Hammock Tips & Tricks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good Evening Everyone,

I know there are a million and 1 ways to hammock camp but i'm looking for what are YOUR personal favourite "tips & tricks" like little modifications you've done that you just couldn't imagine not using now. I'm not talking things like using whoopies instead of webbing, an under quilt instead of matt etc. I'm talking abut this little things - For example mine are:

- I use a wool picnic blanket rather than an old tarp on the floor under my tarp, I like having the soft/warm dry area to sit on when cooking, its warmer on my feet etc

- I tie a ridgeline between the two gathered ends of my hammock to take the tension and keep my hammock "sagging"

- to this ridgeline I connect a stuff sack to put my "bits" in over night. Phone, headtorch, keys etc

- I like having my hammock very close to the ground, mainly so I have access to everything underneath me, I can use it as a seat and based on one previous bad experience with my webbing snapping (i'm only 11 stone!) I don't want as far to fall this time! :lmao:

So what are yours?

Cheers
BCM

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
1, Bath pouf net hammock sleeve :- I saw this on youtube a while ago then another member on here posted a link shortly afterwards :) Anyway a bath body scrub pouf thing - beware buying from e-bay as they tend to be too small, Tesco IIRC are 75p. You snip the string holding it scrunched up and it opens out into a long net tube, stretchy to easily go around the hammock keeps it in a nice compact tube so once hung can be kept out of the wind to stop it billowing out like a sail. They are pretty fragile though so you do have to be careful with them.

2, prussic on ridgeline :- used to hang a torch on a carabiner on it can slide to where I want it but not slide off on it's own.

3, Velcro loops on a pouch :- Velcro loop a pouch to the ridgeline to use as a dump pouch for wallet, glasses, keys etc.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I have the Hennessy hammock, it has an internal hanging net which I put my phone and a small bottle of water in for the night.

I hang my head torch and car key on the internal ridgeline at night.

I take a fabric conditioner bottle in with me for a pee bottle (wide mouth) lol :lmao:

I put a small piece of breathable groundsheet underneath for standing on when getting in and out.

2 sticks in the ground for my boots at night located near the hammock entrance.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Enjoying the tips hope they long continue.

+1 for a pee bottle.

Also I like the rocking motion in the hammock so have sometimes tied a line I can pull to start swaying.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Structural ridgeline make it really easy to get rhe sag in your hammock right every time. Especially if hanging between trees that are not the optimum distance apart.

DSC_0328.jpg

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I have the TW Green Hornet - the double zip version. I've tied some Grizzly Cub cord to the zip pullers so I don't have to reach far to pull the zips shut.(open the zips fully then tie a piece of cord to each end).

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hmm not a technical tip, but still handy.

Don't wait till you are camping to use the hammock. Take it out set it up in the woods after work and mess around. Even if you think you have it nailed. It gives you much more experience but also you don't have the urgency of needing to sleep in it, or getting it sorted before you run out of light. The bonus is its a great way to relax in the woods.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Hot water bottle for pee bottle, it has a lip on it, seals watertight and holds a lot.

2 stakes in ground for boots to be put on upside down, no bugs in morning

Wool blanket/poncho. Just because

forestwalker

* Short bungee loops where the tarp meets the guylines: keeps it taught and protects the tarp somewhat

* A short loop of cord on the zipper-pull, makes it possible to open/close the zipper with your toes (I have the Hennesey exped asym *zip*)

* A piece of shrink-wrap on the main rope on the head end: I can tell which way is which while the hammock is inside the snakeskins

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I put a loop off red string on the head end of all my hammocks and UQ's.

Also i always pack hammocks foot end first.........go in feet first, come out head first

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I came up with this one last weekend, it was too hot to actually wear a jumper, I had no day bag with me so I tied my jumper around my waist. When it was actually cold enough to warrant a jumper I went and got a zipped fleece [I had forgotten I had a jumper tied around my waist] When going to bed I left the jumper tied around me and this provided another layer of warmth around my bum and the back of my upper legs - nice and toasty :).

So, tie a jumper around your waist at bed time.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I make a tripod to hang my pack on.
This keeps your pack off the floor and enables you to reach into your pack whilst still in the hammock. Add a cross-member to the front to stop the pack swinging underneath the tripod.

IMAG4525_zpscfb3c676.jpg

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Just thought of one more which has I used so much I think is obvious. Setting up with a marlin spike hitch I use the carabiner on my hammock as the spike instead of carrying a toggle

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
A little Vaseline on the rope, between the knots and the hammock, will keep out pesky ants; discovered this at 4am, 3 bites (stings) too late :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE