Trangia Spirit Burner fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Hi
I was thinking of trying out a Trangia Spirit Burner,
What fuel is the best to use and where is a good place to buy the fuel from?
Many thanks
Con

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Methylated spirit from B&M Stores, hope they still have it in stock for you, t'was very cheap there.

Also good imho, "Hacienda" fireplace fuel from B&Q.

Last edited:

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
As well as meths you can use Bio Ethanol (its what I use), it burns cleaner with less odour/smell than meths. It's marginally faster at boiling too.

I buy it in bulk and collect it from the shop as its local to me (within 10 miles) so it works out at less than £2 a ltr for 12 x 1 ltr bottles with the collection discount.

This is what I use, although there are other suppliers;

http://ekofuel.org/alcohol-camping-fuel.html

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
As well as meths you can use Bio Ethanol (its what I use), it burns cleaner with less odour/smell than meths. It's marginally faster at boiling too.
/QUOTE]

What andywragg says, the "Hacienda" is bio-ethanol, B&Q ain't the cheapest :(.

Last edited:

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Thanks for the replies, I've heard certain fuels smell really bad, I don't want anything like that..so I'll have a look at Bio Ethanol

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I think it was mentioned on here recently but it's worth another mention Home Bargains have been selling (and still are in my local branch at least) Methylated spirit at 99p for a 500ml bottle. As an aside, they also sell the small 'flat' 250ml bottles of Listerine mouth wash cheaply, though the mouth wash is very good and obviously serves a good purpose the bottles too are extremely useful for carrying Meths in, I have been using them for a couple of years and not had a bottle leak or deteriorate so far.

D.B.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Oops, sorry, my bad.

It was as Drain Bamaged said, Home Bargains that were selling the Methylated spirit at 99p for a 500ml. (Not B&M Stores).

:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE