Traditional American pattern pocket knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Do you think the quality of the case and old timers has dropped over the years? I think the old tiners are made in china now :(

Fielder, have you considered a leather pocket slip with a lanyard? That'd keep the knife secure to a belt loop without needing a clip or belt sheath.

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
Do you think the quality of the case and old timers has dropped over the years? I think the old tiners are made in china now :(

- not sure about that, you may be right, but I thought they were all made Stateside still..........ones worth getting though are the Bose Case collabs

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
This may sound like heresy but I would love a traditional like this, but with a pocket clip. My traditional slip out of my pocket accidentally far too easily.

- ever tried a horizontal pouch...

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0544_1.jpg

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I quite like pocket slips for small folders without a pocket clip. It keeps them out of sight, which can be handy in many places.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Fielder, have you considered a leather pocket slip with a lanyard? That'd keep the knife secure to a belt loop without needing a clip or belt sheath.

case can be a bit hit and miss with the QC

modern schrades are indeed made in china as someone bought them out. They also did away with the carbon steel range

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm still looking for one...
Hard to come by here in the UK.
I will continue my quest.

They are just beautiful and they sure last a lifetime if looked after.

Here's something I borrowed off the tinternet for illustration purposes, it's an old advertising poster for it.

bda2e9d550c3161a1683f359b61d2ffa.jpg

:)

I had one, sold it years ago and regret it.

I just searched out the old sale thread (back in 2005) and I said in it that I would regret it. :D

£20! Should have kept it!!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I had one, sold it years ago and regret it.

I just searched out the old sale thread (back in 2005) and I said in it that I would regret it. :D

£20! Should have kept it!!
Seriously man, £20???!!
The buyer must have snapped it in a blink of an eye...
Hopefully he uses it and looks after it.
Mustn't dwell on it, what's done is done and the karma will come back around when you next find a bargain! ;)

I must admit this thread is driving me bonkers, there's loads of knives I hadn't even heard of ... My wish list is growing at silly pace, it's not even funny.
Keep it coming guys !

👍

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Seriously man, £20???!!
The buyer must have snapped it in a blink of an eye...
Hopefully he uses it and looks after it.
Mustn't dwell on it, what's done is done and the karma will come back around when you next find a bargain! ;)

I must admit this thread is driving me bonkers, there's loads of knives I hadn't even heard of ... My wish list is growing at silly pace, it's not even funny.
Keep it coming guys !



I have a feeling that it was Gary from Bearclaw Bushcraft that bought it.

It's on my list of one that I want back but I think I should make my own! I'll get there eventually......

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland

modern schrades are indeed made in china as someone bought them out. They also did away with the carbon steel range

It's the made in American and higher QC that's drawing me towards Great Eastern Cutlery. It's a shame they are so difficult to come by due to the limited runs. But I have my eye out for that 'dixie stockman' now... Not that I'm not looking for others too! Haha

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's the made in American and higher QC that's drawing me towards Great Eastern Cutlery. It's a shame they are so difficult to come by due to the limited runs. But I have my eye out for that 'dixie stockman' now... Not that I'm not looking for others too! Haha
Yep, that Dixie stockman sure looks good!
They're not easy to find , but the Wilderness Gathering is fast approaching and I got a feeling there will be a few knife stands there...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do you think the quality of the case and old timers has dropped over the years? I think the old tiners are made in china now :(....

Case have different levels now; some made in the US and others in China. I haven't bought a new one in ages so I don't remember what I read about how to tell the difference (other than the obvious "Made in America" stamped on them)

Schrade are all made in China now as far as I know, but again, I haven't bought a new one in ages so I'm not in a position to know about the current quality.

Queen Cutlery are all still made in the US but I've never had one of their folders. I did have one of their fixed blades when I was a kid/teenager though and it was fantastic. If their folders are the same quality (and that quality is still the same as then) I'd love to try one.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
They're not easy to find , but the Wilderness Gathering is fast approaching and I got a feeling there will be a few knife stands there...

Schrade are made in Ireland.

since when? they were bought out by tailor brands in 2000 and something, all the blades are marked made in china.

even if they are assembeled elsewhere I doubt they'd ship to Ireland when it would be cheaper and easier QC to stick with the factories all the others are using roughrider etc. who are producing similar quality knives

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
a quick google states they had a european base in Ireland at the time they were bought out but it shut down some time ago.

You might find an example or 2 but the quality of the knives was questioned as not as good as the US made stuff though

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Moonraker are usually at the WG as the owner lives a mile away and he usually has US knives..also Mike's Knives were there last year with loads...in fact I bought a Tidioute !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE