A bargain tarp (possibly)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I've just found this in my local Lidl, I thought it was worth a punt at £19.99!!

4.3m x 3.5m, PU coated polyurethane, 2000mm hydrostatic head, winged shape by the looks of it. Comes with poles and guys, which I'll probably bin off/ replace. If it's total carp then it'll do for a shade shelter for the kids, but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Happy bargain hunting!

James

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You got stung,

They were £15 in my local aldi :) Almost bought one just for a bit more cover when camping in the bell-tent but didnt have any money on me. Might go back depending on your review.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
You got stung,

They were £15 in my local aldi :) Almost bought one just for a bit more cover when camping in the bell-tent but didnt have any money on me. Might go back depending on your review.

Aah knackers :lmao: and there's me thinking I'd been clever! I'll pop it up tonight and let you know my thoughts later. :)

James

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is pretty much identical to the one I have for the bell tent... they're good, but 'sail' is the right word. When the wind picks up, I've learned the hard way that it is best to take it down. The poles don't look as heavy duty as the ones I have with mine... but then mine cost somewhere around the £50 mark.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I've seen these in the flesh - a friend of mine got one. From what I saw it's not up to much. The grommets were torn off the fabric with very little pressure, and it disintegrated rapidly from there. We never even got to see if it was waterproof, but they're marketed as sun shade rather than rain protection, so I wouldn't be too optimistic.

But maybe your one is better. Here's hoping!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Funny you should mention bell tents as I'm investigating a viable approach to dying one OD.

Clearly no self-respecting Bushcrafter should deploy a beige tarp in a woodland!

K

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
And the verdict is........ it's not entirely terrible.

Good:
The shape is great, very useful. Material is decent, not too thick. Sealed seams. Webbing tabs and gussets on all corners. Stitching is adequate but not the neatest. The poles are reasonable quality, but I wouldn't use them so that's a bit moot.
I quite like the colour! Not everything in the woods has to be OD ;)

Bad:
Guys are cheap cord. Eyelets punched through the webbing tabs would create a weak point. No ridge line tabs.

Pics:

Ridge tabs are stitched further into the tarp, but have eyelets in

Corner tabs are adequate but would probably befit from some reinforcement

Unfortunately mine will be going back as it has some damage, looks like it got pinched in something at some point:

All in all, you pays your money you makes your choice. Is it DD quality? No. But if you get in from Aldi rather than Lidl, it's half the price of a DD.

I don't feel robbed for the money but I wanted something for regular use in bad weather, this wouldn't be it.

James

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Holy mushrooms and chicken broth! That is thin!!! :Wow:

I take it back on the comparison to the one I have... mine is much thicker. Looks the same from a distance, but blimey chief... that's not a tarp, it's a mozzy net!

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
Dont they have a good returns policy? (12 months?) - use it like it was designed for and it it fails within the returns period just take it back

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
My wife came home with one of these looking pleased as punch.. We put it up in the garden for my 2 yr olds birthday party.. One gust of (I guess 25mph) wind and it tore the eyelet out of one end!

Put up my D&D tarp and it survived perfectly fine even through the following storm... Oh and the kiddies the next day.

So I'd say they are cheap and probably only good for a sunshade on a baking hot still summer day... if we get those?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
6cb6856685b78eff14b9be6b11a35f04.jpg

Heres ours in the helsport
Works a treat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE