Can anyone tell me what sort of deer this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
14115641_10153693587922484_4420367609270739599_o.jpg

Picked up this afternoon on Kent/Sussex border near Pembury. They all look the same to me at this age. Roe? Sika?

In lovely condition - nearly all the carcass was usable.

Blog post: http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/?p=1704

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Cheers. Don't think I've had roadkill fallow deer before - the other ones I've picked up were all roe or sika. It is indeed very tasty and very tender. Just tried a bit off the end of the saddle.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Agree it's a fallow but I'm curious to know why people ruled out Sika. The white patches on the back legs you get on Sika are obscured by Geoff's hands and young Sika are similar to young fallow, you also can't see the middle of the back. I know the white line doesn't run up the back leg of Sika and AFAIK you don't get them in Kent/Suusex, just wondering if I've missed anything?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very nice find!
Do you mind me asking if it was roadkill? If it was , then wow! Fantastic condition.
Not a visible rupture...

Will you be hanging the meat for a couple of weeks or straight in the freezer (and/or oven)?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Very nice find!
Do you mind me asking if it was roadkill? If it was , then wow! Fantastic condition.
Not a visible rupture...

Yes it was roadkill, and as good as roadkill gets. Still had rigor mortis, so fresh. Nice young animal, so tender and relatively easy to butcher. The only major damage was to the side of the ribcage and some of the internal organs, including the liver, but the guts were intact. See blog post for more (link in my tagline below).

Will you be hanging the meat for a couple of weeks or straight in the freezer (and/or oven)?

I don't hang roadkill - better to get sorted out quicker than that, just to be safe. There are other ways of tenderising the meat. It is currently still bagged up in my kitchen, to let the last of the blood out of the meat, but it will be going in the freezer very soon.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Agree it's a fallow but I'm curious to know why people ruled out Sika. The white patches on the back legs you get on Sika are obscured by Geoff's hands and young Sika are similar to young fallow, you also can't see the middle of the back. I know the white line doesn't run up the back leg of Sika and AFAIK you don't get them in Kent/Suusex, just wondering if I've missed anything?

There are Sika in Sussex, although I don't know how extensive they are.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks

I looked at the photo and straight away said Fallow - but I'm not familiar with young Sika so that was interesting Slowworm and something I'll bear in mind in future.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nice , thanks for the info.
Good find indeed!

(Note to self: research ways to tenderise meat , other than hanging)

That's the work lunch box sorted for weeks to come no doubt.

I love venison , and cold venison and wholegrain mustard sandwiches are just divine...
Even my usually crazy dog is as good as gold when they come out...

:)

Cheers

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Nice , thanks for the info.
Good find indeed!

(Note to self: research ways to tenderise meat , other than hanging)

Well you can just cook it low and slow, for a start.

Even my usually crazy dog is as good as gold when they come out...

I have a 5 month old labradoodle puppy that had never seen a dead animal before this afternoon. Initially whimpered, then barked and growled at it in a way we've not see her do before. I think she was upset because it wouldn't play with her. But she wolfed down her first bowlful of trimmings this evening, and has been following me around ever since.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Well you can just cook it low and slow, for a start.

I have a 5 month old labradoodle puppy that had never seen a dead animal before this afternoon. Initially whimpered, then barked and growled at it in a way we've not see her do before. I think she was upset because it wouldn't play with her. But she wolfed down her first bowlful of trimmings this evening, and has been following me around ever since.

Hahahah!
And she'l follow you for a while yet, coz even after your bath , the scent of that meat will still be driving her nuts...:)

Thanks for the tips Geoff!

Ps-

With Autumn nearly here now, can't wait for them Chanterelles and Hedgehog fungus... ;)
And for that very anticipated book of yours!

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
With Autumn nearly here now, can't wait for them Chanterelles and Hedgehog fungus... ;)
And for that very anticipated book of yours!

I've seen plenty of other people posting photos of both those species already in various places. I'm actually enjoying not spending August and early September scouring the countryside in search of fungi - done it so much the last three years that it is nice to be doing something else. Which is why I was cruising the A21 in search of self-seeded fruit trees and any plants I don't recognise. There is a second book in the pipeline, on plant foraging...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I've seen plenty of other people posting photos of both those species already in various places. I'm actually enjoying not spending August and early September scouring the countryside in search of fungi - done it so much the last three years that it is nice to be doing something else. Which is why I was cruising the A21 in search of self-seeded fruit trees and any plants I don't recognise. There is a second book in the pipeline, on plant foraging...
Nice! That's a great idea, as you said before there's definitely a gap in the market there...

Also may I just thank you for pointing out the mistakes (on that other thread) on the gem series and the other big Mabey book on fungui.
I was not aware of these errors and have been using these books as reference for years!
Always very cautious and I tend to stick to what I know, but slowly my taste buds and adventurous side tend to expand at a 2 to 3 species a year , so it would be inevitable to eventually get poisoned .
So I'm very grateful to your knowledge...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....(Note to self: research ways to tenderise meat , other than hanging).....

Slice the steaks less than an inch thick and beat the snot out of them with a meat hammer. Beat them down to about half their original thickness. Then, and only then, flour them and fry them.

Country-Fried-Venison-14-620x413.png

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Slice the steaks less than an inch thick and beat the snot out of them with a meat hammer. Beat them down to about half their original thickness. Then, and only then, flour them and fry them.

Country-Fried-Venison-14-620x413.png
Nice , thanks for the tip santaman!
Them cauliflower you got there, did you colour that with some braised red cabbage or is that for real?
That looks all delicious...
Anyways , waaaay off topic . Apologies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE