And fight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mmmmm, tasty.

Shown my wife, her instant reaction was urgh! Why would you want to drink something someone's messed about with?

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I suspect that stuff tastes so vile, it has to be drunk with milk and sugar so as not to notice. In other words, what Camp Coffee was to coffee. In the late 1960s someone brought out a tea in freeze dried granules, complete with real citric acid ersatz lemon flavouring (as supplied to Soviet cosmonauts, who didn't really have much choice). For some reason, that never caught on.

When out and about I carry with me a little plastic mesh strainer that sits on the lip of my canteen mug, into which I put some real loose leaf tea (Like Toddy, I'm a Russian Caravan fan) and add boiling water. The leaves biodegrade on their own quicker than a used tea bag - what really is the problem?

Nick.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No way, what's the point?
Exactly! ...besides , how am I ment to get my bag squeezed?
Can't have tea if my bag hadn't been squeezed..

What's the world coming to hey?
😁

Now powdered beer... That would be a good idea, just add water and voila!
Much easier to carry a six pack like that , but somehow I don't think that will come around in my lifetime , and even if it did it would probably taste horrendous...

...just planting seeds....

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wonder if folk had the same reaction when the teabag was invented 100+ years ago. I mean sticking paper in your tea yuk...

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
It's a bit like instant coffee take a perfectly good product and ruin it. It's like all this deconstructed cooking rubbish. I can feel a midlife rant coming on!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
They have just tried this product on Sunday Brunch...
the consensus is that it tastes like stewed tea and one comment was "tastes like bathwater"! :lmao:

Rob.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
They have just tried this product on Sunday Brunch...
the consensus is that it tastes like stewed tea and one comment was "tastes like bathwater"! :lmao:

Rob.
Just watched that to. looked more like a coffee!

much rather use typhoo QT. Yeah they just changed the recipe so not as nice as it was before, but at 99p for 50 cups compared to £5 for 20 of this bath water lol

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wonder if folk had the same reaction when the teabag was invented 100+ years ago. I mean sticking paper in your tea yuk...

IIRC a company started selling samples in fabric bags, people started using them "as is", the rest is history (https://www.tea.co.uk/the-history-of-the-tea-bag agrees with my memory, and is thus an authorative source :) ).

As for my own tea drinking, when out I either drink whatever sencha took my fancy when I packed, hojicha (roasted bancha) or something I picked in the woods where I camp. The first calls for 80 C water (mix 4/5 boiling and 1/5 cold water), the other generally boiling water. I use either a large mesh "tea ball", or a filter bag to take it out of the water when the steeping time is over.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Actually the first tea bags were fabric ... silk I think...

I never knew that, so I Wiki'd it... it reckons the original tea bags in China were paper squares, but when the tea bag came to Western civilisation, they were hand-sewn fabric bags. The loose leaves were s'posed to be removed from the bags to be used, but people found it easier to just use the leaves in the bag.

Edit: Presuming Wiki is right btw... could be they've got it wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE