knife kits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TemplarRA

Sep 2, 2016
Wiltshire
I carry once in the woods, a Norwegian Stromëng survival knife, it's a large blade but very well made and provides me with all the means to prepare and light a fire.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2016
hengoed
i use a extrema ratio selvans,its a beast of a knife and worth 366 quid, it does everything i need it to,it does the work like a hatchet and a bushcraft knife.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
hi all, what do you all carry as your primary knife and what cool cool gadgets do you have with it?

I generally carry three tools, a small fixed blade (BRK Imp), a larger blade (8'' khukri) and a saw (Boreal21).

I believe I could do everything I needed to with just the Imp and the Boreal21 but of course it is nice to have a longer heavier blade to help de-branching limbs and the odd bit of batoning.

Personally I love the form factor of the Imp. A full four finger handle and a short blade make for a stout and very people friendly knife. I will quite happily wear it on a busy trail whereas the khukri feels much more conspicuous to carry.

The saw is AWESOME. I mean it. I used to carry a Bahco laplander (and still do occasionally) but going to a full 21'' saw you really appreciate the Bahco is a pruning saw and not intended for heavy work. I can process a lot of firewood with the bow saw and much more safely (and quietly) than someone with an axe. Most recently I don't even split my firewood, I just section it down to useable lengths and fire it on, hence my previous comment about only needing the Imp and saw.

My next purchase will be a 1/2 pound hatchet to replace the khukri for similar weight (350g or so) rather than scaling up to a full sized hatchet. All I intend to use it for is kindling prepping. I believe it'll also be much easier to keep sharp than the khukri (soft heat treat and a recurve...) as it is a much less cutting edge.

The final piece of gear I take is a little 4'' strop and a lengths of 800grit wet and dry in case I need to do any sharpening. I'm not completely happy with this solution and I am debating switching to an actual stone.

DSCF6770.jpg

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I bought a vaughan sub zero 10 inch axe of ebay for about £15. It looks like a toy. I put a couple of hours work in to it and I'm pretty convinced it would out chop any of my considerably more expensive large knives.
Victorinox alox farmer as an everyday knife, and victorinox rangergrip 79 if I'm doing something more vigorous -but bigger than 3 inches and locks -so need good reason.
I also like silky saws -much better than bow saws for me personally.
Darren

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I stick to a little Ben Orford Nomad these days... it does 95% of what I need.

If i'm clearing an area or generally playing around I have a Ben Orford Eban Parang.

On the kydex sheath for the nomad I have a paracord length that goes around my neck and off it hangs a tiny torch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE