Your best feather stick knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
Apologies if this has been done before. What is your most effective feather stick making knife? Pictures would be good too, although I can't do them. Probably my best is a Bark River Blackwater boot knife 2.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Any sharp knife will do but I found the beautiful curly feathers are easier to make if you use the curved bit leading to the tip of the blade.

A crook knife or spoon knife seems to work really well too...

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Any sharp blade will make feathers, once you adjust to the grind/bevel angle.
Its a lot like finding the bite on a car clutch your not used too.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As above feather sticks and gypsy flowers demonstrate a good degree of knife control. Adapting the angle of the blade to place the curl next to the previous one.

Most people find a Scandi Grind easier to start with but with practice any tool will do. Axe, knife, crook and drawknife.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A Mick Spain. No competition, but hard to find.

Bushcraft Kit Beaver works well, but a little harsh on the thumb. And yes I should be asleep but I'm waiting on the wee sprog that'll make me a grandad. :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Agree that any sharp knife should do it, but i'm gonna stick my neck out and say a convex grind is 'best' for making curls

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Best would be my carving knife, thin and super sharp. But that one would never hold for anything else bushcrafty, too delicate and specialized.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
My Gary Mills Timberwolf, it's supposed to be a scandi but I think of it as more of a scandivex, next would be the Condor bushlore, although to be fair I have not yet tried doing them with a hollow grind knife so that may change...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'd have thought that it's the wood, rather than the knife, that's the key to good feather sticks. Any sharp knife will produce a good one; in terms of wood, as long as it's dry but not punky, you should be OK.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I hope he arrived safely and healthily. It's such an exciting thing becoming a grandad.

He did, thanks. :). Was a long night. Fell asleep around 3, couldn't help it. Got 3 hrs before the phone call.

Back on topic, I just rediscovered my Brusletto Balder in my cupboard. Tiny, fat handled, carving marvel.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Congratulations -all the best bits of parenthood and you can hand them back at the end of the day.
Christening knife perhaps? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE