Alternative to a machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Frankly speaking, if I should see somebody clearing a footpath with a machete, my first thought would not be one of fear. My first thought would be " what a nice person that is, clearing the path for my convenience"!

Welcome to modern britain mate.....it breaks my heart, it really does

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Dress in a pair of overalls and a hi-vis. If questioned why you have a machete just say you work for the council/environment agency/forestry service clearing paths etc.. What they don't know wont hurt them.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Surely if this is public land and you run the risk of being seen by less knife experienced members of the public you are going to find it difficult to justify wandering around with any +3inch blade no? If the police were wandering around of course?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

No not a problem - you have a right to remove obstructions from a public right of way. You just need to ensure that the tool you use is appropriate for the task at hand. So cutting back nettles, brambles, a grass hook (sickle) is an appropriate tool. If a landowner had erected a fence across a footpath, without providing a method of access (eg a stile or gate) you'd be justified taking a saw to it (assuming it was a public right of way and not a permissive footpath or a path where access can be temporarily suspended to allow for shooting etc - it would be your responsibility to determine that the path is a public right of way - don't just assume that it is and also even then, you'd only be legally allowed to do the minimum required to make the way passable). Note, it would still be irresponsible if your work allowed livestock to stray - in which case you'd be more sensible to contact the appropriate officer at the council.
Obviously you'd be sensible to transport your tool(s) to the site in a discrete manner. Walking down the highstreet with your scythe probably will get you some attention!
In the past, I've had to clear a number of blocked footpaths. Usually just nettles and overgrown bushes on little used paths but occasionally sawing trees that had fallen across the path. Landowners have a responsibility to maintain rights of way across their land but for many this can be an onerous task and most that I've come across are reasonable and are happy if someone else lends a hand ( even in an impromptu manner). Of course there are always some who can be stroppy and don't like anyone on their land even where there is a right of access! But then there are a few awkward b***ers in every walk of life.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If its just for getting through a few nettles any old wooden broom handle will do, should cost about £2 in a diy shop.

Tonyuk

And that would look...a bit odd :lmao:

Any stick can do that, but I'd feel like a prat if I was out on a walk carrying a broomstick. I think the guy is after an inconspicuous chopper for cutting back bramble and branch. Big Opi, Rajah II, Cold Steel Espada xl, that kinda thing. Stashable folder with secondary uses?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The hands down best tools are going to be a solid walking stick, a pair of secateurs and a leather glove. In fact, if you can't do the trimming with a 3" pocket knife and snap cuts, then the secateurs are very good. They will cut thicker material with less energy, in tighter spaces, more neatly than any swung blade. They aren't super light, but they are no heavier than a six or seven inch knife, but require no subterfuge or justifications.

I have been on walks where I have had side by side comparison of secateurs vs blades and I hate to say that the garden pruners were the more sensible choice. My mum (now 71) uses the secateurs and I have used four and six inch blades and an 18" bladed parang. I like the blades, but they require a lot more movement to use and over the course of a walk they were not more effective. For clearing an area of nettles and brambles, sure, the 18" blade won hands down, but then one is out to clear paths and not walk along them.

The gardening/agriculture bladed tools would not need much explanation if the paths were really over grown, but they tend to be rather heavy and bulky and are more appropriate for going to clear paths rather than going for a walk and just trimming the odd bit of greenery.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
And that would look...a bit odd :lmao:

Any stick can do that, but I'd feel like a prat if I was out on a walk carrying a broomstick. I think the guy is after an inconspicuous chopper for cutting back bramble and branch. Big Opi, Rajah II, Cold Steel Espada xl, that kinda thing. Stashable folder with secondary uses?

Less odd than being caught with a folding kukri, costing over £100, to clear some nettles. Like you say any stick will do but they're a decent length and very cheap.

Tonyuk

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
d3d78d73b768d3cee085dbcf8892634c.jpg

Your proberly best with a pair of these, and I doubt the public would look at you funny for using them

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Locally the hiking clubs hold work days soley for the purpose of trail maintenance. The preferred tools include axes and chain saws to clear large blowdowns among other things.

But for the everyday hiker just wanting to get through brambles, my preference was always to:
-Step on it or over it,
-duck under it,
-push it aside, or
-walk around it.

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm paying an actor to arrive 5 minutes late for my funeral dressed like this. He's to say nothing, just loom at the back and leave 5 mins before the close of the proceedings.

Removed by forum Moderator

Please re-acquaint yourself with the forum rules, this will not be tolerated again.

Ogri the trog
Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE