New boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
I'm looking at getting some New boots this year, I'm torn between 3 pairs, Danner, alt berg and hanwag. What do you guys think? Or anything else to have a look at?

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Hanwag Grünten is my suggestion. No membrane, pretty light and sewn on soles that makes them replaceable. Just keep em greased up and change sole when needed and they will last you 15 years.

598f72db73693e10e5d184d9c44c1617.jpg

http://www.hanwag.com/grunten#details

Last edited:

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
Also look at Haix, danner weren't my favourites but hanwag and altbeg ive had where superb, I took a punt on haix after being so impressed by their work boots and I haven't been disappointed in them at all.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I have both Danner and Altberg. The Altberg soles have just separated from the upper......but i did buy them in 1995 and they have been used a great deal! I'm afraid that, unlike some, i love Danners. The thing is, you need to get the right fit and if you cannot try before you buy you run the risk of not getting that. The Danner sizes are pretty clear number wise but it's the width fitting that you need to get your head around. The numerical size is usually followed by a letter code. B = narrow, D = Medium, EE = Wide and 4E = XX Wide. There are also varying amounts of Insulation. It should state how much Insulation on the inner tag but an easy way to tell is, if the quilted lining is grey it is an uninsulated boot, if it is red it is insulated. I've had Danners since 1989 and swear by them, they have never let me down. The Altberg Peacekeepers i got in 1995 from Catterick Garrison are superb boots. They are light and breathable and, treated correctly, water resistant (heavy dew just runs off 'em).

I would recommend both Danners and Altbergs but i suspect you will not have much opportunity to try Danners before you buy so, if you do decide to, use a Brannock device to ensure you get the correct fit.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
What kind of walking are you planning on doing? I'd recommend the Salomon quest 4d's, Like wearing trainers even after several days in them. The brands you mention are all good makes, if you want to go with them then just go with what fits best. If your anywhere near Richmond then pop into the altberg factory and get measured for a pair to pretty much ensure a good fit.

Tonyuk

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hanwag Grünten is my suggestion. No membrane, pretty light and sewn on soles that makes them replaceable. Just keep em greased up and change sole when needed and they will last you 15 years.

598f72db73693e10e5d184d9c44c1617.jpg

http://www.hanwag.com/grunten#details

Most german and austrian makers have similar models. I.e. traditional alpine walking boots. Some are heavier than others though, meindl perfekt are made for fixed crampons etc. What I wonder if it's a genuine norweigan welt or if it's a mock-up? Anybody know? Compared to the glue jobs that are the norm today it would be tremendously better value.

As a general advice, compare weights! A kilo on your foot is five in the backpack...

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Most german and austrian makers have similar models. I.e. traditional alpine walking boots. Some are heavier than others though, meindl perfekt are made for fixed crampons etc. What I wonder if it's a genuine norweigan welt or if it's a mock-up? Anybody know? Compared to the glue jobs that are the norm today it would be tremendously better value.

As a general advice, compare weights! A kilo on your foot is five in the backpack...
It's not sewn through the outer sole, that much I can see.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Rickyd,

Here is my two pen'th:

This is based on my experience since leaving operational service but still deploying 3+ times a week into mostly woodland over the past 6 years. I cover between 5 and 15 miles each outing, mostly across country (not on tracks/paths) and I carry a ruck load of 15+kgs each trip. Some of my routes involve negotiating a lot of (sometimes deep) bramble which really tests a boot upper, plus knarly woods which test ankle support and wet areas testing the proofing.

Danner - leather outer, GTX membrane - GREY lining, Vibram sole - nice when new - but the leather (buffalo scrotum or something) became very 'sloppy' when saturated and didn't feel a good fit. Poor response from Danner when I came to replace them too. Another feature to beware of on Danners (if they still do it) is the wierd heel block (sloping not vertical on the leading edge) which were on a pair of Arcadias I had - not good on sloping muddy or rocky terrain I found.

Hanwag Special Forces - brown leather outer, GTX membrane, cambrelle lining, Vibram sole, speed lace eyelets - great ankle support, tough protective upper, grippy sole, lining still going strong after two years hard use - only complaint is that the brown surface of the outer showed black through very, very quickly when scuffed and the raised rand has come away slightly on the inside of one boot where the foot flexes. The ball bearing speed lace system is good to slacken the lace but slips back as you tie them unless you mess with it.

Aigle Hunter - fabric & reversed leather outer, GTX membrane, cambrelle lining, vibram sole - mega comfy and great ankle support (high leg). Outer has endured as much punishment as the Hanwag SF yet looks in far better condition. The Aigle has a nice touch where the raised rand comes right up the front of the boot and curves over a little way onto the toe (think bushcrafting/kneeling) - BUT the GTX membrane lasted only one season and the lace eyelets wear the laces! (I wonder why they've stopped making them?!!).

Altberg - ask the infantry - ARS. (Better qualify that - Army Rumour Service).

(Breathable!) membrane lined boots -depending on the outer fabric, your boot maintenance and your hygiene regimes - could be a waste of (that extra) money. Plaster waterproofing on leather or don't clean mud off fabric and the breath-ability may be compromised so pointless. Fail to keep toe nails trimmed and you might wear the lining and membrane out before the sole

Membrane lined boots can become very hot if you are on the move a lot and carrying weight - perhaps consider a leather lined boot (mega comfy) and a separate boot liner like Seelskinz for use when you know/think they are necessary.
Membrane linings eventually give out, some sooner than others.

Re keeping a pair of boots for 15 years!!!
Yes, you might be able to replace the soles but will you still get the same arch and ankle support; instep protection etc from the uppers?
Consider - boot leather is only skin - it will degrade and be aware - a boot will wear on the inside too and when it does - welcome to blister country if you can't sort the lining/membrane!
And not forgetting the hygiene issue - consider how often a boot gets wet from the inside not just the outer.
I would like mine to last five years max but on current experience I'm reckoning with 3.

Its probably worth pointing out that over that same period I have also used and worn out a pair of Muckboot Toray wellies and currently have a pair of Muckboots with a vibram sole on the go - both very useful alternatives to a lace boot when ground conditions get really silly.

My next pair? - Hanwag SF leather lined. (When I have the money!)

Hope this gives you food for thought.

PS - nobody read anything into the Danner boot image - the raised trouser leg is just for the boot demo purpose!:lmao:

Danner.jpg Hanwag SF.jpg Aigle.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE