and lighting, so a lot of the work is already done and he is progressing far quicker than I am. Also, I once had a small Citroen Despatch with a roof tent on top and a camping stove and portaloo in the van. I had some fantastic trips in that van.

I am enjoying the project though, and we plan to keep this vehicle for many years, so it is important for us to get everything we want into the layout, although compromises do have to be made!

Half of the fun is in the planning though, and it has given my missus a new lease of life looking at cookers, trim, fridges, upholstery etc.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What age and mileage is your van? I've assumed it's s/hand. What are your views on this? For example old but low mileage, is it any worse option than newer but with medium mileage?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just curious about the wiring, what if you needed to make any changes? You'd have a job accessing the wiring.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
What age and mileage is your van? I've assumed it's s/hand. What are your views on this? For example old but low mileage, is it any worse option than newer but with medium mileage?

It's a 2012 model. Mileage is high at 114,000, but I would expect it to reach 300,000+. It is in extremely good condition though, the cab area being like new and it drives like a car. (Apart from the poor turning circle!).

There are pro's and con's with older/newer vehicles. Older vehicles tend to be simpler with less to go wrong. Newer vehicles tend to have Turbo's, computer's and the wretched Dual Mass Flywheel's, all of which are expensive to fix. I have many friends with older vehicles which have run for years with no problems. I would say that a Diesel engine is essential for longevity though!

Another thing which tempted me to buy the Renault Master was that it has a fully galvanised steel body, so I don't need to worry much about rust, which is the scourge of older vehicles.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Just curious about the wiring, what if you needed to make any changes? You'd have a job accessing the wiring.

Good point. The leisure batteries and distribution unit will be under a sofa at the front of the habitation unit. Wires will feed through under the shower/toilet into the 'garage' under the bed where they will be further spread up the walls and via the ceiling.

I have addressed the problem of adding or replacing wires by allowing channels via plastic piping through which I will leave a long piece of cord so that I can pull through any new wires.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You have planned well. I'll look forward to photos of your finished project if you care to share them. You said 3 months I think, is that still on?

We're unlikely to take the plunge until next year due to flux in our work situation. As soon as things settle down I think we'll be buying the van possibly spring next year That'll give us plenty of time for research and planning. Plus we've yet to finalize our requirements and use. Two or more thoughts on what we want. It does look like Vauxhall Vivaro / Renault trafic is going to be our van choice. They're gaining support as conversion base vans I believe and a few converters are even offering designs for them.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
You have planned well. I'll look forward to photos of your finished project if you care to share them. You said 3 months I think, is that still on?

We're unlikely to take the plunge until next year due to flux in our work situation. As soon as things settle down I think we'll be buying the van possibly spring next year That'll give us plenty of time for research and planning. Plus we've yet to finalize our requirements and use. Two or more thoughts on what we want. It does look like Vauxhall Vivaro / Renault trafic is going to be our van choice. They're gaining support as conversion base vans I believe and a few converters are even offering designs for them.

Yes I plan to have it finished by the end of October. I will add photo's to this thread as it progresses if that's ok.

I'm lucky in that I was able to take early retirement, so I am not confined to evenings/weekends, I do tend to get interrupted by the missus though requiring jobs around the house!

I know a few owners of Vivaro/Traffic campers, very handy size, quite economical too. Downside to owning such a vehicle, the wife can fit a hell of a lot of shopping inside!

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
@Robmc

How is your conversion going?

Sorry Paul, I've not been on the forum for a while as I got dragged out of retirement and have been working long hours!

Only one more week to work now (doing a mate a favour), then it's back to the van. I will post some pictures next week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE